Gransnet forums

House and home

Buying a riser/recliner - any advice, buying tips or recommendations please?

(24 Posts)
Synonymous Wed 24-Aug-16 23:44:35

I feel that I need a really comfy chair which I can get out of easily and even snooze in comfortably if I nod off. There are adverts on the TV for what would seem to be ideal chairs but the price is a bit off putting especially when DH could do with one too!. I know that you generally only get what you pay for but has anyone else bought one and do you have any useful tips.
Is leather a better option than fabric in terms of wear or is it too hot?
DH is tall so we will clearly need different sizes so how do you work out what to go for? I often buy on the internet as we live in the sticks and I don't have much energy to get out and browse big stores anyway but this seems a too difficult buy without actually seeing or touching. hmm

numberplease Thu 25-Aug-16 00:07:49

If you Google rise and recline chairs, there are a lot of sites selling them, and you`ll be able to compare prices, plus they usually give the size of the chair. We bought our 3 from Oakham mobility, and delivery was very quick.

Synonymous Thu 25-Aug-16 00:19:43

Thank you number smile I did Google and as you say there are rather a lot and I'm afraid I got pretty befuddled!
Did you visit a shop and try before you purchased or did you buy online and take a chance on getting the measurements right? Are you pleased with the quality and did you choose a fabric or leather?

POGS Thu 25-Aug-16 08:37:37

If you have a back problem or discomfort in my opinion you would serve yourself best by trying sitting in the chair and not going by appearance or price.

Most good companies/shops will bring chairs out to your home if necessary and do try and haggle over the price, I have found high priced disability friendly products can be lowered in price and definitely if you are buying 2 give it a go.

Some companies offer a Taylormade chair but this is obviously more costly but it is important to get the correct height for your leg and the correct back straightness of the chair. Also remember if you have a chair on trial at home you need a decent space between the chair in an upright position and declined so if it is to be positioned near a wall be mindful of that.

Happy hunting.

chelseababy Thu 25-Aug-16 08:44:34

Mil had a very bad experience (ripped off) with hers. I would advise googling your chosen company for complaints as it can be a very expensive mistake. Unfortunately can't remember who she used.

FarNorth Thu 25-Aug-16 09:03:22

Some models have a clever arrangement so they don't need much space behind them to recline in.
I recommend an electric control, rather than manual, as it makes the whole operation so much easier.

Teetime Thu 25-Aug-16 09:56:50

Some companies will come to you with a couple of models to try and 'fit you' so to speak. We did this for my MIL - sorry can't remember which company though.

Charleygirl Thu 25-Aug-16 12:10:16

I bought mine at DFS and have not been disappointed. I needed a slimmer than usual suite because I live in a modern house and my last furniture seemed to take over.

One armchair is "normal" ie no reclining positions but the one that I use is superb and I could lie almost flat out if I wanted. It is electric and so easy to manipulate.

The sofa is also reclinable, feet up only and it is manoeuvred (sp) by hand. It is a two seater and both sides can be manoeuvred individually.

Would I buy again- yes. Would I buy without trying, definitely no.

The only minor niggle for me is that my legs are quite long and I would have liked an extra inch or two for the foot recliner.

Synonymous Thu 25-Aug-16 14:04:28

Anyone bought from the one currently advertising so much on TV? They seem to be the most expensive of the lot but they do look most comfortable. hmm

Charleygirl Thu 25-Aug-16 14:13:25

An aunt of mine did and she thought that it was comfortable but I never did. She was around 6 stone if that to give you an idea of how thin she was. I am not sure if paying that amount of dosh is worth it. Also to me, the patterns were all "old lady" which I did not like.

aggie Thu 25-Aug-16 14:23:32

Oh has one , he was still mobile when we got it so he did get to sit in several and pick the one that suited . I find it extremely uncomfortable , the seat is too long for me and the high back makes me feel closed in . His is leather and is a bit sweaty , but the fabric ones sort of cling to your clothing , when fully reclined to lie down it is not great and takes up too much space . However we need it to help get him out of it and into a wheelchair , it does nearly get him to a standing position ! I came into the room to find he had been "playing" with the controls and found him nearly standing and panicked , soon got him zoomed back to sitting

Synonymous Thu 25-Aug-16 14:30:27

I know what you mean as regards the patterns Charleygirl which is why I wondered about the leather option but then I don't want to be 'done to a turn' if they make you hot. The cost is so much more too! I am not at all sure about investing so much in a chair which may not end up doing what you want it to do in the end.

I just know that I am going to have to go and try some out but it is such a big thing for me as I get so very tired and as we are nowhere near any of these big shops I will probably have to spend at least one night away too which adds to the amount of effort involved. I quail at the thought! blush

Synonymous Thu 25-Aug-16 14:33:52

Ooh aggie that sounds a bit scary! shock
Interesting about the leather v fabric too, I thought one might cook in leather. hmm

Nelliemoser Thu 25-Aug-16 14:40:51

Given my back problems I find it very difficult to find a suitable chair. I don't have very long legs and so many chairs are far too long in the seat. Over the years I have managed to be able to get comfortable at home. That is no soft seats at all and the settee we have has a relatively short seat swab. This suits OH as does not have very long legs either and is all back and short legs.

This is where every ones different body dimensions makes fining a suitable chair very difficult without having to resort to the expense of custom made.

Stansgran Thu 25-Aug-16 16:27:04

I do wish they would make furniture for the old in more modern designs. They are all based on very fuddy duddy styles. Surely as baby boomers we should have sleek and stylish designs. I wonder what the Scandinavians have?

Synonymous Thu 25-Aug-16 16:42:54

You are so right Stansgran they have not changed much since our own grandparents' day - and beyond! Whilst there are some good classics which are timeless for able people we now live in a modern technological age which means that electronics can be used to assist living and should be able to cater for less able people in a stylish way.

I have looked at the 'stressesless' range and am sorely tempted as they do look much more stylish but they don't have an integral riser and recliner so they are not so uncluttered. I have a separate footstool at present which takes my energy to move, as it is too heavy, and adjust and is never where I want it to be.
Perhaps made to measure, even though hideously expensive is the only answer! hmm

Wobblybits Thu 25-Aug-16 17:11:06

We have two Stressless recliners, they are extremely comfortable. We had the problem that we needed two different sizes. Some of the Stressless style come in a variety of widths and can have a riser ring fitted to raise the chair, this is what we have, both our chairs are the widest option ( big bums) and one has the riser ring. Having previously had chairs with integral footrests, I prefer the flexibility of the separate foot stool.
We tried dozens of recliners, but could not find any other that matched and suited us both

numberplease Thu 25-Aug-16 18:10:40

Synonymous, our daughter had 3 of these chairs previously, all bought from a local furniture store, her first 2 were fabric, the 3rd time she decided to try leather. However, after a while, although I`d regularly cleaned it with leather furniture polish, the leather in the set cracked. When we all decided to have matching chairs, we bought online from Oakham Mobility, the chairs were Drive Medical Nevadas, the fabric version, by no means the most expensive, but after 2 and a half years they`re still as good as new. I, just to be awkward, found that I didn`t like mine, and soon bought myself a nice comfy sofa, but daughter and hubby love theirs. They are electric controlled, with dual controls.

Synonymous Thu 25-Aug-16 19:29:30

Thank you again number smile Oakham Mobility also seem to be a better price than some others and it appears they will bring some out to you to try at home. Think I will give them a try.

numberplease Thu 25-Aug-16 22:18:15

Pleased to have been of help, hope you get sorted.

numberplease Thu 25-Aug-16 22:29:06

Synonymous, this is what we bought 3 of.

numberplease Thu 25-Aug-16 23:20:31

Excuse my daughter`s feet!

Synonymous Fri 26-Aug-16 00:26:34

That is just about the level where I want my feet! grin

Synonymous Fri 26-Aug-16 00:36:11

Thank you Wobblybits I have had a look at the stressless chairs and whilst they are very nice they are very pricey - unless you know a better way to buy! I think I need an integral footrest though and don't want to have to move a footstool around, it seems just one more thing to get in the way somehow. When you have limited energy a button to press seems the right way to go. smile