Gransnet forums

House and home

Window cleaning gadgets - which are worth it?

(25 Posts)
minimo Wed 13-Jul-16 09:11:45

Got my cleaning hat on again. Oddly the older I get the more house proud I am - making up for lost time in my youth obviously! grin My streaky windows are annoying me. Vinegar and newspapers are no longer cutting it. Also, I don't have that many old newspapers around anymore since I read most news online! Has anybody used the Karcher window cleaner? Is it worth it? Or are there any other gadgets I should investigate?

Pippa000 Wed 13-Jul-16 09:17:03

Yes! Yes! yes! This, and my steam cleaner are the two most useful household cleaning machines every invented.

suzied Wed 13-Jul-16 09:23:44

Karcher Windowvac is fab. I use mine daily on the shower glass and it cleans windows a treat. Don't buy their expensive spray stuff though , just mix white vinegar with water or ordinary window spray watered down.

AllieGB Wed 13-Jul-16 09:39:31

I got a Karcher years ago - never looked back! It's rather sad how attached I am to it actually...it's brilliant!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jul-16 09:53:48

I tend to get lines between the downward swipes with my Karcher. Then out comes the blue window ecloths made by Lakeland (to get rid of the lines)

Window cleaning is never easy. Sigh

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jul-16 09:55:48

BK (before Karcher) I used the Lakeland window scrim, followed by a window ecloth. With Fairy liquid in hot water. That was perfectly satisfactory. But the Karcher beckoned.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jul-16 09:56:15

I wish life was simple for me.

loopylou Wed 13-Jul-16 10:08:30

I think that the Lakeland window cleaning e-cloths are fabulous, I can't believe how simple it makes the job!
DH managed to wreck my steam cleaner (don't ask how, he claims 'i didn't do anything' ??) so the simpler things are, the better!

shysal Wed 13-Jul-16 11:18:01

I have something similar to this. It does a perfect job.
window cleaner

jusnoneed Wed 13-Jul-16 12:00:38

We have a Karcher, great gadget. We suffer with condensation in the winter months and it makes clearing that a doddle as well.

amazing Wed 20-Jul-16 13:46:26

I've never use anything like that because I have a bad experience once. I bought thing like wipers, this gadget was rather expensive and I thought it will help me a lot. But it didn't. It only did worse. I spent about 2 hours trying to clean windows with these wipers, but I couldn’t. The effect was not as good as I expected. Cleaning window like 50 years ago is difficult, but if you couldn't afford buy karcher only for cleaning windows, in my opinion it's the only way. I advise not to buy untried gadgets, because they often aren’t as good as commercials say.
If you will find something helpful, please tell me about it)

www.apromera.com

Mumsy Wed 20-Jul-16 14:23:55

I had one of those magnetic wipers but the one on the outside kept falling to the ground from upstairs!! no good for double glazed windows. I will stick to my monthly visit from the window cleaner in future.

Jayh Wed 20-Jul-16 14:28:24

The window cleaners do my outside windows and I use a Karcher for inside. It is also good for cleaning shower doors and tiles.

overthehill Thu 25-Aug-16 20:28:44

I have french doors and the Karcher gets them spotless, no streaks. In fact a friend came the other day and thought the door was open it was so clear. I followed a window cleaners advice and just add a dash of washing up liquid to water wash thoroughly then use the Karcher

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Aug-16 21:51:29

Yes. Always add Fairy Liquid. It's the best.

Ana Thu 25-Aug-16 21:52:42

My Karcher's still in its box. I can't quite work out how to use it...confused

merlotgran Thu 25-Aug-16 21:54:42

I love my Karcher. I add Fairy Liquid as well. If I get a smear it's easy to rub it out with an eCloth.

AnneGran Thu 25-Aug-16 21:59:55

I have a Karcher window vac which I use mainly for cleaning my shower cabinet. It does an excellent job or rather, it did! Sadly, for some reason, it has stopped charging. I am really disappointed as I don't feel it has been used very heavily and it has been taken care of. Hopefully it is only a problem with the charger and I will be able to replace it easily. Until I had this problem I would definitely have recommended it. ?

BlueBelle Thu 25-Aug-16 22:20:36

I need something for first floor Windows that's not bendy and completely useless the window cleaners won't come to my house because parking is difficult I used to sit out on the window cills but don't feel like doing that now ( I have sash Windows) any personal advise welcomed

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Aug-16 22:26:43

Ana! Get it out and fiddle with it. Or even, as a last resort, read the instructions.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Aug-16 22:29:07

Yes. I sit on windowsills and not too happy about it anymore. Got pigeon splodge to clean off though. hmm Daft birds.

oldgoat Thu 25-Aug-16 23:00:07

My mum used to sit out on the upstairs window cills to clean the casement windows and my sister and I would hang onto her legs to stop her falling out. When DD was leaving her flat I decided to clean her filthy window by Mum's method, stuck my head out and decided to leave it mucky, Absolutely terrifying!

lizzypopbottle Fri 26-Aug-16 01:07:08

My experience using a karcher window vac is that you have to clean the window yourself first with water and detergent. The karcher just dries the window by sucking the water off again. The karcher doesn't actually clean the window. Elbow grease is still required.

suzied Fri 26-Aug-16 07:01:20

No you just spray on vinegar/ water or washing up liquid whatever, then the Karcher hoovers it up , cleaning at the same time . Simples. My first one broke when it got water in the handset and I couldn't charge it. I was able to send it back to Amazon and got a replacement.

PamelaJ1 Fri 26-Aug-16 07:08:52

My K is fabulous for condensation in the winter. I dropped it and broke it at the end of last winter so bought a new one that included the spray bottle. That is useless, if you put any pressure on the cleaning cloth thing it just pops off. Good job it came free!