Gransnet forums

House and home

Help - Dogs paws

(55 Posts)
NfkDumpling Thu 20-Sep-12 13:15:17

When any of my family come to stay they usually bring their various dogs - all very hairy. Inevitably at some time during the chaos of an overful house Dog will canter over a bed with muddy / wet feet. Most of our duvet covers are cream - now with shaggy paw shaped prints.
Does anyone know how to remove paw stains?
I've tried various detergents, stain removers and temperatures to no avail. I boiled a white cotton duvet in Ariel bio with a dash of Domestos for good measure. It's brilliantly white now - with slightly paler paw prints.

whenim64 Thu 20-Sep-12 13:22:41

Those are the things I would try, too. I have put catches on my bedroom doors (very high up) so that dogs and children cannot bounce on my beds. I love my dog, but I would never allow her on sofas or beds.

glammanana Thu 20-Sep-12 13:23:48

Nfk can you not spray some vanish on the affected area and leave for a while then do a bleach wash again it may be benificial,but be careful with the amount of bleach that you use as it rots material if used too often.Have you thought of buying the dogs those doggy wellies when they come to visit.grin

Nanadogsbody Thu 20-Sep-12 13:34:10

Oh dear nkf they are notoriously hard to remove. My dogs are not allowed up either, but inevitably they occasionally slip through and it happens. Nothing I have tried will remove muddy paw prints completely, there is always a faint trace left.

As the damage is already done, why don't you buy some new duvet covers and keep the paw print ones for when they visit next time? [paw print] emoticon.

JessM Thu 20-Sep-12 13:35:48

Yuk!
I am not a fussy woman but dirty dogs on beds!?
Are you being a bit too tolerant maybe?

A gate at the bottom of the stairs maybe?

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Sep-12 13:55:28

Nice thought, when. The trouble is that six years ago with no sign of grandchildren on the horizon and a house that was heading towards being expensive we downsized. Perhaps a bit too drastcally as in the last four years our extended family has grown by one DiL, three DGDs and two dogs. 360 days of the year it's perfect. And quite OK for one visiting family but a couple of times each year Everyone comes. That's eight adults, three under fours and three dogs in a cottage with two bedrooms and a box room and a conservatory (sleeps two and a dog!). Love it!

Theoretically dogs and children are not allowed upstairs and doors are theoretically kept shut during the day. (The white duvet was 'got' as DD2 plus SiL2 sleep on the put you up in the sitting room with a dog) I tried throws - but somehow .... Sod's law!

glammanana I have tried Vanish. Perhaps I didn't soak it for long enough. Three duvets have been got now - I just don't like being defeated!

annodomini Thu 20-Sep-12 13:57:30

Vanish now have a stain removing bar which you can rub on a stain before you wash the article. I have found that it works well on intractable stains such as tomato sauce.

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Sep-12 14:06:14

Thanks dogsbody, so it's not me failing in my laundry abilities then. Since I now have three 'pawed' covers I shall keep them for dog days. But I don't like using them. I know they're clean but ....

(We're actually dog free ourselves. Don't really need one of our own as all three dogs are regular guests when their families go away and actually very well behaved on their own.)

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Sep-12 14:07:34

Now off to buy a Vanish bar - just one more try!

whenim64 Thu 20-Sep-12 14:10:26

Same with me Nfk. From large 4 bed detached to 2 up 2 down cottage for retirement, just me and the dog - bliss. I have a trundle bed to make the spare single bedroom a twin (this bed is very low, and the dog tries to sneak on there), and a sofa bed in the sitting room, so when anyone is stopping the rule is no dog on beds or sofa, and when they aren't in bed, the catch is on both bedroom doors unless being supervised by me.

Re: the muddy paws. Do you keep towels by the door so paws must be clean before any dogs allowed in? I always give my dog a good clean as we come through the front door, and finish off with a couple of baby wipes, which will show up any remaining muddiness.

Littlenellie Thu 20-Sep-12 14:12:47

Gave up and bought black duvet covers,and chose decor to theme with it,to match black labrador,doggy proof covers,ha ha thought we had Sussed it,home comes son and brings a ginger mutt with him...

Nanadogsbody Thu 20-Sep-12 14:46:39

Can you buy carpets with a doggie print design little???

mollie65 Thu 20-Sep-12 14:57:52

could always have a bucket of water by the door for muddy paws (dog to use it obviously). Have always banned dog(s) from furniture, beds and rugs and have hardfloors throughout the ground floor to make life easier - oh - and a baby gate on bottom of the stairs.

shysal Thu 20-Sep-12 15:06:05

All my bottom sheets are stained with cat paw prints , as they come and go through the cat flap at night, and have to greet me on each entry. Unfortunately they are in the most visible position next to the pillow. I thought it was my lack of laundry skills too, I have tried everything suggested on here, had even wondered whether it was mud mixed with cow pat which made the marks indelible! I keep an old sheet on top of the bed, but of course cats just burrow under. Disgusting though it is, I would not be without furry bodies next to me! blush

johanna Thu 20-Sep-12 15:31:45

Can I give you all this website.
www.dirttrappermats.co.uk
I have used these when we still had dogs. They really do what it says. These mats are brilliant.
Most large retailers also sell them.

merlotgran Thu 20-Sep-12 16:06:44

We have downsized as well and have two Jack Russells. One of them sleeps on our bed (I know, I know blush). She had an accident when just a few months old and we had to stop the other dog from nibbling at her stitches. DH was recovering from a stroke and got upset listening to the whining coming out of the kitchen so I gave in. Actually it's better not having them sleep together because the one in our bed likes a lie in and a rich tea biscuit while I have a cup of tea grin

We're very lucky that fen soil is so light it washes out easily so paw prints are not a problem. A dark brown throw also stops any marks from showing. We have bolts on the outside of bedroom doors which is to stop the dogs dashing in during the day but as a friend of mine was burgled recently by someone climbing in the bedroom window while she was in the shower I think they are serving a dual purpose. shock

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Sep-12 17:02:52

What I can't understand is that I garden a lot, get very muddy, wipe earthy hands on my jeans but it comes out in the wash no problem. But dog paws, even hosed down (hairy spaniels), towel dried paws, still stain. Perhaps someone should do a research thingy. I'm sure the government would give a grant.

johanna Thu 20-Sep-12 18:38:16

Nfk
It is also to do with the hairs between their individual pads.
If you trim these you will see a huge difference.
Use a very delicate and small pair of scissors, dogs are a bit ticklish in that
department. grin

shysal Thu 20-Sep-12 19:08:29

johanna those mats are great, I have them, but the cats jump over them!

gracesmum Thu 20-Sep-12 22:30:24

The cat sat on the mat, whereas the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog - do not confuse thesegrin!

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Sep-12 22:42:23

Foxes in the bedroom now - aargh!

shysal Fri 21-Sep-12 07:59:03

grin

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 08:12:37

I'm going to order one of those mats johanna they look ideal. My dogs use the cat flap so 90% of the mud from the garden lands just under there. hmm

Trust you have sobered up grace? grin

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Sep-12 08:17:22

I've measured up for the mats and now deciding which door to do first - can't afford two at once. Or do the cheap lookalike ones work as well?

vegasmags Fri 21-Sep-12 09:16:09

Mud stains are really difficult to remove, but if you haven't tried it, I'd suggest White Wizard, which comes in a pot and is sold by Lakeland. It's a spot remover and all purpose cleaner which I swear by. It removed biro from a cream leather chair and the stain left by a glass of Pimms on a beige carpet.