Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mumsnet bug

(8 Posts)
alternativegran Mon 14-Apr-14 20:06:07

I have just heard on the news that Mumsnet may have been affected by a bug and users should change their passwords, does it affect Gransnet too?

positivepam Mon 14-Apr-14 22:47:56

alternativegran this is a bug that was actually identified two years ago and is called "Heartbleed". As the main servers haven't as yet advised resetting passwords, I do not think at the moment there would be anything to worry about. Several of us on here have received emails from mumsnet saying they have removed our passwords and we have to reset. I think there would be more advice about if there was a real panic and my DS in Germany says it isn't even on the news there. I asked the same about our passwords here but, I presume as we haven't heard anything it is considered safe.

Ana Mon 14-Apr-14 22:49:49

There are several threads about this now - does no one read the Active list before they post? confused

positivepam Mon 14-Apr-14 22:55:28

Not always no, does it matter? hmm

Ana Mon 14-Apr-14 23:03:09

Well, it would save all the duplications...hmm

kittylester Tue 15-Apr-14 06:38:05

And all the replies would be in one place! grin

ninathenana Tue 15-Apr-14 08:36:32

I can't remember her name but mumsnet founder has just been on breakfast TV and recommends everyone change all their passwords. Particularly if they use the same passwords for several sites.

Elegran Tue 15-Apr-14 08:48:24

Gransnet say that they have not been affected. It might still be a good idea to change passwords from time to time, but not to panic.