Gransnet forums

House and home

Mini oven

(26 Posts)
squaredog Thu 28-Aug-14 19:20:39

Any one use one?

I live alone, and am looking at getting a 'mini oven', both for economy and speed ( apparently, they can take just 3 minutes to reach temperature).

Invariably, I'm popping in just one item. Seems to make sense..........

(And if you do, can you recommend which one?)

feetlebaum Thu 28-Aug-14 19:44:15

I've had a variety of them, but now I use a Remoska which is much easier and is remarkably versatile.

shysal Thu 28-Aug-14 20:01:28

I live alone, and use a Remoska most of the time. The main drawback is that there is no way of setting the temperature, so it takes a bit of getting used to. I keep an index notebook to record timings the first time I cook something. Most dishes take about the same time as a standard oven, jacket spuds are quicker. We had a thread on this subject some time ago, and it seemed to me that Halogen ovens were also popular. I will have a search and add a link if I find the discussion.
I hope you find something suitable, it will save you a fortune!

shysal Thu 28-Aug-14 20:08:05

www.gransnet.com/forums/food/a1204328-Remoska?msgid=25236873
This is the thread I mentioned.

squaredog Thu 28-Aug-14 20:49:10

Shysal thank you.

Never heard of a Remoska before. You've definitely given me something to think about, darn it..........

MiniMouse Thu 28-Aug-14 22:15:16

Another option is a halogen oven. You can use different temperature settings and it has a timer. It's a dial setting, so no faffing around with digital settings!! I use ours most days as it can be used for cooking so many things. It heats up very quickly, you don't need to heat it up before putting the food in.

Charleygirl Thu 28-Aug-14 22:16:23

"squaredog"- do not take this as gospel but I am certain that Amazon run a section on the best Remoska to buy. At the time I also considered buying one for the same reason as yourself but for the size of my house, my kitchen is tiny and there would be no space for it. They appear to be quite bulky whuich is something else to take into consideration .

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:00:42

I use a Remoska too. As Feetle says, very versatile.

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:01:10

And as shysal also says.

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:02:40

I have the 'regular' one * Charley* it doesn't take up much room at all, it's the size of a medium casserole dish.

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:03:09

Plus a handle.

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:03:40

handle stand.

Aka Thu 28-Aug-14 23:04:12

hmm moon

numberplease Thu 28-Aug-14 23:31:47

We are getting rid of our caravan, so we have just been and rescued the halogen oven from the `van, and it will now be pressed into service at home, it`s been great on holidays over the last 4 years, and so easy to use.

squaredog Fri 29-Aug-14 07:49:48

I really am torn now......

This Remoska...is the lid heavy? (I'm not the strongest of wrist)

Aka Fri 29-Aug-14 07:57:07

Do you have a Lakeland near you? If so why not pop in and see them and feel for yourself.

Yes, the lid is a bit heavy but the handle can be use two handed if need be.

Culag Fri 29-Aug-14 08:24:23

I have a Remoska, and my main oven has hardly been used since. I don't find the lid too heavy but I find the best place to keep and use it is on the top of the hob. Mine is a ceramic type so it is easy to put the lid down on it. You have to remember that the element is round the lid rim and can be lethal.

shysal Fri 29-Aug-14 08:30:02

www.lakeland.co.uk/18850/Standard-Remoska-Electric-Cooker
The lid is a bit heavy, but doesn't feel it with two handles. You have to lift it off and turn it upside down onto a heatproof surface, as the heating element is in the lid. Also it has the electric lead attached, which can be awkward in a small space. Mine stands on a tile next to my hob, which is where I place the lid.

shysal Fri 29-Aug-14 08:39:31

Looking at the description in the link, I see that when upside down the lid can safely stand on a worktop, sorry!

Brendawymms Fri 29-Aug-14 08:48:28

I have a microwave that also has a grill and a conventional oven in it. Cooks whole chickens and roasts. Does a great job ob the crackling from roast pork as the skin ends up near the top elements. One item that does three things.

shysal Fri 29-Aug-14 08:52:25

My first microwave was like that Brenda, made the best rice pudding ever, with lovely golden skin on top!

hildajenniJ Fri 29-Aug-14 08:56:46

I have a halogen oven which sits on my work top. It's one of the most useful things I own. You can regulate the temperature up to 250 degrees c. It has a very useful tool for lifting things out of the bowl which gets very hot. I use it for cooking all sorts of things. It will roast a chicken in about a third less time than in the regular oven. My DH grills his bacon and sausages in it. Very easy to wash, almost everything will go in the dishwasher. Do I sound like a saleswoman?

feetlebaum Fri 29-Aug-14 09:29:08

hildajenniJ - How long have you been using your halogen oven? I ask because I had one, and it was great - until the element died. It turned out to be very difficult to fix, and in the end I binned it. I have read that they are known for element failures...

It may be that things have improved since then, of course.

MiniMouse Fri 29-Aug-14 12:18:12

Feetlebaum I've been using my halogen oven almost every day for nearly five years! There are often good deals to be had in the little catalogues that come through the door or Robert Dyas.

I've got the extension for mine, which gives more height if you're roasting a chicken.

I'm not a gadget person, so was a little hesitant about whether to buy a halogen oven in case it was a bit of a gimmick, but I'm so glad I did! I really wouldn't be without it!

How sad is this?! - I've even bought one as a 'spare' in case mine packs up grin

Joelsnan Fri 29-Aug-14 12:36:23

Fantastic! I have a Whirlpool convection/microwave in the UK that I used more than my 'big' oven. Mainly used the convection.
Where I am at the mo. I have a toaster oven, it cost equivalent of twenty quid and again is great for baking, roasting or making cheese on toast smile