Gransnet forums

House and home

Lost car keys.

(25 Posts)
rubylady Fri 26-Aug-16 03:38:28

Well, my darling son has lost my car keys. He was taking things out of the boot on Monday and I've not seen the keys since. I have looked all over and even asked St. Anthony to help but nothing.

Any suggestions?

sunseeker Fri 26-Aug-16 07:34:12

In the boot, in his pocket, amongst the things he took out of the boot?

Mildred Fri 26-Aug-16 08:09:15

Did he drop them when he was carrying the stuff in the house.

cornergran Fri 26-Aug-16 08:21:30

On the floor under the car? Is there a bush between the car and the front door that could have absorbed them? A table in the hall they could have fallen behind? Frustrating, ruby, hope they turn up soon.

tanith Fri 26-Aug-16 09:32:50

Have you actually checked the boot? I have in the past put the keys down in the boot to lift up something heavy the shut the boot with them inside not locked of course.

Nelliemoser Fri 26-Aug-16 09:56:33

Oh don't even get me started on that.

Retrace your steps completely. I have fortunately never lost mine but I have mislaid them many times, like stopping to dead head some flowers and dropping the keys on the ground by the flower bed. Two journeys back into the village retracing our route before I found them.

He/you need to go right through the car move the seats check theuy have not fallen down the back of the seats etc. check all the boxes etc.
I have used my car keys to get into the garage, climbed into the garage loft to get something down. The keys don't fit well into a pocket so I have put them down on the boarding in the loft and forgotten them.

Cleverblonde Fri 26-Aug-16 10:09:46

what did he take out of the boot? I have tried to hook my keys on to my finger when I took the shopping out before only to lose the keys in one of the bags without realising!

Ana Fri 26-Aug-16 10:26:58

Haven't you got a spare key? All our cars have had at least two keys.

Linsco56 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:38:39

As Nelliemoser suggests, retrace your steps. Was it supermarket shopping being taken from the boot, if so check your cupboards and fridge. When all else fails, check your rubbish bin. Good luck.

NonnaW Fri 26-Aug-16 12:28:03

Ana we managed to lose one of our car keys so have to be very careful not to lose the other. The garage quoted hundreds of pounds for a new one!

Ana Fri 26-Aug-16 12:31:45

Most locksmiths and keycutters (eg Timpsons) will cut you a new set of car keys.

Linsco56 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:41:07

Do you have the original sales invoice from the car dealership? If so, you'll find the unique key reference/number somewhere near the top of the invoice. The dealership should be able to order a replacement for you if all else fails.

rubylady Fri 26-Aug-16 17:24:00

OH he is doing my head in! It's like motivating a sloth! Thanks for your wise words. Yes, I had two keys, unfortunately still on the same keyring. Der. He was bringing things in from Dunelm, new washing up bowl and drainer and storage boxes, all checked, nothing. The car is all locked up so he must have had them to lock it all but I can't remember him giving them back to me as he had a friend in and had got McD's so settled to eat. All packaging still checked, nothing. Even checked the friend, nothing. The car is parked just outside the front door, with only a small garden. He really is testing my patience though and the next four weeks can not go fast enough. Bring on the solitude and me putting something down and it staying put. [exasperated worn out mum]

rubylady Fri 26-Aug-16 17:25:04

That was Oh, not OH! grin Fraudien slip

cornergran Fri 26-Aug-16 18:05:04

Looks like a replacement is needed, ruby, sadly could be expensive. My guess is as soon as a replacement key is in your hand the originals will turn up. Keep sane smile, it will work itself out, it has to.

bikergran Fri 26-Aug-16 18:21:48

bit late for this now but maybe for the future...there is a little gadget (tracker) forgot its name that you can buy, to fasten on your keys..if you loose them you can find where they are via your mobile. not sure what the distance is,if you google, there is no set up fee etc, you just buy the tracker seem to think it was about £24 or you can buy them things that when you clap your hands its sound activates and bleeps...soz not much help other wise hmm

hildajenniJ Fri 26-Aug-16 18:35:44

I once managed to lock my keys I the boot. I had taken the children to visit my mam and dad. The children were in the house and I went to get something out of the boot. I had already locked the car doors. I opened the boot and laid the keys inside while I lifted out whatever it was ( I've forgotten now). I shut the boot which locked automatically. Oops. My mother had to look after the children while my dad drove me home to get the spare key.
Does the boot of your car lock automatically ruby? If that's the case they keys are probably in the boot.

Tegan Fri 26-Aug-16 18:45:50

I don't think car doors lock automatically any more. Was he carrying so much stuff that he would have had to go in the house, put it down then go out and lock the car. Has the MacDonalds stuff all been thrown away? Did he go in the kitchen with his food and put the keys down there before sitting down to eat? I know this 'if I can't see it it's because it's somewhere that I can't see'. I often find things in the fridge blush.

etheltbags1 Fri 26-Aug-16 21:59:58

My sympathy, I lost my house keys last week the keyring broke dropping off the house keys from the car keys, at least I can get in the car.

rubylady Sat 27-Aug-16 02:32:38

Problem sorted, thank goodness, keys found. smile They were under the electric recliner. I have now ordered a key rack and key finder, better to pay a little out than a lot. Plus, I didn't like the feeling that someone else might have the keys to my car. Panic over though. Thanks for all your help. flowers to all of you. X

Auntieflo Sat 27-Aug-16 14:21:39

Well done Ruby, now breathe..... It's good to have your peace of mind back. Who found them, you or your son?

Mildred Sat 27-Aug-16 16:17:40

Bet it was Ruby

rubylady Sat 27-Aug-16 23:37:15

Lol, no, it was my son, I can't get down that far on the floor! He has used the fact that he found them to have his friend round tomorrow playing guitar. I did point out that it was him that lost them in the first place! grin

cornergran Sun 28-Aug-16 00:17:22

That's a relief ruby, now separate the spare key and put it somewhere safe - as long as you remember where that safe place is all will be well grin. You should sleep well tonight.

Grannynise Sun 28-Aug-16 22:15:47

I have a key replacement insurance as part of my AA membership. It wasn't at all expensive and the service I had when I lost my keys was excellent. I'm sure the other motoring organisations do something similar.