Gransnet forums

Health

Dislocated my pinky toe!

(12 Posts)
Linsco56 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:02:13

Making my way to bed last night, in bare feet, I kicked the right angle of the skirting board in my hall. After a few expletives, I noticed my toe was sticking out at an angle. Rightly or wrongly, I whacked it back into place and sat in the edge of the bath and ran cold water on my foot until it was almost numb then I massaged in some Arnica cream took a painkiller and went to bed.

This morning, apart from some bruising above my toe, all is well. How good is that!

AlieOxon Fri 26-Aug-16 10:04:41

OMG how sensible! From what I know it would have been much more painful by morning............

AlieOxon Fri 26-Aug-16 10:05:36

So long as you knew it was dislocated and not broken.

Linsco56 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:08:48

My reaction was more instinctive than anything else and I think I'll be wearing flip flops for a few days but all in all it's not too bad.

Auntieflo Fri 26-Aug-16 10:40:15

Well done Linsco. Ages ago I did a similar thing to the toe next to my pinkie toe, and splinted it with a lolly stick. It's a wee bit shorter now, but has been no bother.

Alima Fri 26-Aug-16 10:47:44

That sounds incredibly painful but hopefully you took the correct action. Had it been me I would probably have done what normally happens and fainted.

loopylou Fri 26-Aug-16 11:07:12

Ouch, I've done it several times clumsy? moi? and like you I've pushed it back into place.
It's going to be sore for a few days (I did my big toe once, that really was painful!)

harrigran Fri 26-Aug-16 16:21:11

I did this too a couple of years ago, pulled it back into place but was so horrendously painful I went to hospital and it was broken. I have done it again twice in the last few weeks and the toe is black, in fact so black I am wondering if it is gangrene.

Linsco56 Fri 26-Aug-16 16:39:00

Oh no harrigran! Don't say that! Do you have poor circulation in your feet?

BBbevan Fri 26-Aug-16 17:06:54

DH did that on the end of the bed. Luckily it was summer and he could wear sandals.

harrigran Fri 26-Aug-16 23:28:30

My circulation is fine Linsco, I was just born clumsy. When I broke my toe it was winter and I was on my own because DH was working away from home. I shivered with shock all night but would not go to A and E until it was daylight and then I got a taxi because couldn't get shoe on. After that I went out and bought a pair of shoes with Velcro in one size bigger, I will not get caught out again.
DH does the bed frame thing nearly every night, he insists I turn my light out and he comes out of the en-suite in the dark and bam I am wide awake again.

Ilrina Sat 27-Aug-16 00:01:18

Well done, but it made my eyes water just to read about it ! Hope it isn't too painful flowers