Gransnet forums

Health

How to keep my husband occupied in hospital.

(30 Posts)
Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 09:22:48

My DH is in hospital for six weeks (at least). He's already done two but is extremely bored which is making him depressed.
Unfortunately, he is not very good, to put it mildly, with technology. I bought him a 'Kindle Fire' but he can't work it. I bought him a portable dvd player which he manages to use but finds difficult to see. He doesn't really read very much and anyway his eyesight isn't good.
He isn't confined to bed but doesn't walk very well and is often hooked up to a drip.
Any ideas will be truly welcomed.

tanith Mon 29-Aug-16 09:25:19

An iPad? If wifi is available of course.

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 09:35:02

Don't think he could 'work' it tanith and the Wifi is very hit and miss anyway. But thanks for the suggestion.

Linsco56 Mon 29-Aug-16 09:50:37

Perhaps a portable CD player and some talking books from the library.

harrigran Mon 29-Aug-16 09:51:42

When I went into hospital I took crossword book, number puzzle book, novel and mp3 player. I found the mp3 player the most useful, I used it to block out background noise and certain tracks helped me relax too. Maybe your DH would like audio books, I never read my novel because I didn't have the concentration span.

Mildred Mon 29-Aug-16 09:59:56

I like audio books too, my library has quite a large supply you can use with a CD player. You can download them to an iPad too via the e-library. I use them when I am ironing or having trouble sleeping.

annodomini Mon 29-Aug-16 10:23:30

Could you make a rota of friends and family to visit so that he has something to look forward to every day? There are loads of solitaire type card games on the Kindle Fire which may entertain him as they are easy to see and don't require much effort!

JackyB Mon 29-Aug-16 12:18:37

Would he find some kind of craft or even colouring a silly idea?

chelseababy Mon 29-Aug-16 12:22:08

A radio with earphones?

millymouge Mon 29-Aug-16 12:32:32

Audio books are very good, most library's have quite a good selection for hire. If you use a CD player he could have some music as well if he liked. Could you arrange a rota so that he is taken for a trip in a wheel chair every day. Most hospitals have an area where he could sit and have a drink with you, and the drip can go with you. Just to get out of the ward environment makes a difference and might help him sleep at night. Some people even like to be read to, I have done this for someone. Hope he goes on alright, it must be a worry for you. flowers

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 12:33:36

I've been incapacitated now for nearly 3 weeks and luckily can still visit GN for short periods, can only read for short periods (can't hold book/Kindle for long) so I sympathise completely with your DH.

My best solution is the radio. So whosoever suggested that is spot on. Also bisitors perk me up too.

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 12:34:20

Visitors...weary finger

Katek Mon 29-Aug-16 13:56:09

Anya have you tried one of these? Loads of different styles/prices online and they're so squishy they'd be comfortable resting on your knee.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322221283059

Handmade iPad/iPad Mini/Tablet Bean Bag Stand/Cushion Cath Kidston

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:02:31

Thanks Linsco. I think I will try that.

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:04:42

Thanks Harrigran. I have taken in an ipod which he has used but is getting a bit fed up with the same songs and has rather limited taste - AWKWARD or what!

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:05:37

Thanks, I will certainly try the library.

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:07:25

Thanks annodomini. Have done just that re friends and will try the games on Amazon Fire.

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:09:12

Thanks chelsea baby. I've taken a radio in today and think it might be the answer.

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:11:49

Thanks millymouge. I will try your suggstions. Yes it is a worry, never quite know what to expect when I visit, today was a good day thank goodness

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:13:56

Thanks Anya. Sorry to hear you are not well and hope you will soon be on the mend. The radio is certainly a good idea. I have taken one in today, hope it works out. Best wishes.

jollyg Mon 29-Aug-16 17:26:10

I always take a radio wherever I visit. on travels

It was dull in my recent hospital visit, so radio to the rescue.

Sadly reception was poor, and the only decent place was sat by the window.

Son offered all sorts of modern gismos, sadly i thought they might disappear, so said no thanks.

Bought DM instead much to OHs chagrin.

judypark Mon 29-Aug-16 17:35:27

Going back to basics, as he is mobile, why doesn't he go for chat with the other patients who are not mobile? We always encouraged this on the wards I worked. Loneliness and boredom are a huge depressant. Just to have a good natter or moan with a fellow patient is a great booster. No techy knowledge required, just general friendliness and nosiness.

Meriel Mon 29-Aug-16 17:47:04

Great idea judypark. I will suggest it.

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 19:48:48

KatyK thanks for the suggestions,

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:19:44

I don't know how these AD people do it or if anyone else has same AD
But above this thread is an advertisement for 'help putting your socks on one handed!'

Might be of help to you Anya
Or maybe not this weather