Gransnet forums

House and home

Storing plastic bags

(34 Posts)
petallus Sun 21-Sep-14 16:40:39

I'm considering buying a plastic bag dispenser, in particular the Simplehuman free standing one which costs £17 or so.

I'm fed up with crumpled up bags falling out of my cupboard every time I open the door.

I wonder if anyone has a dispenser and if they are any good.

In anticipation of some comments, I know I shouldn't have plastic bags but I can't see me doing without just yet. They are handy for rubbish, swimming kit and other stuff.

rubysong Sun 21-Sep-14 17:04:42

I made a fabric tube with elastic at either end. It hangs behind the kitchen door. I put plastic bags in at the top and take them out at the bottom.

Charleygirl Sun 21-Sep-14 17:16:52

Petallus I personally think that it will be a waste of money beause sometime next year we will have to buy plastic bags if we do not supply our own type of bag, plastic or otherwise.

I think that you will be using your new item on a very temporary basis and it is quite expensive.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Sep-14 17:30:01

I've got a plastic cylinder thing full of holes (so you stuff the bags in the top and yank them out any of the holes) that I bought for next to nothing from Ikea:

I have a "Crocodile" bin on the inside of my kitchen cupboard door and I need plastic bags for that, so I don't have many kicking around.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Sep-14 17:31:29

Oops meant to put the links in:

Crocodile:

www.amazon.co.uk/Metaltex-Crocodile-Rubbish-Bag-Hanger/dp/B001ECBUOS

Ikea style plastic bag dispenser:

www.amazon.co.uk/Ikea-PBD-011-Plastic-Dispenser-White/dp/B008DSMBPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1411317068&sr=1-1&keywords=ikea+plastic+bag+dispenser

petallus Sun 21-Sep-14 17:35:46

I see your point Charleygirl. Maybe I won't splash out on the expensive one.

Grannyknot I was considering the one you have. Is it any good for just standing on the worktop or does it have to be attached to something?

kittylester Sun 21-Sep-14 18:17:54

I've got one like the Ikea one but I think I got mine from Lakeland. I bought it years ago and have it attached to the utility room wall. It is used loads and we use plastic carriers for all sort of things.

My reusable bags are stored in my car but, if the car has been used to go to the tip or to put DS's wheelchair in, the bags are dumped in the hall and can sometimes take root! blush

I don't see that changing totally so bought bags will still have to be used. Aren't small shops exempt from having to charge?

granjura Sun 21-Sep-14 18:26:09

I just refuse plastic bags, be it in supermarkets, clothes or shoe shops-and always have a reusable one with me - I make sure I have the receipt to hand just in case. Much easier and no storage problem ;)

Ana Sun 21-Sep-14 18:30:03

Some people will continue to buy plastic bags every time they visit the supermarket anyway - what's another 5 or 10p if you're paying for a trolleyload?

As petallus says, they're useful for other purposes as well.

Ana Sun 21-Sep-14 18:31:23

Meant to say, I like your home-made bag dispenser, rubysong. Simple, but tidy! smile

rosequartz Sun 21-Sep-14 20:18:53

I have the Ikea one the same as Grannyknot's. I've had it for years, it is not freestanding but is on the inside of a tall cupboard door.
We don't have free plastic bags in Wales, but you will need somewhere to store the 'bags for life' which are useful especially at this time of year for collecting (and giving away) apples, etc.

The bags we use for the supermarket are the more sturdy type (we use plastic ones for meat and fish, as we can wash those) and I carry a couple of cotton ones in my handbag.

ninathenana Sun 21-Sep-14 23:18:36

I have an Ikea storage thing on the wall in my freezer room. I always take my own bags to the supermarket and carry a nylon one that folds into it's own small pouch in my handbag.
If I didn't save plastic bags, what would I empty the cat litter into ?

suebailey1 Mon 22-Sep-14 08:54:33

I have one called the recycling bin! These bags are useless after one use so into the recycling they go. I use a jute bag for market shopping as the handles don't cut in and they are much stronger. I get these as cast offs from my daughter who seems to have loads of them and plastic bags which fall out of her cupboards and I get rid of them when I visit.

ninathenana Mon 22-Sep-14 09:13:45

We're not allowed to put plastic bags in our recycling bins here sue

petallus Mon 22-Sep-14 09:40:29

I've ordered the ikea one.

One way I get plastic bags is when I order from Waitrose online? They don't stint.

I put rubbish which can go in the non recycle bin in them.

Charleygirl Mon 22-Sep-14 09:46:44

I agree suebailey1 that is what I use mine for. Also having a cat, it is handy using them to carry her used litter downstairs double bagged to the outside bin. I also shop on line and frequently find one item in one bag so at present I have a surfeit.

The present bags are so thin that if used for shopping again, I have found I have had to double or triple bag them so that I do not have an accident.

Mishap Mon 22-Sep-14 09:50:42

I tie each one in a knot (to make them safe for little ones) and stuff them in a plastic carrier bag hanging on the back of the utility room door. It's free!

Like others I try to avoid having them at all and with supermarket deliveries I opt for no bags. And as I am on the Welsh border and deliveries come from there, where bags are charged for, I would have to pay for them if I had them.

Aren't we a virtuous lot!?

henetha Mon 22-Sep-14 10:05:52

I store my plastic bags in a bigger, stronger plastic bag. I roll them up tight, around my fingers, and sort of shove one end into the middle so they stay rolled up. Then shut the whole thing in a cupboard.
P.s. I do use re-usable ones for big weekly shop.

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 10:08:27

To avoid them going into the waste where they are a major cause of pollution and danger to wildlife then you can put them into a special bin at the supermarket. They may not have these in England yet but they do in Wales, so they should be introduced soon elsewhere.

Plastic bags for life are called that because, if they get a hole in or handles break, they can be exchanged at the supermarket for a new one and they will dispose of the old one.

I did notice that, when I stored something in a drawer in a plastic bag which had come from Australia that I found the bag a couple of years later shredded into tiny pieces. I'm not sure if the British bags do that now, I hope so because they are such an environmental hazard.

hildajenniJ Mon 22-Sep-14 10:29:10

I shove mine into the cupboard under the sink. The dog goes for a walk each day and I usually use one up when out with her. The do tend to accumulate though. When we first got our recycle bin you could put them in that, but the rules have changed and now you can't. The British biodegradable bags do shred themselves after a couple of years. I had some yarn stored in one inside my work bag, and when I lifted it out it fell to bits.

hildajenniJ Mon 22-Sep-14 10:32:08

To add. Apparently the biodegradable bags need to be exposed to the air to biodegrade. If they go to landfill and get buried they do not.

Lilygran Mon 22-Sep-14 12:06:52

When my mother came to live with us, we were clearing out her house and found several big plastic bags apparently full of confetti. The biodegradable bags had quite efficiently degraded even though in a nonbiodegradable bag in a cupboard. All the 'confetti' was charged so it stuck to the carpets, the furniture, the curtains and us. Had to be picked off a bit at a time.

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 12:45:41

The world will be filled with plastic confetti instead of whole plastic bags!

HollyDaze Mon 22-Sep-14 13:43:55

a fabric tube with elastic at either end. It hangs behind the kitchen door. I put plastic bags in at the top and take them out at the bottom.

I bought something similar from a car boot sale (a woman had a craft stall and this was one of the items that she made) and it works very well.

I don't refuse carrier bags at supermarkets because they are just too handy to have around - I use them when clearing the garden of dog 'droppings', line the pedal bins in the bathrooms and bedrooms, empty the vacuum cleaner into them and probably other things that I can't remember at the moment. If I didn't use them, I'd only buy a roll of plastic bags from the supermarket instead.

Lilygran Mon 22-Sep-14 14:19:51

You're right, Holly. Same thorough planning that has led to insisting on us using only light bulbs which don't give out enough light to read by. So you use twice as many.