Gransnet forums

House and home

Selling off stuff?

(30 Posts)
rubylady Fri 05-Feb-16 21:40:31

I have been sorting out my stuff from the old house today which was put under the bed and I hadn't got round to doing. I now have five bags of rubbish, need some new storage boxes for what I want to keep which is personal and intend to sell other stuff. I could do with the extra money and my offspring will not be interested in my things or will just cash them in themselves in time. If they did want them for sentimental reasons then of course I would keep them, but they don't.

Have other people sold stuff that their children/grandchildren will not want passed down to them or that they think they could use the money for themselves?

Jalima Fri 05-Feb-16 22:29:19

No, but we keep saying we should. I have bought a few things from ebay but never sold anything. I have put something on gumtree but no takers. In fact, I just dislike the whole process and would rather send it all to the charity shop but then I wonder if some of it could be worth a lot of money Probably not though.

Jalima Fri 05-Feb-16 22:30:37

Good luck if you decide to go for it rubylady

merlotgran Fri 05-Feb-16 22:36:07

I found it very difficult to sell furniture when we downsized. We ended up donating our piano to EMMAUS and a large dresser is still in the garage. I sent photos of vintage china to local auction rooms but there was only one piece they were interested in. I'm not talking junk but nobody is interested.

I've had better luck selling chairs and small tables that I've upcycled. That seems to be all the rage now but it's finding the time to do it, especially as gardening season will soon be upon us.

absent Fri 05-Feb-16 22:44:52

I have sold some collectibles, silver and jewellery at auction and some less valuable stuff at a car boot sale. Other unwanted bits and pieces have been donated to charity shops.

Jalima Fri 05-Feb-16 23:01:35

Yes, auction could be a good idea, you could put a reserve price on it.

rubylady Sat 06-Feb-16 01:42:29

Yes, I sent a bundle of things to Emmaus when we moved and to charity shops too but these things are treasures I have had since I was young and cost a fair bit so would like to see a profit for them really and then I might buy something new to collect.

An auction is a good idea, I might try that one. I need some boxes first to put things kept back under the bed.

Merlot I need a new table, the one I have is slightly too large and the ones I have seen online are either similar size or smaller than what I need. I might go hunting for one I can upcycle, that would be fun. smile

suzied Sat 06-Feb-16 06:06:07

I sell loads of stuff on eBay - , furniture, washbasin when I was doing up the bathroom, cooker, clothes, shoes, I even sold our old ikea kitchen which someone bought for spares, leftover fabric, curtains, the odd bit of jewellery etc, Put a minimum price on it if you think it's worth a bit, or if you just want to get rid start at 99 p. Better than going in a skip and you get some handy dosh.

loopylou Sat 06-Feb-16 06:23:45

How easy is it to sell on EBay suzied?
I won't need anywhere near so many clothes/shoes now I'm stopping work, they're all in excellent condition so selling them would make sense.

suzied Sat 06-Feb-16 08:57:14

It's super easy to sell on eBay. I think you have to be a member for a certain time before you can sell. But if you have smart phone or iPad it's so easy you can list something in minutes with all the photos etc. I sold some of my work gear when I retired as I had a number of good suits, shoes, bags etc . If they have good labels they sell really well. Post as many good photos as you can and clearly point out any minor flaws in the description.

ninathenana Sat 06-Feb-16 09:43:59

I have nothing worth selling sad

annsixty Sat 06-Feb-16 09:57:14

I'm with you nina cupboards full of junk and clothes so old no selfrespcting bag lady would want. Ah well?

annsixty Sat 06-Feb-16 09:59:53

Not forgetting the large mahogany dining room furniture.

Candelle Sat 06-Feb-16 10:16:45

I have my grandmother's art deco bedroom suite...... in my dining room. This was inherited by my mother, then me and after she passed away I felt it was too 'good' to dump and no one wanted it.

Some of it is actually under my dining room table (guests do have a surprise when they try to stretch their legs out!) with the chests of drawers/bedside cabinets etc., along the walls or semi-hidden behind the large dressing table mirror.

Any idea of the best way to sell it? I have never ebayed but would be worth to give anything a try (postage would be a pain, no?) as my DH is beginning to really complain - and who can blame him as it's been there for several years!

suzied Sat 06-Feb-16 10:36:25

if someone has a thirties house they might like art deco furniture. If you stress that they are vintage /retro items you will probably find someone who will love it! Obviously with big items you can put collection only so if the buyer want it couriered they have to arrange it. You'll never know till you try.

ninathenana Sat 06-Feb-16 10:51:36

Oooh, I love art deco. I bet your suite is gorgeous. Maybe send it to auction?

Candelle Sat 06-Feb-16 11:13:50

Thanks suzied and ninathenana for you suggestions: several years ago I did sent photos to a local auction house and although they said it was lovely, they didn't 'do' big furniture. I also emailed an art deco salesroom but they only wanted the chest of drawers and I am reluctant to separate the set.

I didn't realise that a seller does not have to pay postage on ebay etc. Obviously, the buyer would have to - but wouldn't that be exhorbitant?

Perhaps I'll be brave and give ebay a go!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 11:22:36

I think you might have to sell it 'buyer collects'.

I'm sure there was an article on the 'front page' of Gransnet about selling on eBay. Can't find it now. confused

Ana Sat 06-Feb-16 11:28:58

www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/technology/how-to-sell-unwanted-clutter-on-ebay

It's on the side panel, jingl

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 11:47:23

Well I never! smile I did find it in 'Search' but it came up with one of those 'can't be found' notices.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 11:49:53

It's a good article. Very comprehensive.

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-Feb-16 12:25:00

I sold all my old office wear when I retired and it was snapped up on eBay! I was amazed .

I regularly list things that are in good condition and now with Hermes , you can print out your postage label and they even pick up from your house if you want.

I'd say give it a go.

loopylou Sat 06-Feb-16 18:27:50

Definitely going to have a go when I finish work!
I'm ashamed of the amount of clothes, shoes, bags etc I have ?

Auntieflo Wed 10-Feb-16 11:42:21

After reading about Teacup Fairy, on here I think, I contacted them and they bought a complete Royal Albert tea set, that had just been sitting in a cupboard. Also used Gumtree for the first time and sold an electric ironing press. Result. Great a couple of things less to find house room for.

Jalima Wed 10-Feb-16 12:25:24

Not forgetting the large mahogany dining room furniture
Well, I still like it annsixty even though mine is not antique, although yours may be? We are re-decorating and it is all going back in place grin

I had to follow up the sale of some of DD's things on ebay after she had gone overseas, I don't know if I could be bothered with the packing up etc or even to keep looking out to see who has bid how much.