Gransnet forums

House and home

Decision needed re buying new duvet

(62 Posts)
carboncareful Fri 17-Feb-12 15:21:31

Old quilt is 17 years old we reckon and a bit lumpy.
It was 12 tog.
They don't seem to do 12 tog any more so what do we get? Have choice between 10.5 and 13.5 it seems. Big difference?
Going for microfibre with modal (supposed to be not so sweaty) from John Lewis.
Bought 10.5; changed our minds (not opened); took back; ordered 13.5 (to collect tomorrow).
Now still not sure and the cost is £120 which is sort of outrageous I think?

Don't want goose feather/down. Daughter says its like having a creature clinging to her!!!!

nanamacatj Fri 17-Feb-12 15:40:21

Hi carboncareful, Have you considered a four seasons quilt, essentially two separate quilts 7.5 tog and 4.5 tog which you use together or individually as the seasons demand. I have them on all three beds in my house all machine washable too.smile

Charlotta Fri 17-Feb-12 15:45:36

If you see one in ALDI go for it. The Germans and most of central Eurpoe have always slept under duvets and ALDI know how to source them.
I buy their summer and winter ones. If you do like a feather down then you needed a cool bedroom. If your bedroom is warm at night then a lighter one.

I bought one with wool and silk from ALDI in Germany but I wonder if they have them here in the UK. My brother lives in Germany and I got used to their duvets. They don't have a tog rating just thick or thin, summer or winter.

greenmossgiel Fri 17-Feb-12 15:46:53

I have one of those as well - I think it's a Dorma, and perfect for all the year round. Just clip together or take apart as the seasons change. Have had mine for ages and it hasn't gone lumpy at all. I think I only paid about £45-£50 (?) from Dunelm. Although that was about 2 years ago, I don't think they'll have gone up all that much in price.

jeni Fri 17-Feb-12 15:49:02

I have one. It's John Lewis and down. Lovely and snuggly

Carol Fri 17-Feb-12 15:52:18

Goose feather from Costco - so light and warm, but yes, you do need a cool bedroom.

bagitha Fri 17-Feb-12 15:58:58

I like the way down duvets cling (that is, snuggle round you and stay there) and I dislike the way synthetic ones (made of OIL, carbon!) don't cling.

jeni Fri 17-Feb-12 16:22:36

Quite!

Mishap Fri 17-Feb-12 17:07:27

We have a down 4-seasons duvet. The only problem we find with it is that the two quilts have insufficient fixers and they tend to drift apart. It may be that the more modern ones have velcro or something more secure. I had to add lots of poppers and buttons to help keep it in one piece.

Anne58 Fri 17-Feb-12 17:46:28

carboncareful larger branches of M&S have samples of their duvets that you can have a feel of. We went for one that had a filling that was partly silk. Love it!

I have tried the clip/popper together ones, but wasn't very impressed, they tended to "drift" ( As mentioned by Mishap

Tosh Fri 17-Feb-12 21:13:14

I have a 13.5 tog silk filled duvet ...it is wonderful and have used it all year round. It should have been over £250 but was £59 from TK Maxx. I would recommend it to anyone. Haven't washed it yet or had it cleaned.

carboncareful Sun 19-Feb-12 16:04:34

Did not fancy the stick together ones due to risk of them parting - we get in a muddle in any case!
So we have just been to John Lewis and collected the 13.5 one. King size microfibre/modal. The modal (cellulose) is supposed to "wick away body moisture" !! "and regulate temperature". Its now settling itself into its duvet cover and testing starts tonight so watch this space. Cost £120 !!! so better be good and perhaps it will last us out.....

First snag: Don't laugh! I sat on the edge of the bed and slipped off!! the quilt is sort of shiny and slippy even inside the duvet cover. How can something made of cotton & modal be that slippy?

jeni Sun 19-Feb-12 16:09:54

Titter!

Elegran Sun 19-Feb-12 17:09:07

A friend wore her nylon nightie on her honeymoon in the honeymoon suite between nylon sheets.

She slipped out of bed with a crash.

jeni Sun 19-Feb-12 17:25:35

On the subject of nighties, I remember my father (also a gp ) coming home bemused. Apparently he had just seen a girl with appendicitis in her home. She was stark naked!so father suggested she put something on before the ambulance arrived. ' I can't ' she replied ' I've lent my nightie to the girl next door for her honeymoon!'

Greatnan Sun 19-Feb-12 17:30:03

This thread reminds me of a very funny 'rant' by Michael McIntyre (I think - it was on Live at the Apollo.)

carboncareful Sun 19-Feb-12 22:48:12

the best Michael McIntyre was when he had all the ingredients in the pantry talking to each other. The tabasco complaining about being left at the back of the shelf and nobody taking any notice of him! etc.

Off to bed now.........

glassortwo Sun 19-Feb-12 23:12:50

Can you remember those baby doll two layered nighties in the seventies with the frill around the shoulders. wink they were in all the pastel shades as if someone had splattered them with a paintbrush. Think they may have been from C&A.

yogagran Sun 19-Feb-12 23:24:41

Hope you have a good cosy night under your new duvet carbon, we're still using our summer weight 4.5 tog duvet and I am plenty warm enough with that. DH just has a cellular blanket that he starts off with but that is usually shed by the morning. When the really cold nights started a few weeks ago I did put our warmer duvet on instead but had to go back to the summer one as we were both far too hot

carboncareful Mon 20-Feb-12 18:24:26

We were a bit "warm" but I'm hoping it was psychological!

Now consoling myself that I could always get baby doll pyjams and only have my bare legs under the duvet. If I remember correctly they were called pj's because they had frilly knickers to match. Those were the days.

carboncareful Thu 23-Feb-12 17:44:45

Now we are getting used to it I have to report that its like having a lovely soft cloud caressing me......seemingly weightless....would definitely recommend - but it is very slippy due, I think, to being "siliconised" - for what reason, I ask myself?

nanaval Thu 23-Feb-12 18:23:53

While we are talking about night wear ....... my DH constantly complained that his bald head got cold in the night as we have a cool bedroom and so I bought him a nightshirt with a matching night cap. blushHe looks like Wee Willy Winky or someone from Lark Rise, but insists that it is all lovely and warm!

nanapug Fri 24-Feb-12 17:33:05

I now buy Tesco value duvets and chuck them after a while, as it is cheaper than having them cleaned and they are perfectly fine.

Anne58 Sat 25-Feb-12 20:24:29

Chuck them! I hope you actually give them to the Salvation Army, or some hostel, rather than putting them out with the rubbish.

nanapug Sat 25-Feb-12 22:33:08

Don't get me started on that subject phoenix. When my DDs moved out and I had a sort out of bedding I contacted the Salvation Army to offer them some duvets and blankets and was told, quite rudely, that they didn't want my dirty bedding (yes, they used those words) and they only gave out new stuff. I was almost speechless with anger as they were in good condition and I had always supported the Salvation Army. In the end I took them to the local RSPCA and they were much appreciated.