Gransnet forums

Health

Eyes

(9 Posts)
PaulGrant Wed 24-Aug-16 21:14:24

I was not sure where to put this one, so hear goes.
Do we have any Opticians on here. I ask because I am worried about my Grandaughter. She regularly stands about 6in. away from the TV screen. I keep on telling her (she is 3) but obviously she does not understand. I do tell my Daughter but she does not seem to worry.
What I want is details of what will happen to her eyes if this continues. I think this will be the only thing my Daughter will listen to.

Deedaa Wed 24-Aug-16 22:02:20

Judging by my grandsons I would say that nothing at all will happen to her eyes. GS2 is three and a half and always sits with his nose on the screen. His nine year old brother was the same but there's been no ill effect.

tanith Wed 24-Aug-16 22:08:03

I have to agree although my son is now 40 he still doesn't need glasses but spent his childhood inches from the tv he was obsessed with Star Wars and watched those videos over and over when he was a boy. His eyes seem to of not suffered in any way.

Anniebach Wed 24-Aug-16 22:19:54

My younger daughter sst fsr too close to the TV set, when she was five she had the usual first hearing test in school and was partially deaf, her eye sight is perfect

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:30:02

DD2 used to sit right in front of the tv but then we got a little chair which she liked so I put the chair further away from the screen.
Not that she watched much.

The other solution would be not to turn it on.

Evenstar Tue 30-Aug-16 18:33:51

I used to always sit really close to the TV. I can remember my Dad asking me if I had a walk on part ?
I have terrible eyesight I don't think sitting on top of the TV as a child played much of a part in it really.

Wobblybits Tue 30-Aug-16 18:43:21

Old CRT TV tubes, I think gave out radiation that may have damaged the eyes. Modern TV's don't give anything off that can harm, and with the very high resolutions, I doubt it would do any more harm than reading a book close up. But I am not qualified in any way, just my opinion.

Willow500 Wed 31-Aug-16 17:12:46

I have atrocious eyesight but never sat close to the tv as a child so I don't think there's any connection - my mother always blamed mine on measles!

whitewave Wed 31-Aug-16 19:05:22

Tinies tend to watch up close given the opportunity. I think the real way to tell is ask yourself how she looks at books and I bet it s normal distance .