Gransnet forums

House and home

Smart Meters

(30 Posts)
annodomini Thu 09-Jul-15 14:53:16

I have a letter from Eon offering me smart meters . Does anyone here have experience of these? Can you offer me advice on the pros and, if any, cons of having them installed?

MiniMouse Thu 09-Jul-15 15:30:00

anno There are potential health risks apparently - if you Google there will be info.

MiniMouse Thu 09-Jul-15 15:36:31

I've just done a quick search and radiation is an issue and also privacy could be compromised.

annodomini Thu 09-Jul-15 16:17:09

I've reviewed the on-line evidence and it seems to me that the bodies discrediting smart meters are the ones who are trying to sell the consumer a device known as a 'QuWave Harmonizer', not mentioned in any of the objective scientific assessments.

Members of the California State Assembly asked the California Council on Science and Technology (CCST) to study the issue of potential health impacts from smart meters. The CCST report in April 2011 found no health impacts, based both on lack of scientific evidence of harmful effects from radio frequency (RF) waves and that the RF exposure of people in their homes to smart meters is likely to be minuscule compared to RF exposure to cell phones and microwave ovens
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter#United_Kingdom

Charleygirl Thu 09-Jul-15 16:24:15

The con that I can foresee in the future when more of us have them fitted is that prices will change for gas and electricity thoughout the day eg more expensive when people are getting ready to go to work or returning home when more cooking and bathingshowering will be done.

The pro that I can see is that you will have a better idea of how much each electricity appliance costs so you may adjust accordingly if you think that eg the tumble drier could be switched on less to save money.

The bills will be more accurate and no more estimated readings.

crun Thu 09-Jul-15 17:31:44

"The pro that I can see is that you will have a better idea of how much each electricity appliance costs so you may adjust accordingly if you think that eg the tumble drier could be switched on less to save money."

The big disadvantage I see is that many people confuse energy with power. What you pay for is energy, which is power multiplied by time.

They all too readily latch onto the high power devices like kettles or hairdryers and assume that must be where the money is going even though they are only used for a few minutes at a time. In reality, the big guzzlers are the appliances with much a much lower power consumption that are on for hours on end. The fridge and freezer are usually among the biggest consumers in most households, unless you're heating by electricity.

A good example of the problem is those who festoon their kitchens with halogen lamps and then wonder why they bill has gone through the roof. They might only be 50W each, but multiply that by the number of lights, and then by the hours they're left on for.....

You will often see it recommended that you switch off all but one appliance in order to use a meter to measure its power consumption. The pitfall with that is with any appliance that has a thermostat, such as fridges, cookers, heaters etc. you will only get an accurate answer if you're either careful to measure over one cycle of the thermostat, or else average over a period much longer than a single cycle.

All in all I think that smart meters are an expensive gimmick that are likely to mislead those who don't know what they're doing. Nobody has studied what the long term benefit will be, long after the novelty of playing with a fancy meter has worn off.

Gracesgran Thu 09-Jul-15 17:44:36

I have had a smart meter put in and it didn't cost me anything so I am surprised you think they are expensive. I like being able to watch what I am spending and where I am spending greater than average. Add to that no meter reading and I am very happy. Eventually, as I understand it, we will have smart white goods which can be switched off by the smart meter at appropriate times. I may not live to see it but I can see the energy savings that could be made.

crun Sat 11-Jul-15 17:46:29

£200 per household. For that they're claiming about £26 a year saving, but the Dutch found that the actual saving was less than a third of that. So you can expect to take about 20 years to break even on the cost, and then only if you're willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes.

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2681954/Unveiled-New-200-smart-meters-household-pay-not-work.html

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/11456193/Energy-smart-meter-roll-out-may-be-costly-failure-MPs-warn.html

Gracesgran Sat 11-Jul-15 20:55:14

I think mine was free because I put my name down very early. They don't normally charge when they change meters so it may come round again to them being fitted for free.

Ana Sat 11-Jul-15 21:00:04

Yes, they are fitted for free, but if you read crun's links, Gracesgran, you'll see that they don't charge you up front, the cost is added to your (and everyone else's) annual bill.

annodomini Sat 11-Jul-15 22:18:11

The letter I have from Eon says quite categorically that they're free. I need to discuss this further with them.

sherish Sun 12-Jul-15 07:42:22

We have also had a letter from Eon saying our existing meter is expiring and to contact them to organise a time when they can fit a new Smart meter free of charge. I will ring them tomorrow.

Gracesgran Sun 12-Jul-15 09:25:00

Free or not I like mine. I haven't had it for long but am beginning to explore how I can cut my Electricity consumption which is higher than average for my sized household. I do wonder if it's because I spend too much time on my computer smile

MrsJamJam Sun 12-Jul-15 19:36:31

Son who works in IT warns that control of your electricity supply will be remote and could therefore be turned off remotely. eg by a malicious computer hacker.

MiniMouse Sun 12-Jul-15 19:48:55

Apologies to those of you who hate links, but here's one from Which? It's fairly informative and it makes the point that it's not yet mandatory to have a smart meter fitted, despite some companies trying to imply that it is.

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/do-i-have-to-accept-a-smart-meter

Gracesgran Sun 12-Jul-15 19:55:23

I don't need a computer hacker MrsJamJam my electricity goes off with monotonous regularity; we seem to be in a bit of a black spot. I think it is on an old part of the system.

etheltbags1 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:35:48

I wish N Power would install me a smart meter, they really do help the customer to see which appliance is using the most power.

they are no more a health risk than a mobile phone and as they are wireless no more of a security risk than our broadband. I used to worry about broadband when I first got it and now I take it for granted.

I don't see why customers should pay for the installation though as we pay on our bills for the rental of their equipment. I cant wait for one.

Ana Sun 12-Jul-15 20:38:38

We don't have to pay for installation, ethel, but everyone's bills will increase to cover the cost.

etheltbags1 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:45:19

but doesn't that apply to anything, ana, if they were replacing the old ones with an old style meter then the cost would go on our bills. Every business does that.

Ana Sun 12-Jul-15 20:48:12

Yes, I agree. Just saying you don't have to pay up-front to have one installed. And if someone chooses not to have one, their bills will still go up to cover the overall costs, so it makes sense to have one when offered.

etheltbags1 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:51:12

Ana, I just want them to offer me one, they said I would get one by 2015 but none has arrived last time I asked they said they didn't know when we would be getting one. Im thinking of changing anyway they've put my energy up by £22 a month.

Ana Sun 12-Jul-15 21:00:06

British Gas put mine up by £30 a month! angry

Then they'll put it down again in the Autumn because I haven't had the heating on since May...you can't win!

etheltbags1 Sun 12-Jul-15 21:08:33

N power have never put mine down even though I keep my heating off in the summer. However as im off work at the minute I have been using more over the winter than a normal year. the thing that annoys me is that I don't get an increase in £20 a month in my income. I really think a smart meter would help me to budget.

crun Thu 03-Sep-15 15:49:09

It will be interesting to see whether smart meters are any more successful than the Green Deal has been, they've just published the results:

New boiler: predicted saving £570, actual saving £52,
Cavity insulation: predicted saving £275, actual saving £48,
Loft insulation: predicted saving £240, actual saving £16.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0680gtz

Annegranny2 Thu 03-Sep-15 16:03:33

I absolutely avoid anything beginning with 'smart' and will not change until I have to. For some reason my electricity bill is relatively cheap compared with the gas and not had to use the heating yet!