Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone still use a deep fat fryer?

(73 Posts)
soontobe Mon 24-Nov-14 17:41:15

I stopped using ours as I was fed up of it being messy.
But I miss homemade chips.

Is there a make that is worth buying?

kittylester Mon 24-Nov-14 17:49:30

I use my trusty chip pan about 4 times a year because it makes such a mess but we love homemade chips.

We use McCain oven chips in a silver packet - can't remember what they are called - but they are very nice and quite expensive.

I also make my own garlic oven chips by parboiling wedges, draining and shaking. While they are par-boiling, I heat olive oil with squashed garlic cloves (lots!!) and then toss the potatoes in the oil and roast in the oven, Nice! smile

janeainsworth Mon 24-Nov-14 17:53:33

I got a new one from Lakeland Plastics a few months ago to replace my old aluminium one which had got warped sand wasn't heating evenly.
The new one is heavy stainless steel and cooks the chips beautifully. It's also got a better thingy for draining the basket on, which keeps the basket horizontal above the pan.
I cook proper chips every couple of weeks or so.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Nov-14 17:55:50

This one

thatbags Mon 24-Nov-14 18:00:28

I find oven chips cooked in some proper beef dripping are really nice so I haven't felt the need for a chip pan. Sometimes I do other root vegetable 'chips' in the same roasting pan. Dead tasty.

thatbags Mon 24-Nov-14 18:01:16

That's homemade oven chips, btw—just whole potatoes cut up skins and all.

annsixty Mon 24-Nov-14 18:02:37

I can't cope with the smell as I haven't got a filter thingy over the hob so I do like kitty only I cut chip size not wedges, boil for 3mins,then spray with oil and oven cook for 25 mins. This was from Gordon Ramsey. I have considered a closed fryer that only uses 1 tabs oil but they are expensive and it may end in the cupboard along with many other gadget.

janerowena Mon 24-Nov-14 18:07:53

We have one, but not for chips. We mostly use it for things like courgette fritters, chickpea fritters, whitebait and so on. A little mini one. I resent the amount of fresh oil it gets through so don't use it as often as DBH does, and just use a frying pan and turn my fitters.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:14:59

We have chips every Friday using this one

If I'm feeling lazy I resort to the McCain microwave chips in the little boxes. Nicer than the usual oven chips.

We're having the wedges done in the oven tonight. Nice, but not as good as chips.

Ana Mon 24-Nov-14 18:18:56

Aren't those ones in the boxes very small and thin though, jingl? Not like proper chips at all...

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:20:09

No, they're not. I'm talking about the microwave Fries.

soontobe Mon 24-Nov-14 18:21:40

hmm, interesting. I sort of thought that they are hardly used any more, so I was wondering whether to bother buying a different make.

I do make homemade wedges sometimes, but thanks for the additional recipe ideas about them.

I will take a look at the links.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:21:55

these 'uns

Ana Mon 24-Nov-14 18:21:59

Ooh! Must have a look for those, I thought you meant the French fries. GDs like them, but not keen myself.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:24:15

No! That post down there should have read, "I'm NOT talking about microwave Fries"

tanith Mon 24-Nov-14 18:24:20

I have this one

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Electric-Non-Stick-Pan-Deep-Fat-Oil-Food-Chip-Fryer-Cooker-NEW-/251692719343

OH just loves home made chips so I make them for him about once a fortnight , we bought this chip pan as I occasionally make my own fish in beer batter and they fit in here perfectly. It is easy to clean as the inner liner comes out and can be scrubbed or put in the dishwasher.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:25:33

I have not tried the fries. The chips are the ones we like. You need two boxes each.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:29:04

Has that one got a lid? You need a lid.

Do not buy the saucepan with basket kind, that you heat on the hob. They are the ones that burst into flame if you go off and forget them. You need a thermostatically controlled one.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:32:11

I don't empty the oil out after use. Just stow it in cupboard, oil and all. Change oil about every five uses.

thatbags Mon 24-Nov-14 18:32:26

Can you use lard in these deep fat fryers? Or does it have to be vegetable oil?

janeainsworth Mon 24-Nov-14 18:33:06

Well, I have managed for the last 45 years not to set fire to my kitchen Jingl.
Always a first time I suppose.
As long as you don't fill the pan more than half-full of fat it's not a problem, but I wouldn't leave the pan unattended anyway.

soontobe Mon 24-Nov-14 18:36:00

Ah. I was trying to get my head around the Lakeland one.
I thought that deep fat fryers had changed since I last looked.
Did think that it looked easy to clean though.

But Lakeland is reputable I thought?
But there again, I am fallible enough to one day forget I am in the middle of frying.
But there again, could they still sell them if they are that dangerous? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:37:56

My old saucepan one caught fire once. Many years ago. I believe they are one of the main amuses of house fires.

I don't see why not Bags, if you must clog your arteries. (I do NOT believe the "experts".

soontobe Mon 24-Nov-14 18:38:00

Does it make a mess so long as it is not overfilled, janeainsworth? And how long do the chips take to fry?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 18:39:12

Causes