Gransnet forums

House and home

Black out linings

(9 Posts)
cracken9 Tue 30-Jun-15 21:44:17

How easy is it to sew my own black out linings ,also does the fabric have a bad odour ?

Soutra Tue 30-Jun-15 22:01:47

Extremely easy and no smell at all.

cracken9 Tue 30-Jun-15 22:15:55

Have you made your own curtain linings

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 22:23:20

I have done in the past (about 30 years ago!). There was a slight smell, but not unpleasant and it soon wears off.

cracken9 Tue 30-Jun-15 22:32:13

Thankyou I will give it ta go then

Soutra Tue 30-Jun-15 23:12:50

You can also buy ready made ivory blackout linings from John Lewis and attach them to the curtains by taking the curtain hooks through both lots of heading tape. Easy easy, and I didn't think there was any smell!!

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 23:26:50

I go that route now, Soutra (although mine are not from John Lewis!) but I do remember the sense of achievement I got from sewing my own curtains and linings back in the day...

Iam64 Wed 01-Jul-15 09:15:20

Dunelm Mill do ready made black out linings. I gave a spare pair to my daughter earlier this week, they fit a 56 drop 74 width and cost £8.50 so I wonder if it'd cost more to make them.
Ana - I remember that sense of achievement from making curtains but I don't think it's something I'm drawn to currently. I'm having some blackout heavier ones made for the bedroom. Good old Dunelm have some of the same fabrics as John Lewis at half the cost, plus they do a make and measure service in the same way that JL do. They do not (sadly) have the Arts and Crafts/William Morris fabrics that JL sell but I'm prepared to compromise smile

J52 Wed 01-Jul-15 09:48:20

I do the same as Soutra and Ana and attach the blackout lining to the curtain hooks.

With full length curtains I buy the linings so that they only reach the window sill. There's no need to black out the wall! It's much cheaper! x