Gransnet forums

House and home

Single beds double duvets

(30 Posts)
overthehill Wed 28-Sep-16 10:02:10

We've got rid of our king size double and bought 2 single beds as sleeping was proving very difficult for me. This has made a huge difference to me and glad we took the plunge.

However, I had to buy bed linen fast to go on the new beds so bought single duvets and covers from Linen Direct. Couple of things, I am not overly impressed with the quality of the covers as they need pressing...eek before use, so we intended to redecorate the room next year so will buy new.

This is the question/s:
If I were to buy double duvets would they be suitable for single beds, or would they drag on the floor?
I am also considering buying sheets to go under the duvets should they be double or single do you think?
The bottom fitted sheets I have, does not keep in place particularly well, not sure if again it is the quality, or should I go for a flat sheet instead of fitted?

Sorry lots of questions, hope to get answers to some at least.

grannylyn65 Wed 28-Sep-16 10:10:39

I use dd on single beds, they just touch floor, use double sheet secured with nappy pin !!!

Ana Wed 28-Sep-16 10:15:26

I have a single bed and a double duvet which hangs about an inch from the floor. My bed has drawers underneath which might make it a bit higher.

I use a single flat sheet over the mattress.

jusnoneed Wed 28-Sep-16 10:16:51

I use double duvets on our single beds, need a nice bit over you in the winter. Mine don't touch the floor. I use single sheets, have fitted and flat. The only ones I found too small were some cheap ones, bought better quality and they have been fine.

Charleygirl Wed 28-Sep-16 10:20:14

I personally prefer a fitted sheet because I think that a flat sheet "moves".

When renting just after we were married, there were two single beds and each had a double duvet. We pushed the beds together but they were different heights! I liked the extra material to wrap around me during the night but leaving it tidy next day was impossible because there was so much hanging over that I felt that it looked untidy.

On my own, I now have a double bed with a king sized duvet. After my knee replacement I tried putting a double sheet under the duvet to save me changing the duvet cover weekly as I could not physically manage to change it for a few weeks. It did not work for me, I was getting my feet tangled in the sheet which easily came adrift.

Re the fitted bottom sheet, a lot depends on the depth of your mattress. I have a slight problem also but it is easier to correct than faff around with a flat sheet.

Swanny Wed 28-Sep-16 10:26:22

I have a nice high bed - so much easier for getting in and out. It's a double bed but there's only me in it and I move a lot during the night and sometimes the duvet gets lost, so I'm thinking about getting a king size duvet. I know if I was in a single bed I would want a double duvet to keep me warmly covered

Charleygirl Wed 28-Sep-16 10:29:14

Swanny it makes a lot of difference having more to wrap around you and no more cold spots on very cold nights.

shysal Wed 28-Sep-16 11:11:13

If you use a top sheet under the duvet you can turn over without taking the duvet with you, and no cold body parts poking out! I am a hot body so haven't used a duvet for many years, but that is what I used to do, tucking it in on one side only, making it easy to get out on the other.

Greyduster Wed 28-Sep-16 11:32:32

I use a double duvet on the single bed GS uses when he is over here as he doesn't kick it off. He tends to 'lose' a single duvet during the night as he is always on the move (he's like a little windmill!). It hangs just above the floor on either side, but I always tuck one side in. I use fitted sheets for the most part, though I do have some flat sheets I use occasionally.

Tizliz Wed 28-Sep-16 11:54:49

If you buy this range: www.dunelm.com/product/white-hotel-plain-300-thread-count-bed-linen-collection-b02120 they will not move. But they are very difficult to iron and fold away because there is so much elastic.

The thread count makes such a difference to quality and price

Stansgran Wed 28-Sep-16 12:16:19

I have superking size duvets on all beds. On the single beds because they are high ones with truckle beds underneath the duvets touch the floor and look IMO perfectly tidy. On our king size bed I tuck the duvet in. I'm one as well who as a flat sheet under the duvet . Stops cold spots

henetha Wed 28-Sep-16 14:42:50

In winter I always have a double duvet on my single bed.
It doesn't touch the floor, and prevents all those nasty little draughts from creeping around my nether regions.

Jane10 Wed 28-Sep-16 15:33:39

Not being contrary but I like 2 single duvets on a double bed. Saves a lot of argument and chilly extremities.

NotTooOld Wed 28-Sep-16 20:26:40

I have a king sized duvet on our double bed which works much better than the double one I used to have. It doesn't touch the floor but is long enough not to show the sides of the bed and looks tidy. Of course, it did mean I had to buy a lot of new duvet covers but it has been worth it. I like cotton bed linen and am pleased that Morrisons now stock 100% cotton as does Matalan. It used to be very hard to get.

PamelaJ1 Thu 29-Sep-16 06:45:12

This query isn't quite the same as the OP but we have a tempur mattress, only 20cms thick and all the fitted sheets I've tried are a bit too big, even the tempur one I bought.
Any ideas?

allule Thu 06-Oct-16 14:27:21

I've always used a size bigger duvet....double on a single bed; king size on double; and now super king on King size...give a more lavish feel at little extra cost.
My wish is that duvet labels had the sizes on them, instead of just tog rating. I try to sort them out and write the sizes on the labels, but end up tangled in duvets...particularly when I have cats helping!

annabelbryony Thu 10-Nov-16 08:48:11

Hi,According to my idea single duvet is best for single bed but if you want to use double duvet then its managable. Recently I bought one duvet set for my child from Imshoppingfor, which provides better quality and comfortable products. Really he is very much happy after getting that. Thanks. I hope you understand.

mumofmadboys Thu 10-Nov-16 08:58:50

Advertising!! Reported

thatbags Thu 10-Nov-16 09:38:44

I wonder if HQ will agree that that's advertising. I don't think it is. There's no link. The poster has just told us where she bought something. I think that's allowed. No worse than me saying I recently bought an electric heater from John Lewis or a pair of trousers from M&S.

Let us know, HQ smile

thatbags Thu 10-Nov-16 09:39:34

And there have been whole threads about Not Your Daughter's Jeans.

mumofmadboys Thu 10-Nov-16 10:19:19

I thought the pics looked like store advertising. Sorry.

Ana Thu 10-Nov-16 10:24:44

I'm pretty sure it's (quite timely!) advertising, they're often tacked onto the ends of older threads.

But I don't bother reporting them any more unless it's really obvious.

Indinana Thu 10-Nov-16 10:27:25

You're right, momb - the picture is indeed from their website.

thatbags Thu 10-Nov-16 10:41:18

No need to apologise, momb. HQ may agree with you.

Bellanonna Thu 10-Nov-16 11:04:11

I thought the wording of the poster sounded as though it could be from an advertiser. Don't think I could be persuaded in any case ! Nice to see you, btw, Indinana !