Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yashike Bhageerathi deported

(18 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 02-Apr-14 22:33:36

Despite the best efforts of tens of thousands of Twitter users, campaigners and lawyers to spread the word and try to persuade the authorities not to deport her, Yashika was put on a flight this evening and has been deported one and a half months before her exams. Absolutely disgusted! angry

moomin Wed 02-Apr-14 22:39:00

Totally agree when

rosequartz Wed 02-Apr-14 22:42:56

Me too. She said she would have returned willingly with her family in six weeks after her exams. I am appalled.

durhamjen Wed 02-Apr-14 22:59:35

What was the point of educating her for two years, then doing this?
Absolutely appalled as well, but I cannot say I am surprised. I bet not even Nigel Farage would have been so heartless.

annodomini Wed 02-Apr-14 23:00:20

Inhumane or do I mean inhuman? Both.

BAnanas Thu 03-Apr-14 09:25:44

I can't believe how this poor girl and her family have been treated because of an anomaly, cases like this should be looked at on an individual basis. I know Mauritius is not heavy handed as far as human rights are concerned, my first husband was from there and I visited the island a long time ago. I gather in this case it's all to do with a violent relative. All the Mauritians I have known have been very hard working and had come here to gain a qualification in something like accountancy. I see no reason to expel this young woman from our country who I gather was on track for university.
I can't help contrasting her case with those who have flagrantly abused our laws and are still allowed to stay.

Lilygran Thu 03-Apr-14 09:38:00

Absolutely bewildering! If the family was given asylum when she was a minor, how is she suddenly no longer in danger? And why deport her just before her exams? And shouldn't she have qualified to stay anyway as a bona fide student?

Iam64 Thu 03-Apr-14 10:07:40

How she could be deported, whilst other members of her immediate family, including her mother, remain here.

JessM Thu 03-Apr-14 20:09:14

Just bloody vindictive not to let her sit her exams.

goldengirl Thu 03-Apr-14 20:34:05

And yet they allow terrorists to stay here because of their 'human rights'!! She might be 19 but a young girl still needs her mum

Deedaa Thu 03-Apr-14 20:53:37

I am disgusted beyond words!!! When you see some of the people who are allowed to stay here!!! Yet again they are going for the soft target.

felice Fri 04-Apr-14 17:00:24

Going to be Devils Advocate here, I do not think she was a minor when she arrived in the UK, her Mother had already been there for 2 years, and exactly what were they applying for asylum for from Mauritius, I have friends from there and they are quite surprised at the whole matter. ???

whenim64 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:51:11

They were escaping violence from a relative, weren't they? That's what I last heard on the news. Worrying if there was no way to protect them in their home country.

petra Fri 04-Apr-14 18:21:04

I don't know if I've missed something here, but why are her Mother and siblings allowed to stay. Have they been granted asylum.
Playing devils advocate. How do we know that's the truth. It's only one persons side of a story.

felice Fri 04-Apr-14 18:32:44

if everyone who was threatened violence from a relative was allowed asylum in another country suerley that would make a mockery of the real asylum laws.

Ana Fri 04-Apr-14 18:36:22

Yes. Apparently Pakistani women can be allowed asylum on such grounds because if they were to return to their home country they could be sentenced to death on some trumped-up charge. I wouldn't have thought Mauritius had such a bad reputation in that regard.

felice Fri 04-Apr-14 19:08:59

just had a quick Google and it appears the island is well known for it's liberal laws and democratic freedom !!!!!.

GadaboutGran Fri 04-Apr-14 19:31:57

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the case, I was appalled they didn't take the compassionate approach & let her stay until she completed her exams. Meanwhile the Mafia boss stays here because Italian prisons are not up to scratch.