Gransnet forums

News & politics

No RIP for Stephen Lawrence yet

(15 Posts)
JessM Fri 07-Mar-14 06:53:44

I feel terribly sorry for Lady Lawrence and for Neville Lawrence. The metropolitan police placed an undercover officer to spy on them. !!!!
This can only have been motivated by a desire to protect police officers and/or their cronies and/or the murderers. Why else would that decision have been made? Another public enquiry, focussing on police corruption, looms. Twenty years and counting and still these brave people are suffering - not only did they lose a son but they were victims of the Met. (Yes I believe they have improved but some of those involved in this disgrace are still employed.)

Aka Fri 07-Mar-14 06:58:35

Many more victims of institutionalised corruption I suspect.

Anniebach Fri 07-Mar-14 09:32:36

The Lawrence family will never get justice, this new public enquiry will go on and on and every attempt to cover up the truth will still be made.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Mar-14 09:52:29

Yes. It is shocking. And this public enquiry has to be carried out. But, the cost to that family! Stephen's dad doesn't seem too happy about it. I wonder if I could have gone on fighting for complete justice like Doreen Lawrence has done. She is an amazing woman.

gillybob Fri 07-Mar-14 10:22:19

Stephens dad is probably thinking that it will all be a waste of time and tears as they will never see justice. Can you really imagine those at the top of the Met being brought to justice? Going to prison and having their gold plated pensions removed ? Anniebach I agree with you.

whenim64 Fri 07-Mar-14 10:42:26

I feel so sad for the Lawrences. The stories I've heard about police corruption over the years are really distressing because they denigrate the fine police officers who are moral and committed to doing a great job for the public. I hope the Lawrences have met more such officers than those who have dragged the Met's name through the mud. I can imagine how upset those support police officers would be, to be lumped together like this and wondering if the Lawrences now think they were exploiting them, too sad

Atqui Fri 07-Mar-14 18:43:03

Well said when. Unfortunately there only seem to be brickbats, never any bouquets.

positivepam Fri 07-Mar-14 23:28:55

I have to say I feel utter respect for Doreen Lawrence and she has been through so much and deserves justice.
I have to say, we were lucky with the police that we had when our son was brutally murdered. From the very start, they were really helpful, caring and supported us as a family all the way through the whole process. From when they first came to tell us about his attack, to going on the television, to going to court. I have every confidence in the police who were with us every step of the way, I just wish Doreen Lawrence had been assigned the same support, help and caring that we had. I know exactly what emotions she went through in the facts that they were both unprovoked attacks, but, I feel that is where we part company for our treatment. Was it because we are white and she is black, I do not know honestly but I have my thoughts as everyone else has. And I am outraged that the police would treat her case any differently from ours. You never get the real justice you should have but she has had all the added hurts, secrecy and lies about her, her son and her family. I just hope one day she may get some peace. I send her my love and respect.

Joelsnan Fri 07-Mar-14 23:42:55

flowers

whenim64 Fri 07-Mar-14 23:44:05

pam flowers your ability to look objectively at the differences in how your two families were treated is humbling. Much respect to you.

JessM Sat 08-Mar-14 07:30:48

Pam flowers That post is worthy of a letter to the Times.
It may yet emerge that it was maybe not the "institutional racism" but the fact that many of the police involved in the investigation (if true couldn't have been just one or two) were in cahoots with the local criminal underworld and were protecting the murderers for that reason. If a police officer is taking bribes from a criminal and a son or nephew of that criminal is accused of a serious crime, the police are not going to be in a position to act impartially. Perhaps the "institutional racism" was a clever smoke screen by those in the Met.
Which is not to say that the met at the time was a model of good practice on race relations!
Walton has been removed from his job in counter terrorism command and given something else to do. Not suspended.

I am still shocked when I remember that a recent Met chief thought it OK to accept a long stay in Champney's without paying for it. Whatever he thought was the reason for the gift. (friendship? A favour? Is it right for anyone in such a powerful position to accept such gifts or favours? Of course it isn't.)
This was very recent and does not inspire me to think that the Met has a grip on appropriate ethical boundaries yet.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2110424/Leveson-Inquiry-Sir-Paul-Stephenson-resigned-freebie-Champneys-spa.html

Aka Sat 08-Mar-14 07:50:51

Pam that was a very moving and brave post. You understand the pain of losing a son to a violent, unprovoked attack so can compare your own experience with the Lawrence's experience. I am pleased your experience in the aftermath of this tragedy was one of support and care at that dreadful time. You express empathy and outrage on behalf of another grieving parent and acknowledge all the 'additional hurts' which should never have happened.
For you flowers and ((((hugs))))

Eloethan Sat 08-Mar-14 10:04:01

It's not just the terrible past injustices done to the Lawrence family - the report apparently also suggests that corruption continues to be endemic and that there may well be other unsafe convictions/miscarriages of justice.

mollie Sat 08-Mar-14 12:46:45

It's outrageous that any family, but this family especially, has had to go through ALL THIS since their precious son was murdered. So much time and money has been spent trying to get justice, so many tears shed, and here we are, decades later, still discovering the level of corruption and mishandling they've had to face. No wonder the police are treated with suspicion and scepticism but can we ever hope to get a totally honest, unbiased police force? Sadly, I doubt it. After all, we employ people and not robots.

I'd like to know what is going to happen to this 'corrupt' ex-copper now, living the life of riley on Menorca ... will he be charged?

positivepam Sat 08-Mar-14 22:54:15

I would just like to say thank you for all your support. I just wonder when we will all be treated the same and seen as equal. It makes me desperately sad that we still are going through all this institutional racism and also homophobia. Why are we threatened by anybody who appears to be different in anyway shape or form?
We have this case and then the Hillsborough disaster and when I hear of some police members who claimed compensation for the suffering they went through again I get mystified as to who were the real victims. Please do not get me wrong I know there were and are real heroes but, we are still getting it wrong aren't we?
We need more people like Doreen Lawrence but without having to go through all the hurt, pain, deception, corruption and all the other horrendous things that she went through just to try and get justice.
I know I am not the only Gran to go through such pain and I want to send my love and hugs to all of you other Grans that are still hurting. You are stronger than you think. flowers