Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving in with Daughter

(4 Posts)
Brupen Sat 28-May-16 09:13:56

We have an interest only mortgage and realize we will have to downsize I 10years(when we are 80)
We are debating selling up now and using what collateral we have to provide the deposit for a house,with annexe for ourselves,for my husbands Daughter.
Has anyone else done this and could give me any tips?

grannyactivist Sat 28-May-16 10:07:57

We had a widowed friend to dinner a few weeks ago and we know she and her mum, who is well over ninety, live together. She was describing how much fun they have together and how the arrangement has turned out even better than she had hoped. She put their success down to several things:

excellent communication
compromise
lots of good humour
having both shared and independent activities
and most importantly, they already had a very good relationship.

I have lived with my in-laws on two occasions; once for a year in their house and last summer for a couple of months when they moved into mine. In a few weeks time they'll be moving in again for a while as they are having building work done on their house. I love them to pieces and we have very complementary characters so we live together very harmoniously; I know that if it were to become a permanent situation it would work for us.

Lillie Sat 28-May-16 10:45:06

Hmm. The tip I would give you is to be very careful and make sure you protect your own interests. Make sure the title deeds bear your name. Think what could happen if you needed to pay for care and decided to sell. You may currently have a very good relationship with DH's daughter, but things can change especially as you grow older.

granjura Sat 28-May-16 13:06:03

Would also consider what could happen if you become a widow (sorry, but it happens)