Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone had a Reaction

(102 Posts)
glammanana Sat 01-Oct-16 10:11:32

Just a quick question really concerning my yearly Flu injection which I had this last Monday along with my Pneumonia injection (first time ever both being given together) ever since I have felt so so poorly every joint aching and awful night and day sweats even suffered from sickness from even drinking a cup of tea,receptionist at health centre has told me to see Dr on Monday if no improvement but I'm wondering if I shall go into walk in centre before then,has anyone else has such a bad reaction I wonder.

JackyB Sat 01-Oct-16 10:14:26

I never have flu but had a jab a few years ago because we were practically forced to at work (it was the Year of the Swine Flu) and it hit me the same way. I am never having one again.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 10:27:53

Last year I was fine just a bit knackered for a few days, but other years felt dreadful, not sick but certainly sort of flu sickening if you know what I mean. I'm always in two minds and in fact just about to go up and shower to get ready for my flu and this year shingles jab. Not looking forward to that but fingers crossed will feel OK.

BBbevan Sat 01-Oct-16 11:31:34

I was really poorly after having my pneumonia and flu injection. It lasted a few days. I have been fine with just the flu jab, so it must have been the combination of both

Hope you feel better soon

merlotgran Sat 01-Oct-16 11:47:02

I had my first 'flu' jab a few years ago and have never felt so ill. I had a cough that made me feel as though I was turning inside out and it lasted weeks.

No more for me, thanks.

Im68Now Sat 01-Oct-16 11:51:19

We had the Flu jab last Wednesday so far feeling fine, do know what you're talking about, felt rough a couple of times before. One year actually had full blown Flu, so ill for about 3 weeks, spent a lot of time sleeping.

Advice Have the Flu jab, we had the Pneumonia jab a couple of years ago.

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 11:51:45

One year I had the flu jab and the swine flu jab within two days and was then ill (in bed) for three days afterwards.
I was left with a little lump on my arm which the GP cauterized but it has not gone completely.
I am in two minds whether or not to have it this year, I usually look to see what strain it is and decide if is worth having.

henetha Sat 01-Oct-16 11:53:33

I've had the flu jab every year since 1990 and have never had a bad reaction. Nor do I ever get the flu now.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I do know a lot of people who also have it with no bad reaction.
I had my latest one earlier this morning, as it happens.
I was meant to have the shingles jab as well, but they have postponed that until after my knee replacement operation next wednesday.
I feel sorry for those of you who do have bad reactions as it really is good at keeping the old flu bugs at bay..
mostly.

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 11:56:35

Most injected flu vaccines protect against three types of flu virus:
A/H1N1 – the strain of flu that caused the swine flu pandemic in 2009
A/H3N2 – a strain of flu that mainly affects the elderly and people with risk factors like a long term health condition. In 2016/17 the vaccine will contain an A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 H3N2-like virus
Influenza B - a strain of flu that particularly affects children. In 2016/17 the vaccine will contain B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus
The nasal spray flu vaccine and some injected vaccines also offer protection against a fourth B strain of virus, which in 2016/17 is the B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus.

glammanana Sat 01-Oct-16 11:59:10

BBbevan yes it certainly must be with having the two together I'm sure because as far a I can remember I have never felt this ill other years when I have had the single injection for flu.oh woe is me I think for next few days and hope the effects wear off soon.Thanks ladies x

henetha Sat 01-Oct-16 11:59:24

You are very clever, Jalima. I didn't know all that and it's interesting, thank you.

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 12:11:17

Just had the flu jab this morning, having the pneumonia jab in a few weeks, have a busy weekend ahead with meals out ( should have planned it all better.)Am hoping it will all be ok.?

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 12:12:39

Just back from having jabs. Hope no reaction from flu this year. My arm usually swellls as well but I can live with that. I hit on the wheeze of rubbing in anti histamine. No good according to the doctor so won't waste my time. The shingles is apparently 1% active.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 12:13:12

Snap rose

BlueBelle Sat 01-Oct-16 12:14:22

I had the two together a couple of years ago and never had a reaction and never had to the flu injection which I spurned until a couple of years back when an acquaintance died and a few others had really bad bouts of hospital stays with flu/pneumonia so thought I owed to myself and my kids ( who d have to worry about me ) to get it done Haven't had mine yet this year go next week

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 12:29:30

I am so clever that I found it on the NHS website henetha grin
Still dithering about it though

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 12:30:47

The shingles is apparently 1% active.
Well, that is interesting whitewave
I am not allowed to have the shingles vaccine and was rather upset about that, but perhaps it's not really worth it anyway.

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 12:36:34

No! It isn't 1% effective - it just means that there is 1% live virus so anyone may contract shingles as a result. You can't have it between 73 and 77 because there isn't enough vaccine to go round - it is the intention that everyone can be swept up in the 78. - 80 year group.

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 12:40:08

I misread that whitewave! oh dear, should have gone to S/Savers!

I read 1% effective, not active.

cornergran Sat 01-Oct-16 13:09:00

Don't usually react, have this year to just the flu jab, so may not be the combination. Just the lucky few get to react! Mr C is fine. Feel foul, and the jab was a week ago. hmm. It will pass, It has to!

whitewave Sat 01-Oct-16 13:12:49

I know the reaction is sometimes most unpleasant, but it is infinitely preferable to the actuality. I got proper flu in my thirties and goodness me I was ill!! And it took for ever to get over.

Charleygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 13:19:37

Touch wood, I have never had a reaction but each year I work out carefully when I am going to have it so that I have a few days "off" after my flu jab, just in case.

Last year I had the pneumonia jab at the same time with no side effects. I believe that the pneumonia jab is only given once.

harrigran Sat 01-Oct-16 13:48:01

DH had his flu jab last Friday, he took ill on Sunday and has been ill ever since. He says the pain in his limbs was dreadful. I was supposed to have mine with the shingles one but it was too soon after the chemo, I have to reschedule and am not keen to add any extra suffering sad

Elrel Sat 01-Oct-16 13:55:37

Never had a reaction to 'flu jab, never been offered shingles or pneumonia jabs.

Tegan Sat 01-Oct-16 20:17:33

Think it's important that as many people as possible have the flu jab to limit the possibility of an epidemic which will affect our children/grandchildren and people with a compromised immune system. Don't think I'd have two vaccines at the same time though.Was surprised at how many of the staff at our medical practice refused the jab; absolutely all of the GP's had the flu jab.I've never had a bad reaction (thus far;had mine today!).