Gransnet forums

House and home

LOOKING FOR A HOUSEWORK ROUTINE

(118 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Tue 24-May-16 12:29:47

Has anyone seen a good routine set out somewhere for getting the housework done without being overly fussy? By "good" I mean getting the important things done regularly and fitting in other things that need to be done occasionally. I'm going to be brave and admit that I am really clueless about it!

For example, should I Hoover the house at least once a week, clean the oven and fridge once a week? How often do people change bedlinen and towels? Do people get all their housework done in the morning so that they can do what they like in the afternoon?

There are just the 2 of us now so towels don't get used massively and we don't have heavy wear and tear on floors. I don't want to be a slave to housework - just to do enough to keep everything clean, in good order and smelling fresh.

Other Gransnetters' advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alea Tue 24-May-16 12:42:35

If it moves, feed it. If it doesn't, Hoover it?

wot Tue 24-May-16 12:43:38

Shirley Conran Superwoman book. Not really, far too extreme: a guilt maker!

wot Tue 24-May-16 12:44:13

Alea....grin

Synonymous Tue 24-May-16 12:48:44

If you are a gran what have you been doing all your life? shock grin

Pippa000 Tue 24-May-16 12:56:50

Get a robotic hoover, that takes care of that task. Iron only what is necessary. I do change towels and bed linen weekly but everything is non iron. Ovens get cleaned when I can be ar**ed, which is not often I have to admit ( my theory is the germs get killed when the oven gets really hot wink). I just need to crack the dusting,

carerof123 Tue 24-May-16 13:04:50

I tend to use Monday as my catch up day for housework. Change bedding, dust and hoover upper floor of house, deep clean bathroom, complete any ironing and do things in the lounge if necessary. The rest of the week i pop the washing machine on when i have enough of each type of fabrics, big shop, banking etc once a week, kitchen is done everyday also the small cloakroom and bathroom given a quick flick over as and when. I like to have time to go out to the library, play bowls, meet family or friends, work in my garden and greenhouse, as long as i have one major purge each week everything else gets done when its needed or when i have time. I dont want to be remembered as the person who was always doing housework i want to be remembered as the person who enjoyed her retirement to the full.

sunseeker Tue 24-May-16 13:08:28

I hoover once a week, but that is more out of habit than anything because now I am on my own things don't get messy! Dust when the surfaces require it (I use Pledge dusting/polishing clothes which is lazy but easier, iron as soon as I bring in the washing (I used to let it pile up until I ran out of things to wear but find doing it right away is better and not so tiring). I have a Rayburn so cleaning the oven is a bit different than most - the top and sides are kept shining, the inside just needs to be brushed out occasionally, although I do get a professional company to come in once a year to give it a thorough clean. I try to get things done in the morning because I work on the premise that if it isn't done by mid-day it doesn't get done!

The important thing is not to stress yourself about housework - enjoying yourself first, housework second!

Nandalot Tue 24-May-16 13:38:21

Ha ha. Weekly routine! Just what I would like. I think I am a minimalist in a clutter bugs body and a tidy person in a messy one. I seem to spend more time on housework than any of my neighbours, yet whenever anyone pops in I always seem to be apologising for the mess. I think two five year old twins who only live nine doors away are in part to blame. My excuse anyway.

I think little and often is the way. Pick up anything lying around, wipe round as you use the sink etc. I only wish I could practise what I preach.

Luckygirl Tue 24-May-16 13:50:44

I have a high filth threshold - I dust when there is a nice thick layer so the act of dusting gives deep satisfaction. Otherwise, I have forgotten what housework is. If the floor looks dirty I send Robert the trusty robotic vacuum for a little bit of exercise. Housework figures at the very very very very bottom of my list of priorities - in fact, it has fallen off the bottom. Life is too darned short!

wot Tue 24-May-16 14:08:45

Carer123, I wish I could get through as much housework as you do on a Monday! I get knackered too quickly.

ninathenana Tue 24-May-16 14:15:10

I'm saying nothing on the grounds I may incriminate myself

Alea Tue 24-May-16 14:51:11

carer you are 'avin a larf, I hope?
Every week??? Just don't anybody let DH see that. It's more than my cleaner does and he comes once a fortnight
Have you at least left a "window" for lie down in a darkened room?
I think I'll just have that now.

Seriously, I am puzzled by Ramblingrose' 's question.. What did you do before? And does it actually matter?
"Dust if you must ......"

Synonymous Tue 24-May-16 15:14:25

Ramblingrose having had my lunch and a re-read of my earlier post I think perhaps I may have been a trifle flippant. hmm

If you are seriously looking for a set routine there are several options open to you:
You could get an old copy of Mrs Breton's book of Cookery and Household Management wherein she leaves no stone unturned.
You could go more modern and do a search on 'household management plans' and take your pick.
You could do what many of us on here do, some from necessity and others just because, and arrange a regular visit from a 'person who does' .
(The last one would mean that you could just relax and enjoy your retirement/hobbies and even go out morning, noon and night if you wished.)
Most people just do what their energy permits if they see it needs doing.
Or you could mix and match of course. smile

I just wonder if someone has been putting you down and made you worry about things.hmm
Always remember that "It will be there when you are not" and that life is too short to worry about a routine, set or otherwise. Why would you? shock

MiniMouse Tue 24-May-16 15:25:33

I'm pleading the 5th Amendment on this one blush

wot Tue 24-May-16 15:27:07

I clean/tidy up for my own conscience but also in case anyone comes round to see me. (Thats a rarity though) you note I say 'conscience' if I was more confident and 'laid back' I might not bother!

Brummiegran Tue 24-May-16 15:27:26

If you go on Moneysavingexpert.co.uk there is a 'fly lady' thread about this topic. It is quite funny. Basically it recommends a different task(s) each day and some tidying techniques. Good luckwink

wot Tue 24-May-16 15:28:12

Wots the 5th amendment please?

whitewave Tue 24-May-16 15:30:11

If I feel like housework I do some, if I don't feel like it I do something I want to do. At 70 I am nearer death and it is all about making the most of what is left.

wot Tue 24-May-16 16:17:12

I've Googles 5th amendment, thank you.

wot Tue 24-May-16 16:20:52

We live and learn! hopefully,

Alea Tue 24-May-16 16:42:38

Dust If You Must
by Rose Milligan

Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture, or write a letter,
Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
Music to hear, and books to read;
Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
Old age will come and it's not kind.
And when you go (and go you must)
You, yourself, will make more dust.

I rest my case.

whitewave Tue 24-May-16 16:45:07

Yes that's me!

wot Tue 24-May-16 17:14:52

Fantastic poem!

Badenkate Tue 24-May-16 17:15:37

DH loves hoovering and mopping the kitchen floor - so that's that taken care of. If you get things out of the tumble drier quickly and fold them, they don'tneed ironing. Dust when it's becoming obvious - and if it wasn't for the dogs that wouldn't be very often. The oven gets cleaned when the smoke alarm goes off every time the door is opened. The only thing I do every day is wipe the kitchen sink and surfaces down. There are SO many more interesting things to do in life ?!!