Gransnet forums

House and home

the man drawer

(41 Posts)
campodol Thu 05-Mar-15 15:33:08

does your DH have his man drawer? mine does , its full to overflowing with useful things !! dud batteries , calenders from 1987, broken bits of anything, reading glasses going back to the year dot with arms missing ?? oh my goodness all things that according to him he might need and you can bet your life if i go in and get rid of anything next day he.ll ask for it, i think they have a 6th sense as far as their man drawer goes

Pittcity Thu 05-Mar-15 15:44:49

Mine doesn't have a drawer but his "stuff" is in various spots dotted all over the house. He has a fruit basket by his chair that is always overflowing with small items and a magazine rack for his "paperwork" - most of it ten years out of date!! Don't get me going on the garage....

merlotgran Thu 05-Mar-15 15:54:16

Yep! He also has a fruit basket full of stuff by his chair, bedside cabinet full of useless stuff and his workshop is somewhere you just don't go.

I have my own 'man drawer' in the kitchen it has a set of screwdrivers, re-chargeable batteries for my portable radio, tape measure, spare batteries for the torch, spare batteries for the digital scales, spare light bulb for the cooker hood and other vital items that help me keep life ticking over smoothly.

God help him if he EVER goes in it.

Teetime Thu 05-Mar-15 15:56:17

Oh yes - a house mandrawer and a garage mandraw. when we go on holiday he takes a manbackpack full of leads, batteries and screwdrivers - we never need them!

If you have never see the Michael Macintyre sketch called The Man Drawer do look it up - hilarious!!

campodol Thu 05-Mar-15 16:03:20

but i bet all your things work merlotgran

PRINTMISS Thu 05-Mar-15 16:03:45

Yep! We have one of those, several in fact, all with useless stuff, some of it I have no idea where it came from. My husband would always accept something if someone was giving it away! Never thinking that if someone did not want it it might be useless, but then on the other hand one man's rubbish is another man's treasure, yet to find the treasure.

tanith Thu 05-Mar-15 16:04:32

My Oh has his own side table where he sits , with --very important stuff--rubbish which every so often I pile in a heap so I can clean the table.. who also has a bedside cupboard full of more --very important stuff--rubbish...
I have a drawer where all the really important stuff is kept grin

tanith Thu 05-Mar-15 16:05:10

drats my strike throughs didn't work..grin

GillT57 Thu 05-Mar-15 16:11:15

We have always had a drawer in the kitchen known as the crap drawer. Every house we live in has one, and the contents get moved from old house to new house. Has all sorts of useful stuff and the added excitement of wondering if you will get impaled on something sharp as you rootle through it. At present, there is a burst pot of drawing pins to add zest to the search.

hildajenniJ Thu 05-Mar-15 16:13:53

In our house it's a man desk! Next to it is a shredder that he found in a skip (rolls eyes in despair). He can never find anything though, and always has to ask me where it is!!!

janerowena Thu 05-Mar-15 16:20:12

We have a wicker basket in the kitchen, because he always used to leave piles of odds and ends by the back doors, meaning to take them to his study, the garage or the shed, but they just accumulated. Everything gets piled up on the basket (it's quite big) until it all falls out or he can't find something, then he sorts it out.

campodol Thu 05-Mar-15 16:28:14

love all your posts ,put a big grin grin on my face ,glad you got the shredder hildajennij otherwise it would have ended up with us !!!!

merlotgran Thu 05-Mar-15 16:35:34

The trouble with man drawers is that if you're not careful they grow up into cubboards of doom!

shysal Thu 05-Mar-15 16:59:25

I have a 7-drawer chest of 'crap' in the spare bedroom, and 2 drawers in the living room dresser, all containing tools and accessories, including dried-up glues and sticky tape for every possible purpose. I know exactly where everything is and even have an indexed notebook to tell me in which drawer I put various spare parts. I have duplicate tools in the shed along with little organised cabinets for (now rusty) nails/screws/nuts and bolts.
I have no man in my life, so only have myself to blame!

ninathenana Thu 05-Mar-15 17:07:26

Yes he has a man draw in the kitchen, a bedside cupboard, the top draw of the chest in the spare room and two sheds !

loopylou Thu 05-Mar-15 17:12:05

Only a drawer?
Mine has a roll top desk with 8 drawers, he bagged a small room as an 'office' with crammed shelves (the floor space is nigh on non-existent) plus most of the dining room table, a 8x6 shed that you can get in to and his car boot.......
And, guess what, he can't find what he's looking for 90% of the time hmm

loopylou Thu 05-Mar-15 17:12:41

Can't _not 'can'!

Katek Thu 05-Mar-15 17:33:08

I'm with you Loopylou.....mine has a man drawer, utility room cupboard, merchant chest of cd's, chest of drawers in spare room, top shelf of hall cupboard, 2 sheds, a small workshop and a garage of doom. Oh and not forgetting the drawer under the bed which is full of empty watch boxes! I think we have a hoarding issue. grin

soontobe Thu 05-Mar-15 17:38:42

Yes. It had 52 keys in it at the last count!

Juliette Thu 05-Mar-15 18:08:50

We have a man room. It started off as an office, all good. It now resembles a teenage boy's room without the socks and whiff of testosterone. I believe there is dust, I do not know I do not enter.

annodomini Thu 05-Mar-15 18:11:32

How do I manage to have so much clutter when there isn't a man in the house? grin

MiniMouse Thu 05-Mar-15 18:48:03

Oh yes! Man drawer in the kitchen, Man Corner in kitchen with a basket full of things that should carry a health warning, various Man Drawers in the bedroom units, Man heaps all over the place gently morphing into Man-heap avalanches (any day now grin) . . .

Lona Thu 05-Mar-15 18:58:30

I don't know why how you all put up with it! grin

Katek Thu 05-Mar-15 19:01:31

Oh Lona, believe me I have tried!!

Mishap Thu 05-Mar-15 19:02:40

Just the one drawer? - I wish!!