Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you iron your sheets?

(157 Posts)
BabsAnn Sat 28-Nov-15 20:34:31

I am sitting here with a pile of ironing - yes, that would be on a Saturday night - and wondering why I am ironing the bedsheets. Am feeling rebellious (this is what two glasses of red wine does to one). Does it really matter? Does anyone else bother ironing duvet covers and sheets or do you just put them on all wrinkly?

Ana Sat 28-Nov-15 20:36:06

I certainly don't iron duvets or sheets. In fact, I don't iron anything!

Charleygirl Sat 28-Nov-15 20:36:29

I have stopped ironing anything.

Ana Sat 28-Nov-15 20:37:01

Meant duvet covers (not that I iron duvets either grin)

Anniebach Sat 28-Nov-15 20:42:26

Haven't an iron ,decide quite some ago not to iron again

granjura Sat 28-Nov-15 20:42:58

I hate ironing, and our house is very 'lived in' - but one of life's luxuries is to get into a bed with freshly ironed good quality cotton sheets and pillow cases- so yes, I do - needs must. I have one of those great irons with a steam station, makes the job so much quicker and easier.

Indinana Sat 28-Nov-15 20:43:56

Good God, no! Life is far too short. I don't iron anything much these days. If you hang things on hangers as soon as they come out of the washing machine, they generally dry crease-free. More or less.
I used to know someone who ironed socks and knickers confused

Bug180 Sat 28-Nov-15 20:46:51

After travelling for a year, I stopped ironing anything....I have since started again as I find high spinning creases t shirts, and I do like the top of my duvet smooth.

Iam64 Sat 28-Nov-15 20:48:26

Nope don't iron sheets, duvet covers or pillows. A good stretch, fold and smooth down is plenty of effort.

annsixty Sat 28-Nov-15 20:48:43

Absolutely not, when fitted sheets are well stretched they are perfect and why bother? But do do pillowcases.

Charleygirl Sat 28-Nov-15 20:49:21

Indinana my mother, who had one day off a month used to iron bra straps!

mollie Sat 28-Nov-15 20:50:28

Erm, yes. I iron duvet covers and pillowcases and clothes. Just me then...?

ninathenana Sat 28-Nov-15 20:51:45

I have a life grin
I can't remember when I last used an iron.

Indinana Sat 28-Nov-15 20:53:07

Charleygirl grin

Welshwife Sat 28-Nov-15 21:03:25

I sadly iron all bed linen and tea towels. Cannot bear the look or feel of un-ironed sheets and ironed tea towels fit into the drawer far more easily.

shysal Sat 28-Nov-15 21:06:09

Sheets and pillow slips are the only things I iron. I am a hot body so I starch my cotton bedding and iron it so that it is crisp and cool. However, with an extra wide ironing board and a steam generator iron, it is done in no time.
Even in winter I have no duvet, just a sheet over me, with Chillows beside me and under the pillows. If I wasn't so lazy I would change my bed daily.

etheltbags1 Sat 28-Nov-15 21:06:54

I don't iron other than my dress trousers for work which I do tend to leave on too long a spin, other than that I just hang em on the 'horse' to air. I would never iron bed linen.

Greyduster Sat 28-Nov-15 21:07:14

The only time I iron sheets and duvet covers is if we are having visitors to stay (not our dear children - they don't iron their bed linen either!) - fortunately not a regular occurrence - and a right faff it is too. I do iron pillowcases but normally that's all. My best friend was horrified when I told her I never ironed bedlinen - I went down considerably in her estimation grin!

Lapwing Sat 28-Nov-15 21:11:20

I have never ironed bed clothes and since I retired from work I have only ironed clothes for special occasions. Life is way to short.

whitewave Sat 28-Nov-15 21:12:38

I do -if I had the wherewithal I would have clean ironed sheets every day - but I don't so just do them weekly. -I guess in total it takes maximum 1/2 hour.

Daddima Sat 28-Nov-15 21:24:34

I like ironed bedclothes, but that's just me. For clothes, if you take them out the machine when the cycle finishes, smooth and fold, then hang up to dry, no ironing required. If you must, a wee spin in the tumble drier will remove any creases.

grannylyn65 Sat 28-Nov-15 21:45:51

I do have an iron, somewhere !!

Katek Sat 28-Nov-15 21:46:45

In a word.....no! Retrieve from dryer whilst still warm and fold, they're fine

Maranta Sat 28-Nov-15 21:53:00

No I don't iron anything but just take a lot of care in the drying process. I'm careful how I peg things on the line and fold neatly as soon as I take them in. The outside table comes in handy. That's when the weather allows of course. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a tumble dryer.

loopylou Sat 28-Nov-15 22:25:54

I do, I love ironed sheets, duvet covers, the whole kit and caboodle grin
I don't iron socks like my mum though!