Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone else do this?

(22 Posts)
oldgoose Tue 27-Sep-16 13:58:41

I decided to redecorate and spruce up my house, which was long overdue. I bought lovely new cushions, lamp shades, curtains and lots of other bits and pieces. I was pleased with what I bought.
THEN, a couple of days ago I went to a different store, saw a lot of lovely cushions, lamp shades, curtains etc and they were much better than the ones I already bought! Now I don't like my new stuff . I didn't intend to go and look at more things but they just happened to be in the shop where I was buying paint!
Does anyone else buy nice new things and then see BETTER new things and feel really disgruntled about it?

Luckygirl Tue 27-Sep-16 14:41:20

No - can't say I do!

If you can afford the replacements you could make good use of the old/new ones by donating them to a charity shop or putting them on Freecycle.

Synonymous Tue 27-Sep-16 14:50:41

No! I do a great deal of searching and looking before I ever spend anything.
I find that it really helps to make a mood board where you set everything out with swatches, colours, pictures and anything else you want to add to make decision making a positive experience.
If you do anything in haste you certainly have plenty of time for regrets later! sad

Kateykrunch Tue 27-Sep-16 14:55:51

oldgoose, YES! I do, but I just get over myself. I did recently buy new cushions and curtains, to supposedly brighten up our lounge, only had them in situ for 2 weeks, it seemed too stark, so the old curtains have gone back up and the new stuff was snapped up on ebay. I think I like familiarity!

ninathenana Tue 27-Sep-16 15:49:39

No, I'm another one who "window shops" before deciding. oldgoose is it the colour scheme you've changed your mind about or just the fabric designs ?

cornergran Tue 27-Sep-16 21:43:53

Oh I hope not oldgoose. Just bought some accessories for our not yet finished build to cheer me up. hmm.

Cherrytree59 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:55:57

OG if you decide to 're buy' then put originals away.
Then when you get bored of your new purchases change to all or some of the stuff you purchased first time round
Voila. a new room again!

Coolgran65 Wed 28-Sep-16 03:16:01

I'm inclined to buy neutral for lampshades and the like. Then finish them off to suit. My cream large drum shape linen bedroom ceiling shade at present has a trailing garland of vintage roses casually draped over it and 'casually' hanging low at one side. It took a half hour to get them looking so casual.

The garland will (and has) worked in other areas, as will the lampshade.

I rarely buy a new scheme, more inclined to switch around and do crafty costing nothing stuff. Having a chiffon scarf of the correct colour I wound it into a sort of flower shape, pinned it to the bedside lamp with one end draping low. And trailing.

I got fabric to have a local seamstress make me Oxford covers for various different shaped cushions. The left over fabric has been used as a table cloth when having guests.

And scraps of the fabric have wrapped a couple of wrongly coloured waste bins to use them as plant containers. Just wrap and secure with hidden safety pins.

I received a gift of a purple orchid plant and wrapped the ghastly coloured pot in a scarf that had flashes of purple in the pattern.

The 3 seagrass storage boxes on top of my wardrobe were now too dark and I gave them a 'wash' of cream emulsion paint. Finished each one off with some of the vintage trailing paper roses garland secured to the side.

BlueBelle Wed 28-Sep-16 05:03:24

Yes I have done that even when I ve done lots of looking and research New things come out nearly daily so however much research you do a week later you can see different that you like better
I m limited in money and bought a three piece within my price range about 10 years ago after loads of looking and I hated it the minute it was in my room I still hate it but am stuck with it Sometimes things can look very different when they are in 'your home' or it can happen with clothes too for me something that looks great on me in the shop doesn't in my mirrors
Hopefully you ll get used to the ones you bought

Teetime Wed 28-Sep-16 08:39:24

Can you tell us which shops the second lot were in please - I can never find anything I like that isn't a fortune?

oldgoose Wed 28-Sep-16 09:55:22

Teetime. The second lot of stuff I saw was in Homebase. The lightshades were nicer , so were the cushions. The first lot I bought was from Dunelm and though they were nice, Homebase were better and cheaper in some cases.
I did do some research but probably didn't even think of looking in Homebase. I had looked at The Range, Dunelm, Argos, and Homesense and Wilko. Theres always somewhere you forgot to look!

Lilyflower Wed 28-Sep-16 10:29:32

I don't usually change my mnd but what does it matter anyway? If you like the other things better and can afford them go and buy them.

radicalnan Wed 28-Sep-16 10:35:55

I believe it is called 'buyer remorse' and I suffer from it.

I buy stuff, like it or love it then after a few days doubt my own choices........first world problems.

Pinkshoes26 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:23:14

Oh deer!
I cannot say this happens to me. I am quite clear in my mind about what I want for my home. I often change things around. All of my curtains are pre loved.
The cushions I now have came with the x2 sofa's so match well. My previous sofa cushions I home made. Lovely colourfull patchwork. My DIL soon requested them and I was happy to give.

Skweek1 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:33:57

Even sell them on e-Bay!

Irma Wed 28-Sep-16 12:51:18

I do sometimes see something I'd wish I'd bought instead but stick with what I've got

Legs55 Wed 28-Sep-16 13:12:36

I too research carefully before buying especially when it's a major purchase. When DH & I downsized our furniture was too big & too dark for our new home but we had money "in the kitty" for new settees (2 small 2 seaters from M & S) fit lovely, cushions I already had looked good so Lounge only needed new curtains, used accessories we already had. New display cabinets purchased in light wood - perfect smile

New Dining Room furniture purchased (we had old table & chairs, 1960's vintage from DH's 1st marriage (wedding present),sideboard disposed of before move) & new curtains.

I downsized again (I am widowed) so now DD has one of my settees as I can't fit both in, new cushions but rest of furniture fits in my large Lounge/Diner. I need to decorate & add finishing touches but (wilderness) garden needed lots of work & that is my priority as I spend more time outdoors than in & love gardening grin

Jeanie6 Wed 28-Sep-16 13:29:35

Furniture and soft furnishings I'm usually happy with but clothes are a different matter very often a few weeks after purchasing Im thinking oh this makes me look fat or the colours wrong etc and gets pushed to the back of the wardrobe

GrannyBing Wed 28-Sep-16 15:52:25

Often happens to me Oldgoose, and some mistakes have been expensive ones. I spent months deciding the layout for a new bathroom. Within a couple of weeks I wished I'd put the heated towel rail in a different place and chosen a different design of shower cubicle.
I had a new dining table and chairs delivered at the weekend, following a long search. So far I'm still pleased with them and really hoping I don't spot something I like better. I'm keeping off furniture websites just in case!

HootyMcOwlface Wed 28-Sep-16 18:59:58

Yes! Just had floor in hall/stairs/ landing doing and don't now like the colour. Wishing I had chosen something else. (I always do this!)

NanSue Wed 28-Sep-16 19:04:50

Yeeesss!!! I spend an age looking at stuff, I'm very indecisive so it's never easy choosing but when I've made my choice and then purchase, I canot help myself continuing to look and invariably spot something I like more. Drives DH mad!

Jalima Wed 28-Sep-16 21:49:49

Yes! I can trail around for ages (shops being variously located round here) choose something and then see something I like better.

The triuble is the things I really really like are usually out of my budget limit.

It annoys my DH too NanSue