Gransnet forums

House and home

Himself left the door open on our self defrosting freezer

(23 Posts)
jollyg Sat 30-Jul-16 14:47:31

Having been in hospital for a few days, himself was manning the ship, doing his best!

Come home and go into the freezer, auto defrost, and some shelves have frozen dripping ice on them.

What to do? My first thought itself it sort itself out. Not knowing when this occurred it is difficult to assess.

Any words of wisdom out there will help

annsixty Sat 30-Jul-16 15:26:41

I think you will have to switch it off and defrost it.
This happened to mine. I think the tube where the water goes gets blocked and the whole thing works overtime and gets frozen up. I don't think it will right itself.

annsixty Sat 30-Jul-16 15:27:51

PS hope you are now well.

aggie Sat 30-Jul-16 15:31:42

I am thinking the same , mine was left very slightly open overnight, had to throw most of the top stuff away , the tightly packed bottom drawers were still frozen

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Jul-16 15:42:43

I'd say if the stuff inside is defrosted then it's spoiled but if the things are still frosty I see a cooking marathin in your future smile

Charleygirl Sat 30-Jul-16 15:49:08

This happened to friends of mine. The man of the house switched off the plug by accident, later found all of the food defrosting nicely so he ended up spending an entire day cooking. They never buy previously frozen food, it was a large amount to cook as it is a chest freezer they possess. I doubt if he will learn from that mishap.

jollyg Sun 31-Jul-16 08:11:56

Thanks all, as far asI can ascertain damage is not too bad. We dry things on a pulley and if you put the clothes near the frost free freezer they got caught up in the door.

Needless to say, I have pointed this out before!

This morning it was hunt the hot water bottle, 'Have not seen it', but there it was under a pile of newly ironed clothes.

He irons well not like my slapdash efforts and am so glad he offered to do it

Hopspital was a pleasant experience, but when you see other poorly folk who seem to be in about once a fortnight, you count your blessings. Food was good, and we were weighed regularly, so no chance of being undernourished, tho I did lose a few pounds.

moobox Sun 31-Jul-16 09:14:17

I've done it a few times too

VIOLETTE Sun 31-Jul-16 09:48:03

Yesm sadly he has been there, done that ....and had to throw everything away. Of course, he DID NOT leave the door open ....same as this morning when he nearly set the house on fire by putting down his toast twice as it ' wasn't brown enough '...this is the fourth toaster in a year, none of them are suitable for him ...they either miss the top from browning, or are not brown enough ! He won't let me do it as 'I don't do it right'. all the smoke alarms in the house went off and the house is STILL smelling of acrid burning bread ....all the doors and windows are open ! With his memory loss, he is getting worse ...thank goodness I was at home or there would have been no house to come home to ! He also tells me that \the tv switches itself on when we are out\ ....no, it doesn't, at least not when I switch it off !...it is getting worse unfortunately ...and it is never his fault, so I am the one who gets shouted and sworn at !!

MEN !!!!! what can you do ?!......

Hope you are feeling better ...doesn't look like you are getting much post hospital rest though ! Bless him, he tried !(even if it has cost him !)...

aquagran Sun 31-Jul-16 10:57:10

Our TV switches itself on. It scares the life out of me if I am in the kitchen and I suddenly hear voices in the living room! Have to switch it off at the mains when away or neighbours checking on house would have a heart attack! Anyone else's do that?

harrigran Sun 31-Jul-16 11:26:55

My previous TV did that, DH would not believe me he said I just forgot to switch it off hmm

annifrance Sun 31-Jul-16 11:35:38

I heard on Radio 4 that within 48 hours and the door had not been opened more than the 'discovery' then it was OK to refreeze it. I've done this, but only for us, and here to tell the tale.

jollyg Sun 31-Jul-16 11:48:15

Thanks Violette, I am getting better, and he si very good at me having my milk [my choice] for the pills when i get up.

Best of all was asking to get clothes for going home. Asked for a jacket and trousers. Easy peasy ! I was brought an old waistcoat, cotton, no warmth and a pair of trousers which were left out for the charity bag, and are way too big. When in hospital I wore tshirts and pants, then realised I would be more comfortable in a wrap around. I use them all the time when i am in India, covers [ to UK] standards most of the body . Not pleasing to the old granny of the house, owner as your shoulders are exposed, but she got used to it.

Next his mob was always switched off, no wonder he had all the numbers wrong, no country code, got that sorted.

On been the OK to go home I phoned the working phone?

How are you getting home? 'Ill get the bus' [actually we are so lucky that way] vitrually door to door and we circumvent the dreadful PFI hospitals with huge parking charges.

Have you got your bus pass? I let the penny take a long time to drop, eventually it did.

So We went home with me in my hospital attire, by Taxi, which was actually cheaper than the parking charges.

The tellies and phone are so costly in PFI, thank goodness mobiles are
allowed. I took my small radio and earphones as well as eye mask and ear plugs.

The beds were super comfy, so felt I was in a * hotel

I used to blame Blair and co for PFI but it actually was introduced by the conservatives, but labour perfected the system.

miep Sun 31-Jul-16 13:18:54

Sorry to be stupid, but what's PFI?

Alima Sun 31-Jul-16 13:40:36

Public Funded Initiative. Did not realise the Tories started it off. Sounds like a huge scam to me!

mumofmadboys Sun 31-Jul-16 13:42:48

Private Finance Initiative

Alima Sun 31-Jul-16 13:44:16

That's the one moobs!

TriciaF Sun 31-Jul-16 14:28:01

One of our freezers has a door which is hard to close, on a slope I think.
He has not shut it properly a few times, left everything swimming. But luckily its a small one and not much waste.
I made a notice and stuck it on - 'CLOSE DOOR FIRMLY'.

Auntieflo Sun 31-Jul-16 14:34:22

Our TV switched itself on in the middle of the night. Gave OH a fright, I didn't hear it.
Turns out that the darn thing was set to update at 2 in the morning. That setting is now off, thank goodness. Perhaps that is what yours is doing.

jollyg Sun 31-Jul-16 14:36:17

Tricia,

Im sure you have one of these....... a spirit level.
Put on the top of the door and find out where the slant is.

A wee bit of cardboard or some thing more substantial will solve

TriciaF Sun 31-Jul-16 14:37:44

You're right, lollyg we must do that.

Elsie10 Sun 31-Jul-16 17:37:09

The door on our self defrosting fridge is a bit wonky and we have to gently kick the bottom to get it to shut properly. I cannot count the times DH just leaves the door to = especially in the evenings when he is retrieving his chilled beer cans. Many is the time that I have found the back of the fridge completely iced up and the glass shelves awash with water when I come down in the morning. I now make a habit of checking and kicking the fridge before I go to bed - such excitement so late at night!! How come I remember every time and he doesn't - just one more niggle in the life of a retiree..................

hulahoop Sun 31-Jul-16 19:45:24

When we turn our tele off we can sometimes hear chatting coming from it only last a minute or two it's very strange