Gransnet forums

House and home

Cleaning upstairs windows

(45 Posts)
julie56 Thu 03-Sep-15 02:23:57

Hello, I am recently retired and getting to grips with sorting a rota for household jobs. I wonder if any of you have had success with a squeegee/window mop on an extension pole for upper floor windows. I've also read about magnetic window cleaners which supposedly clean both sides of the pane at once. My husband and I are both wary of using a ladder as we tend to have dizzy spells smile

Thanks,

J

Alea Thu 03-Sep-15 07:50:13

Cleaning upstairs windows? I leave that to the sort of 4/6 weekly window cleaner but wish he would do the sills as well.
Do not do anything silly like going up ladders!

Iam64 Thu 03-Sep-15 09:07:16

I'm with Alea, let a window cleaner do it and I'm going to ask mine to wipe the sills as thanks to Alea, I've looked at them and they definitely need a clean.

julie56 - enjoy retirement, rota's for household jobs can take a back seat to doing some jolly stuff you haven't previously had time for smile

Charleygirl Thu 03-Sep-15 10:02:58

julie56 years ago I bought the magnetic window cleaners but they did not work properly. Either the inside one fell or the outside one did the same. It was a waste of time and money. They may have improved since then. You could google Amazon and see what they can offer for cleaning windows and I would not buy anything unless it had 5 stars and was a reasonable price. Like others, I would get a window cleaner.

Coolgran65 Thu 03-Sep-15 11:58:57

I have a window cleaner (every 8 weeks - quite enough) for outside and use Eco Cloths for inside, they use only water and are streak free.

Every so often I ask the window cleaner to give the upper white plastic frames a wipe for a bit extra.
Just to keep them respectable until the frames, soffits etc are washed properly as a job.

Magnetic window wipers - waste of time and money.
What Charleygirl said.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Sep-15 12:40:56

I sit on the windowsill and reach round. Always have done.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Sep-15 12:41:29

The Karcher makes it easy.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Sep-15 12:43:00

Maybe next time I do it I'll get DH to hold my ankles.

TriciaF Thu 03-Sep-15 14:13:38

smile to Jings - did you mean sitting backwards on the windowledge? I used to be able to do that, not now.
The way round it is to have windows that open inwards. Best with the type of hinge they have in France

julie56 Thu 03-Sep-15 14:18:50

Hi! Thank you all for taking the time to post :-) I should have mentioned that I've been unable to find a window cleaner who will negotiate the sloping roof beneath the front bedroom windows - elf n safety and all that. jinglebellsfrocks I have a Karcher lance for the pressure washer but there's no way to remove the water afterwards. I have been looking at very mixed reviews for extending window cleaning kits ... promise not to use a ladder - I could hang out of the window to do the larger pane but the small one that opens is inaccessible. Anyway thanks again!

J

Mamie Thu 03-Sep-15 14:20:33

I have often wondered if the reason that it is impossible to find a window cleaner in rural France is because all the windows open inwards or if the windows open inwards because there are no window cleaners. hmm

Teetime Thu 03-Sep-15 15:45:28

I remember my mother and Aunty in fact all the ladies in the street doing there sash windows by sitting on this sill and leaning out. Thank fully we have a nice window cleaner every month and its a modern house so the windows can be turned inside out for cleaning!!

Candelle Thu 03-Sep-15 16:11:00

Being a total meanie, I bought a 'window cleaning device on a pole' a while ago. It is essentially a fleecy fabric sleeve on a foot-ish wide metal frame with an extendable pole attached to it.

I have seen some window cleaners with similar devices but those have a hose threaded through their poles which delivers clean water to the windows.

I use a bucket of water and washing up liquid. V high tech! It actually works reasonably well and I am not too displeased with it, although it is best undertaken on a warm day as some water invariably drips down (or up?) one's sleeve! I actually enjoy (or is that too strong a word?) this type of activity. Such is my dull existence!

A window cleaner here, cost - two years ago when I last asked about the price - £25.00 for the front alone (two large bays and two windows). I did have the house covered in ivy at that time (since removed) and maybe that put window cleaners off. None of them knock offering their services - an opportunity for someone? Not me!

Anyway, a bucket of water, some washing up liquid and an extendable pole work on the upstairs windows... for now!

numberplease Thu 03-Sep-15 16:53:48

My problem is cleaning my upstairs windows INSIDE! We have a stairlift, and the staircase is very narrow, and I`ve found it impossible just lately to get the stepladders up the stairs. The windows are looking extremely grubby these days.

sara4 Thu 03-Sep-15 19:01:11

Years ago, (when I was younger), I was cleaning an up stairs window. I was leaning out of the quarter light window, and a passing 'wit' shouted "Don't do it missus, don't jump!"

janerowena Thu 03-Sep-15 20:14:11

Candelle what make is yours? I too have been looking for an extending window cleaner, even the Lakeland one doesn't have very good reviews. I sacked my last window cleaner, they never seem to want to clean all my windows, it makes me really cross. I've had three over the past 7 years and each one of them has routinely ignored a couple of windows - not the same ones either. Also their rates are higher than those on the cleaning thread. I would prefer to have dusty windows and the odd bit of goose poo than have some lazy man think he can con me.

Jaxie Fri 04-Sep-15 09:00:01

Dear Janerowena, My window cleaner retired, so I hired one I'd spotted cleaning windows nearby. He did half a job, leaving one window worse than it was before he attempted to clean it: all cobwebby & streaky, which I only discovered after his departure. He overcharged me, and when I emailed to complain and suggested he discount the charge on his next visit, he declined. I don't suppose I'll ever see him again. Sorry to mention the 1950's, but they were a time when everybody, whatever their profession seemed to take a pride in their work. Tradesmen now seem to have got a bit uppity and patronising to oldies. That's been my experience, anyway.

janerowena Fri 04-Sep-15 13:19:18

It's sad, isn't it? When I first moved here eight years ago, we had a cleaner who was good but rarely turned up. Since then they have all been dreadful, our whole village is asking around to see if anyone knows of a good one. I used to spend a lot of time high up ladders (cutting back ramblers on people's walls), but arthritis has put paid to that, I tend to get stuck in one position! Otherwise I think I would do it, it would be great as a way of earning a little extra money. Sadly DBH isn't as happy up a ladder as I am, otherwise I would be sending him out when he retires.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 04-Sep-15 15:37:08

This sodding thread spurred me on to clean some windows today.

I fell off the lid of the lav I was standing on and hit my head on the side of the bath. A lot of blood. And terror. (I panicked. Thought I might be a gonner! hmmgrin) That lid has been wobbly for years. I have never fallen off of it before. hmm

Housework is bad for your health.

Ana Fri 04-Sep-15 15:43:21

shock Goodness jingl, I hope you're OK! Don't do that again - the insurance probably wouldn't pay out if the seat was known to be wobbly...grin

TriciaF Fri 04-Sep-15 15:51:49

Poor you shock hope you've recovered now. Look out for concussion.
Never climb up on chairs, toilets etc, always use a short step ladder.
Having said that, I fell off one of those in March. Not doing housework.

janerowena Fri 04-Sep-15 22:42:16

Housework is indeed bad for your health. And temper.

I keep looking at my splattered kitchen windows, they are set too far back behind the sink for me to reach. I am thinking window wipes, wrapped around the spongey end of my squeegee mop. Last time I climbed up and sort of knelt between the double sinks, crippling my knees and banging my head every few seconds on the utensils chandelier and hanging saucepans rack. A one-woman percussion band with no sense of rhythm. DBH was appalled - but I notice he didn't offer to help. hmm

loopylou Sat 05-Sep-15 09:15:31

Good grief jingl, are you ok? I hate heigh, even standing on a chair makes me quiver, let alone going up a ladder (my palms are sweating just writing this!)
DH occasionally does the upstairs windows but luckily they don't get too grimy (if I take my glasses off they look quite clean). I did do them once by hanging out the window but they were so smeary I never tried again. Since then I've discovered micro clothes and water - utterly amazing for glass.

janer, does your DH have a twin who's living with me?

julie56 Sat 05-Sep-15 18:38:11

Oh my goodness Jinglebellsfrocks!!! 'Twas me who started this :-( I hope you're OK today and not too sore

J x

rosequartz Sat 05-Sep-15 18:40:30

julie56 you are obviously only just retired if you are sorting out a rota for cleaning your house.

Don't worry, after 10 or so years you'll get over it.

ps the window cleaner does the outside, I am supposed to do the inside .....