Gransnet forums

House and home

Windolene

(9 Posts)
AGrandmaAgain Wed 25-May-16 19:38:41

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the pink/purple cream type window cleaner with the lovely smell? Brings back childhood memories of The Big Cleaning Day.

Indinana Wed 25-May-16 19:48:01

Did you try Googling? I just did, and it's sold in Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrisons, B&Q, Wilko. In other words it's widely available confused

tanith Wed 25-May-16 19:51:16

Funny you should ask we've just been to Nottingham for a few days and wandering around a village shop in Sherwood Forest we saw bottles of Windowlene and both remarked, 'don't see that any more'. Sorry I don't know where you are though. I just googled it and apparently Robert Dyas sell it..

Indinana Wed 25-May-16 20:00:11

Hmm, maybe Mr Google is playing games! Although it comes up with results for all those places, the supermarkets don't appear to stock it in reality, neither do Wilko or Amazon. However, it's available at B&Q.

Nelliemoser Wed 25-May-16 21:10:23

IMO The best thing for windows is to wash with warm water and a bit of all purpose cleaner and then to polish and shine them up with the thin vinegar and detergent sprays and wipe this off with scrunched up newspaper. The newsprint polishes the glass and drys off the moisture. I don't clean windows very often but this gives really good results.
The thicker windolene seems more likely to leave smears.

Kittye Thu 26-May-16 05:28:28

Try a Karcher window vac. No smears and no achy arms smile

suzied Thu 26-May-16 05:36:52

The reason it's not available is that it may smell nice but it's not the best product for glass. It does leave smears unless you spend ages removing it. I'm with the diluted white vinegar and a window vac.

AGrandmaAgain Thu 26-May-16 11:10:57

Thanks for the replies. Indinana you have hit on something I've notice when searching for other goods. Everyone sells it till you actually go to the shop to buy it and find its not there, B&Q are also bad for this. None of the regular supermarkets stock it and I have tried all the high street shops/poundshop type shops (Scotland) hence Gransnet as a final resort. Allegedly, spiders don't like the smell which makes it so worth looking for and elbow grease is free...polish on...polish off grin

Alima Thu 26-May-16 11:24:20

The local Londis shop sells it here, as does the local DIY store. Often the little shops are good for stocking the things the supermarkets do not bother with.