Gransnet forums

House and home

Cleaning vases

(40 Posts)
KatePie Thu 03-Sep-15 16:52:14

Hello, I'm having a pre-autumn spring clean and am considering getting rid of a load of old vases which I simply can't get clean. They're too narrow at the end and no amount of swishing wash liquid or stuffing cloths down the bottom will get them clean. Any ideas? Some of them I don't mind getting rid of (DH certainly won't mind!) but some I'm quite attached to. Must be a simple solution. What do hotels or florists do?

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 16:54:27

Strongish solution of bleach left in overnight - works like magic! smile

Elegran Thu 03-Sep-15 17:01:39

A squish of washing-up liquid, a teaspoon of dry rice and a small amount of water. Then shake well. I suppose couscous or quinoa would do instead of rice.

tanith Thu 03-Sep-15 17:01:56

I once cleaned some old victorian glass bottles with a bit of sand in water just shook it up and down till they were sparkling.

janerowena Thu 03-Sep-15 17:40:28

I go for the bleach method, because I was told flowers last longer if there is a tiny amount of bleach in their water. After a good soak, the vases just get a quick rinse.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 17:42:11

Does the bleach work for glass vases?

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 17:43:25

Yes! (in fact nearly all my vases are glass)

janerowena Thu 03-Sep-15 17:44:37

Mine too.

NotTooOld Thu 03-Sep-15 17:46:11

Oh, good. I'm off to give mine an Autumn clean, too. Thanks for the tip.

J52 Thu 03-Sep-15 17:46:50

I wash mine with white vinegar in the washing up water. Makes them sparkle.
X

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 17:48:23

PS I tend to use quite hot water. I don't know if it makes any difference, as obviously it cools down long before the soaking time's up.

Anne58 Thu 03-Sep-15 17:51:24

Steradent tablets? Although the bleach should work fine.

glammanana Thu 03-Sep-15 17:57:27

I've always used the tablets that you buy for sterilizing babies bottles one tablet left in overnight gives sparkling results.

chelseababy Thu 03-Sep-15 18:07:53

Dishwasher depending on what theyre made of a size of neck

tiggypiro Thu 03-Sep-15 18:11:54

Any ideas of how to clean a decanter which is usually used for Sloe Gin ? I've tried little brass balls sold for the job and the rice/sand methods but nothing seems to work. I'm thinking that bleach may leave a taste but will steradent work and be ok ?

shysal Thu 03-Sep-15 18:46:02

Tiggy, a Milton tablet would probably do the trick. They are used for baby bottles, so I doubt there would be a residual taste.

Lona Thu 03-Sep-15 18:49:51

Tiggy Bleach works perfectly well and is cheaper. Just wash out well with plenty of hot water and there will be no taste or smell.

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 18:52:01

I agree - I use the bleach method with stained tea mugs and after a good rinse there is absolutely no hint of taste or smell.

Indinana Thu 03-Sep-15 19:08:49

These are very good, and inexpensive. They're easy to use once you get the hang of them - use only a small amount of water and a few drops of washing up liquid.

My DGS1 used to put them in his pirate treasure chest, said they were gold beads grin

Charleygirl Thu 03-Sep-15 21:48:10

I find that my dishwasher gets rid of most stains. I only put it on a quick wash so that the water does not become too hot. It is fabulous for coffee stains in mugs. I do appreciate that not everybody has a dishwasher. Spacewise mine was a toss up between a tumble drier and the dishwasher won hands down.

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 21:52:55

I could never do without my tumble dryer, even though I don't use it a lot - how do you dry your washing, Charleygirl, in the depths of a rainy winter?

I've never had a dishwasher, so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing grin

Charleygirl Thu 03-Sep-15 21:59:21

I have 2 clothes driers to hang the washing on and when the central heating is switched on I find that the clothes dry overnight. I also have a dehumidifier which works a treat but I rarely use it. Ana being Scottish I would not pay the cost of drying clothes in a tumble drier!

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 22:04:26

You have central heating? shock

(joking grin)

annodomini Thu 03-Sep-15 22:58:40

I'd try an oxygen stain remover like Vanish Oxy Action or any store's own brand. Put a scoop of the powder in the vase and add hot water. Leave it overnight. I hope you get a result one way or another.

Notso Thu 03-Sep-15 23:06:00

Soda chrystals in hot water seem to get most stains out of most things.