Gransnet forums

House and home

Fridge/freezers

(17 Posts)
Nansypansy Sun 19-Oct-14 18:04:13

I need some helpful advice .... My Daewoo American fridge/freezer has stopped working and of course no-one was able to come over the weekend to tell me whether or not it's terminal - probably, as its 7+ years old. (Hopefully someone's calling tomorrow). Being pessimistic about the outcome, I'm now contemplating a new one and would be very grateful for any recommendations. I don't want another side by side type as they take up too much space now I've moved. I can't afford big bucks so it's reliability and vfm that I'm after. Any suggestions anyone?

janeainsworth Mon 20-Oct-14 01:31:00

Don't get a Candy one wink

kittylester Mon 20-Oct-14 06:27:55

Or a Beko!

pompa Mon 20-Oct-14 06:41:18

We have 2 BEKO fridge/freezers, no problems.

Nelliemoser Mon 20-Oct-14 07:03:53

I also have a Beko freezer with no problems.

I am about to buy a leibherr fridge as I want a bigger one. This will be about 117 cm tall and fit under the cupboards above. There are usually only two of us but the fridge still seems too small.

glammanana Mon 20-Oct-14 14:09:41

We have had Beko appliances for a long time without any problems in fact the fridge/freezer was a second hand one which we bought as a stop gap and it is still going strong.

Charleygirl Mon 20-Oct-14 14:15:55

Mine is a Seimens (Siemens?) and it is 50/50. I paid over £600 for it but I had to order it on line because my previous f/f died 24 hours after I was discharged following a knee replacement so I was in no state to go looking. I love mine.

numberplease Mon 20-Oct-14 16:18:47

Take care if you`re fancying one with a water dispenser built into the door. We have one, and it`s lovely having the nice, very cold water to drink, but until we had it I didn`t realise how much extra fridge space would be lost to it.

Charleygirl Mon 20-Oct-14 18:15:52

numberplease is it easily cleaned?

susieb755 Mon 20-Oct-14 21:43:50

I have AEG appliances, and love my stainless steel fridge, it holds loads, and the salad drawers dont tip out as they are on runners, and it tells me if I ve lerft it open, highly recommend
www.johnlewis.com/aeg-s74010kdx0-tall-larder-fridge-a-energy-rating-60cm-wide-stainless-steel/p1581493

janerowena Mon 20-Oct-14 22:44:38

I think Beko are excellent! I have three and they are the only ones not to have given me any problems. (to store all the veg I grow)

Soupy Mon 20-Oct-14 23:08:10

Funnily enough I've had a new Liebherr f/f delivered today. Lovely big fridge - if I jump I can reach the top shelf!

Our previous one lasted about 14 years and then the compressor went in the freezer section.

numberplease Tue 21-Oct-14 00:56:10

Charleygirl, yes it can be cleaned easily, as the water container can be removed for cleaning and filling. It just takes up so much extra space in the door, leaving less room for bottles.

Nansypansy Thu 23-Oct-14 13:53:20

Well folks, it cost me £45 to be told my f/f was indeed terminal so I've had to buy another one. I've taken a chance on a name I've never heard of - Haier - but I learned that most f/fs these days are owned by obscure foreign companies - even hotpoint - so I've paid my money and taken the chance. Now I have to leave it for 4 hours before switching on, and another hour before filling it. (I thought they should be left for longer than that?) ..... I'm really looking forward to that nice cold G&T!!!

goldengirl Thu 23-Oct-14 16:59:06

I like frost free. Saves all that faffing about. We've got a Prestige fridge and freezer both tall ones. They do need a clear out from time to time because the water collects occasionally but touch wood we've had them for ages now with no real problems - and they certainly hold a lot which is very necessary in our house as visitors make a beeline for us.

pkfridges Fri 08-Nov-19 05:06:45

I have fridgesreviews.com/frigidaire-ffss2614qs26-0-cu-ft-stainless-steel-side-by-side-refrigerator-2/ from last one year it works good without giving any problem.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Nov-19 07:07:29

Reported