Gransnet forums

News & politics

No women serving lunch at Hague summit

(45 Posts)
thatbags Tue 25-Mar-14 09:30:14

The world is going bonkers and sexism abounds. #despair

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 09:35:46

I would presume Angela is not going to be 'distracted' by a handsome young waiter.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 09:35:51

Considering what ministers' sex lives often turn out to be like, I'm not surprised they worry about women being a distraction. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Mar-14 09:36:25

They obviously know the group they are catering for.

vegasmags Tue 25-Mar-14 09:38:56

It's so pathetic and dispiriting. However, I love the look on David Cameron's face - wow, look at me, I've really made it! It's like being on a film set and I get to take home the free pen and pencil they gave me!
Also pathetic and dispiriting.

penguinpaperback Tue 25-Mar-14 09:54:56

On the bright side only Angela has to suffer their company on the behalf of us. smile

Gally Tue 25-Mar-14 10:16:12

Presumably the over 25 blonde women staff could wear trousers and a jacket to 'blend in' and then nobody would have to look up their skirts on the stairs

Anne58 Tue 25-Mar-14 10:28:52

Yes, Gally dress all staff in trouser suits, get them to wear masks (or even balaclava helmets) et voila! Problem solved!

rosesarered Tue 25-Mar-14 11:13:08

Your're a bit spiky this morning phoenix grin Actually it's a good idea for all waiting staff [everywhere] to wear trousers/jacket as it's smart and practical.

Anne58 Tue 25-Mar-14 11:30:32

Sorry roses perhaps overcompensating. blush

Mishap Tue 25-Mar-14 11:30:33

They could have them all in burkas, male and female - problem solved! No religious offence given; no-one can see who they are to detect their gender; and the uniformity is preserved. It would prevent anyone being overcome with lust over the prawn cocktail as they discuss nuclear mass murder.

Lord above - what sort of a world are we living in!?

I agree about the pic of Cameron - quite comic really. At least it was not a "selfie."

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 11:34:36

Mishap, I'm assuming you are referring to the delegates grin

durhamjen Tue 25-Mar-14 12:45:54

The answer's simple. Do not give them lunch.

MiceElf Tue 25-Mar-14 12:58:29

Excellent suggestion DJ. Let them bring their own snap like the rest of the proletariat. That'd learn them.

Gally Tue 25-Mar-14 13:12:56

Thank you Roses wink.
I would much prefer to be served by a lady in plain easy to wear trousers and sensible top rather than bursting out of a low cut top or wiggling her a***e in a pelmet and it seems sensible for an occasion like lunch at the Hague Summit, for staff to be coordinated and sensibly attired so they blend in and let the delegates get on with what they are there for in the first place.

janerowena Tue 25-Mar-14 13:53:56

I find it quite funny. The suggestion of attractive women wearing delft blue dresses is just as bad, but the question of someone wanting them to look uniformly alike is again rather odd. Banqueting staff usually come in all shapes, sizes, genders and ages and that is how it should be - because they are all there because they need the work.

Anne58 Tue 25-Mar-14 14:28:55

I've just had a brief thought flash!

Drug the food, but in a sort of "good" way. Something that would make them all speak the truth, or be able to see the other side of the debate, or join hands and start a multi national hokey cokey.........

POGS Tue 25-Mar-14 15:16:58

What a crock of !

I agree thatbags, the world has gone crazy.

felice Tue 25-Mar-14 16:37:58

DD went for a trial in a posh hotel here mainly catering for the EU business boys. She was wearing a back skirt and white blouse. She is tall and blonde.
2 nice English business men sitting at the bar heard her only speaking French to the bar manager, and started to describe what they would like to do to her, graphically. She ignored them, when she went to the bar to collect an order of drinks one of them stuck his hand up her skirt, all the way. She slapped him hard and told him in English exactly what she thought of him and his 'friend', SHE was told to leave immediately and not come back.
I found out who they were and they were given a good talking to by their bosses.
her skirt was not short and they were both in their 50's.

felice Tue 25-Mar-14 16:38:27

Sorry black skirt.

absent Tue 25-Mar-14 18:14:38

I would bet good money that none of the delegates notices any of the catering staff and wouldn't be able to tell you whether they were men or women.

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:18:55

I expecct the women are all busy in the scullery, stuck at the sink washing up where they belong.

absent Tue 25-Mar-14 19:10:44

Or, if they are supporters of UKIP, cleaning behind the fridge.

rosequartz Tue 25-Mar-14 19:14:03

Did that yesterday, absent. I hope you are not suggesting I need to do it again this year.
Ah, no, don't support UKIP, don't have to do it again!

JessM Tue 25-Mar-14 19:24:27

Bet that guy did not have any black men either - it would spoil the nice tidy look of the team.
Also bet he has a very tidy sock drawer.