Gransnet forums

House and home

I've created it, but Supreme Being/Cosmic Deity (whatever you will) knows why!!

(37 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 19-Nov-14 16:35:33

Afternoon all,

Thinking about it, I could have called this thread "One damn thing after another", bearing in mind my recent garage bill sad

Anyway, my fridge freezer has decided to shuffle off some part or another, resulting in a perfectly working freezer (thank goodness, as it's reasonably well stocked at present), but a fridge that produces a less than perfectly chilled bottle of wine. (Plus cheese going off before it should) sad

According to our local electrical chap, we could have it "looked at", although not quite sure what good that would do, unless he has powers that we know nothing about, but the most likely faults would still be around £100 to fix (presumably this sum includes coming in and giving the appliance some sort of prolonged stare confused ) but as it's approaching 10 years old, there is no guarantee that it will last much longer. Particularly if the stare is applied through narrowed eyes.

So with a heavy heart and a light wallet we have decided to look for a new one. For "we", please understand that it has fallen to me to carry out all necessary research and report back.

Himself has decided that a black one would look quite smart, which indeed it well might, as the kitchen is mainly light wood with black worktops, and tiles in black, cream and a coffee colour.

There is a slight restriction on height, as the boxed in pipes to the boiler are above the allotted space, and of course a restriction on width as this is limited by the gap between then end of the cupboards and the wall.

So, yesterday armed only with a cup of tea, a notepad and a biro I set to. Various pages quickly became covered in cryptic notes, such as "? box. turk. ?" " Wt. disp. nt nded" and "sld. rck, v.g"

It was when the chat gnome on the Argos site popped up and said "You seem to be looking for a fridge freezer, can I help you?" that I realised I had obviously been going round in circles. Her name was Udi, and apart from trying to convince me of the benefits of a seriously expensive model, she was quite good.

The final result it that I now have a rather impressive excel sheet showing all the dimensions of a range of models, which sites they were on, what make and model number (I was rather taken with the Samsung RB29FSRNDBC [go on, google it, it's real!) but it was a little too deep, my real favourite though was the Hotpoint Ultima FFL1810K, gorgeous handles but sadly too tall)

So NOW what?

Mishap Wed 19-Nov-14 16:39:44

Try Appliances Online - we got our freezer from them cheaply and speedily - it needed to be as stuff was thawing all around us!

Soupy Wed 19-Nov-14 16:44:14

Just to warn you that we've had to recently replace our fridge freezer and have gone for a Liebherr from john Lewis.

All is fine, except we didn't know it would come fitted with a silly continental plug fitted into an adapter so stands out from the wall much further than our previous one. Grrrrrrrr

Anne58 Wed 19-Nov-14 16:44:27

Mishap that was where I found the 2 mentioned up there^^ grin

I must say they were very good on price, with AO the Samsung was £399, on another site it was £529 shock

tanith Wed 19-Nov-14 17:01:35

Our old Zanussi fridge freezer is still working but making a funny noise and OH keeps dragging me to look for a new one before it conks out, problem is for some godforsaken reason he insists we buy one of those with a cold water dispenser... which of course reduces the inside space.. so I keep finding other reasons why this or that fridge is 'wrong' for us but I'm running out of excuses, he won't listen to reason and is insisting on getting what he wants...
Why he can't just put a bottle in the fridge for cold water, I don't know..I'm going to look at that site so thanks for the link.
Good luck with your hunt phoenix

Anne58 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:24:05

tanith I feel your pain, I too do not want a water dispenser, just a plain front. (I did briefly toy with the idea of filling the water dispenser with wine though.........blush )

Agus Wed 19-Nov-14 17:59:05

I was looking around for a new fridge freezer and a freezer for the garage and I found J Lewis to be the best buys with good guarantees. Not sure, but I am guessing if you go for black, it may well be a bit pricier. Happy hunting Phoenix

Soupy I have various appliances which I brought back with me when we returned home after living in France. I changed all plugs over to comply with UK sockets.

tanith Wed 19-Nov-14 19:14:36

wine wine wine grin phoenix

numberplease Wed 19-Nov-14 23:50:13

We changed our fridge/freezer last February when it suffered the same ailment as yours Phoenix. We got a black one, which looks lovely, till Himself uses his hands, rather than the handles, to close the doors! Also, it has a water dispenser, which is nice, but detracts a lot from interior space.

Anne58 Wed 19-Nov-14 23:54:52

Black is not ^ necessarily^ more expensive, I just want one that meets my requirements re. size and capacity.

(Please none of those type of remarks, this is a grown up conversation, I thank you!)

Just to add if any one else would like to take on this challenge, I'm quite happy to supply the measurements, might even offer a prize for someone that finds the ideal one! smile

kittylester Thu 20-Nov-14 07:36:41

Why did I not think of the wine in the water dispenser. Ours also makes ice cubes! Wine cubes!!!! wine

Brendawymms Thu 20-Nov-14 08:24:43

Try 365 electrical. Deliver next day and usually cheaper. Will take old one away as well for modest fee. My daughters washing machine broke. Three small children. Some companies wanted 14 days to deliver, what use is that, whilst 365 delivered next day and considerably cheaper. I am sure A.O. And other on line companies offer similar service. My local town has a discount warehouse, run by local family, and their prices and delivery are superb. Same day if in stock with the added advantage that you can inspect and choose before buying.

Teetime Thu 20-Nov-14 10:06:02

We had a black Samsung fridge freezer which drove me mad! I was forever polishing it as black shows smears all the time. we sold it on E bay and now have a matt silver Indesit with a HUGE fridge and smaller freezer as we eat more fresh than frozen and have a small freezer in the garage.

henetha Thu 20-Nov-14 10:10:32

I've just had a new fridge after enduring months of sulkiness and refusing to be sensible from the old one. So I explored online. And in the end chose Curry's as they deliver free of charge and take the old one away free of charge... this is important to me as I have no means of doing that myself.
I'm well pleased now. Except that the house phone decided to keep hurling itself off it's little cradle, so i had to get a new one.
And now the washing machine, having a small leak for ages, has now decided to make the leak massive! Hell's Bells.

Anne58 Thu 20-Nov-14 10:34:28

henetha as I said, it's a case of "one damn thing after another"

Brendawymms thanks for the tip, I have had a look and found a couple of models that I hadn't seen on other sites. However, just to take one example the Beko CF5834APB is £339 on that site, but £285 on AO, who also offer next day free delivery.

Agus Thu 20-Nov-14 10:46:14

I was actually trying to be helpful Phoenix. Don't know what you read into my post confused

No need to be insulting.

janerowena Thu 20-Nov-14 10:53:34

I don't think that was aimed at you at all, 'Agus*! Just a general warning to people with cesspool minds like mine! grin

I was going to suggest Appliances Online too. I think they are excellent. The other option who is really good is Sainsbury's - but as agus reminded me, they are probably twinned with John Lewis. their service is very good, phone calls the night before and so on.

Anne58 Thu 20-Nov-14 11:01:01

Agus I had absolutely no intention to be insulting! I'm quite offended that you think I did.

vegasmags Thu 20-Nov-14 11:04:58

Phoenix this is completely off the point, but you have earned my undying gratitude with your tip on an earlier thread for using centrifugal force ie swinging it round in a circle, to get the last out of a squeezy bottle. Thanks to your resourcefulness, I have managed to keep my bottle of wasabi mayonnaise going for weeks. I feel confident that someone with such a grip on the practicalities of life will be able to solve the fridge freezer dilemma grin

Agus Thu 20-Nov-14 11:41:26

Oh Phoenix. I have picked up the wrong end of the stick as I thought your response, 'those type of remarks etc' was in reply to my post. Pax smile

I know that Waitrose are twinned with J Lewis, not sure about Sainsbury's jane

Anne58 Thu 20-Nov-14 11:54:49

smile Agus

Vegasmags glad it's working for you!

I can't find any large appliances for Sainsburys confused and I think they have some connection to Homebase, could be wrong, often am!

I have found a fridge freezer that I love, but it is 1cm too tall (that is according to Mr P's measurements) sad

janerowena Fri 21-Nov-14 12:48:22

Sainsbury's seem to have stopped selling white goods! I am astonished, their service was very good, we bought a couple of things from them a few years ago.

There is a beautiful cock pheasant right outside my window! Had to tell someone! grin

rosesarered Fri 21-Nov-14 14:12:23

When you have decided what fridge/freezer you want, just go to a comparison website and find the best deal.

Tegan Fri 21-Nov-14 14:17:32

I don't understand the need for cold water dispensers confused. Water should be drunk [drank [?]]at room temperature [unless you live somewhere really hot].

Anne58 Fri 21-Nov-14 14:30:16

When we had a water dispenser in the office I did enjoy the cold water, but I really don't want one on my fridge freezer!