Gransnet forums

House and home

Shower cleaner

(18 Posts)
petra Mon 01-Sep-14 18:21:55

I've just installed a shower ( well not me, the OH) Before this I've only had a wet room.
Before I go out and buy cleaners that don't work! I thought I would ask your good selves to see what you find is best.

sherish Mon 01-Sep-14 18:54:30

I have a shower cubicle and I have tried several different cleaners. The one I'm using at the moment is Lidl's bathroom cleaner. I like it as it leaves no residue. I just spray it all around the cubicle and sponge off with a long handled thingy and then rinse everything with the shower. Hope this helps.

Icyalittle Mon 01-Sep-14 20:08:38

Whatever you use (I've found all the spray / leave / rinse ones are great), I always swooge the shower surfaces down with a window squeegee after each use (I keep a cheap one in each shower). Then the water doesn't have to evaporate, and there is less in the way of watermarking anyway. But soft water really helps too grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 20:14:03

this is good if used after every use

Coolgran65 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:21:07

I agree with jingles... these cloths are brilliant, I have the Lakeland window pack and for the first time ever can get streak free windows.

Icyalittle Mon 01-Sep-14 20:26:13

Quite agree with jingles! I love ecloths too. Shiny, shiny, shiny - er, sorry blush That's a bit sad, isn't it?

suzied Mon 01-Sep-14 20:29:15

I use my Karcher window vac after very shower, no need for any sprays etc and leaves tiles and glass very clean

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 20:47:29

suzied I am impressed!

I have a squeegy thing to use after every shower (supposedly).

Enjo cloths are good if you don't want to use chemicals, use with or without Method cleaner.
Very occasionally I use Dettol mould and mildew remover (the plumber said any 'pink mould' which may appear is caused by using hair conditioners.)

www.enjo.com/html/uk
www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/method/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwspCgBRCiwOjBxeCcm-kBEiQAooz6tyLjpOb0KrzzkXCI4aj4UEikP8IrOYHTCpIQ_H8LAMgaAqec8P8HAQ

petra Tue 02-Sep-14 08:29:02

Thanks, girls. And thanks for the link to that cloth from Lakeland, Jings. It has to be that one as I've just recieved their catalogue, it was meant to be Lol.

janeainsworth Tue 02-Sep-14 08:39:31

Well I am obviously a shower slut.
I just use a shower shine (various brands) that you spray on after you get out of the shower and leave.
I occasionally wipe over the shower door and the tiles with a bathroom cleanser but it rarely seems to need it.
We do have very soft water here and I think that helps to reduce residue to a minimum.

Elegran Tue 02-Sep-14 08:49:45

Not such a shower slut as me, JaneA All I use on the shower is the squeegee quickly over the walls, door and base after my shower and before I get out. The drain cover comes out for cleaning when the mood takes me. Going and getting out an appliance daily to clean it would just never happen.

hildajenniJ Tue 02-Sep-14 09:13:42

No fancy sprays, cream cleaners or cloths for me. I just use bleach diluted in a spray bottle. A quick squirt round every day keeps the shower sparkling and fresh.

suebailey1 Tue 02-Sep-14 09:26:35

I'm a shower slut too mr Muscle or Sainsbury equivalent at every use and a twice weekly wipe over.

Charleygirl Tue 02-Sep-14 11:15:31

I live in London which is a hard water area and makes the shower twice as difficult to clean.

I also use the shower spray after each shower and clean it once a week with either Method or scum and soap remover in a canister.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 02-Sep-14 17:55:58

Oh thank you, Elegran, I'm glad to find I'm not the only one. We have soft water too, so I just take the bath brush round the shower floor and a random bit of the wall before I get out, and clean the drain... now and again. It's the door which I find most difficult to clean, not the walls. Are these cloths good for that? I do use a microfibre one for mirrors and taps, but that one doesn't seem to have much effect on the shower door.

Elegran Tue 02-Sep-14 18:05:02

I have soft water too, so no problem with limescale. I don't need any products to clean the shower - it has had the shower gel I used on my own body, that is enough.

I use a squeegee to get rid of the water on the walls and door. I do it while I am still standing in the shower, after I have removed most of the water from myself, and flap the damp towel around to remove any drips still remaining. By then I am just about dry myself, but I step out and finish drying myself with a dry towel. The wet one goes in the wash and the almost-dry one is hung over the shower door to do the first drying-off the next time.

The drain cover is taken out at irregular intervals (when it occurs to me) and de-haired and cleaned. A horrible job.

rosequartz Tue 02-Sep-14 19:42:00

Sometimes I do the doors with some body wash or shampoo and an old net body scrubber (not the same one I use on me!) then rinse off with the shower.

shysal Wed 03-Sep-14 08:07:08

I only have an over-the-bath shower, but I just dry everything down with the towel I have used on myself.