Gransnet forums

News & politics

Central African Republic

(7 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 11:15:14

I have put this under "In the News", but the trouble is, it's not. And I think it should be. Horrible, dreadful, things going on and the world stands by and does nothing.

Selfish mankind.

nigglynellie Tue 18-Mar-14 17:22:20

Absolutely appalling things are going on in this area. I heard an interview on Radio 4 this morning and it was awful. Apparently the Christian population are hell bent on either killing, or driving all Muslims, men women and children out of the country. There are virtually no troops on the ground to defend these poor people so heaven only knows what awful scenario will unfold. As you say, Jinglbells, the world does nothing, but having said that apart from flooding the place with soldiers, realistically European/American ones, re-establishing a government, getting the place economically on its feet and training up a proper/loyal defence force, what CAN the world do?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 17:33:45

Yes. I heard the same interview. About all those people hiding in a church, just waiting for the inevitable. I don't know what should be done. Perhaps a peace-keeping force? Perhaps it should be reported on more widely. So that, at least, people are aware.

Mishap Tue 18-Mar-14 17:39:25

Well three cheers for Christianity then. It makes you despair.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 17:41:47

Christians they ain't!!! Far from it.

nigglynellie Tue 18-Mar-14 18:32:08

I despair of religion full stop. I was brought up as a practising Christian. In my thirties we lived next door to a lovely lady who was religious, without being tiresome, and I remember telling her that I now queried all the things that I had been brought up to believe, and did, unreservedly. Her reply was that I would rediscover my faith when I was older/old (!) Well, I've news for that long dead lady, I am now old and I haven't, in fact I don't even query any more, I simply don't believe, which is a pity because I would like to, but bottom line is, that I don't.

Mishap Tue 18-Mar-14 18:45:24

But they call themselves Christians, and the majority of "benign" Christians have to accept that this is how some people interpret their religion. The dangers are ever-present.