Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mother on death row in Sudanese jail.

(132 Posts)
gillybob Fri 30-May-14 09:25:15

I am so angry, frustrated and sad. What can we do to help this poor, beautiful young woman?

Why is the world Muslim community not speaking out?

angry sad

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643466/First-picture-death-row-mother-baby-gave-birth-shackled-Sudanese-jail-authorities-announce-receive-100-LASHES-execution-marrying-Christian.html

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-May-14 09:31:50

Why indeed. hmm

TerriBull Fri 30-May-14 09:33:42

Barbaric gillybob as was the stoning to death of the young Pakistani woman by her own family because they didn't approve of her husband. I believe she was pregnant, so that's two deaths they are responsible for. Could it get any worse for women who live under these hateful misogynistic regimes.

Iam64 Fri 30-May-14 09:44:18

There is (inevitably) an on line petition against the penalty imposed on this young woman.

The stoning to death of the young Pakistani woman was horrific, as are the further details emerging now about the family involved. The woman's husband evidently strangled his existing wife so he could marry the younger woman. The young woman's family have (according to the husband) already killed one of her sisters because of "family honour'.

Agus Fri 30-May-14 09:54:19

I signed this petition last week. DD told me yesterday of another case where a young Muslim mother was stoned to death by her own family.

I will never understand the mindset of these people sad and angry

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-May-14 10:00:26

Yes. Well. Perhaps we should stop talking about "de-establishing" the House of Lords and suchlike. Get rid of the Christians in this country and you will let the muslims in. Including the nasty fundamentalists.

Soutra Fri 30-May-14 10:05:38

That's extrapolating a bit isn't it? I don't see how disestablishing the House of Lords or the Church of England for that matter quite gets us there? hmm

HollyDaze Fri 30-May-14 10:21:09

I, too, was horrified to hear of that young woman being stone to death by the male members of her family; truly barbaric. I also blame those who stood and watched but did nothing - it really does sum up a woman's worth in those countries.

I share jinblbellsfrocks concern regarding fundamentalists and also the rise of sharia law in the UK. The UK should have one law: UK law and none other. Why are these permitted:

www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2012/November/Islamic-Sharia-Law-Comes-to-Great-Britain/

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9975937/Inside-Britains-Sharia-courts.html

Lilygran Fri 30-May-14 10:28:39

I think associating the disgraceful treatment of girls and women with a particular religion helps to obscure the fact that they are treated badly all over the world. There was a horrible report on Today this morning about child brides in Africa - children actually sold by their families who resort to this as a means of overcoming extreme poverty. Then there was a story about two young low caste girls in Uttar Pradesh who were gang raped and then murdered when they went into the wood to defecate. No latrines in the village and their families said the police refused to take action when they were reported as missing. Women are treated as property in many places and poverty drives families into using them as commodities. Sign the petitions! Tell your friends! Support the NGOs providing health care, education, clean water and latrines! Don't let the anti-lobby persuade the government to reduce foreign aid!

petallus Fri 30-May-14 10:38:01

Extra bit of news in the paper this morning about the young woman who was stoned to death by her relatives. Seems her husband, who has been complaining about the event, has admitted strangling his first wife in order to be able to marry the woman who was stoned. He also said his father in law had already killed another daughter because he fell out with her husband.

It's unbelievable!

rosesarered Fri 30-May-14 11:42:00

Yes, it's not so bad living in the Uk after all is it?

rosesarered Fri 30-May-14 11:43:04

puts things into perspective.What hell holes those countries are.

gillybob Fri 30-May-14 11:47:38

As a wife, mother and grandma I cannot understand what goes on in these peoples heads. I honestly can't. Are they made differently? Do they not feel love like we do? sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-May-14 11:50:52

Lillygran unfortunately outrageous treatment of women is associated with the radical element of a particular religion. We need to be on our guard to Not allow it a foot in the door of this country.

Not sure what 'NGO s' are but agree about aid.

GillT57 Fri 30-May-14 12:02:45

I appreciate that this may unleash comment, but couldnt the Foreign Office put pressure on their counterparts in he countries where these atrocities occur? I understand the argument about foreign aid being necessary to alleviate the terrible poverty and subsequent lack of sanitation, roads, school etc. but surely I can't be the only person who despairs of watching reports on TV of mobs of young men on trucks firing AK 47's in the air, or reading of the success of the Nigerian film industry or of India's space programme, and then seeing reports of these terrible crimes against women? How can he money be found for guns/film making/space programmes? Surely the responsibility lies with the (often corrupt) governments of these countries? Maybe if there was a threat of the money drying up they would do something? I hope I don't come across as uncaring, I am not, in fact I get incandescent with rage when I see and read these reports, I have a 17 year old daughter and look at her and realise what an accident of birth can mean for your life chances. I just think we should have less hand wringing, and more action.

petallus Fri 30-May-14 12:05:05

What jings, you mean like burning witches at the stake? And what about the inquisition?

Planks in eyes?

gillybob Fri 30-May-14 12:06:50

I totally agree with you GillT57 and you don't come across as uncaring at all. Quite the opposite infact.

I agree with jingl's comment about "not allowing it a foot in the door of this country" too. But I wonder if it isn't already seeping in through the cracks?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-May-14 12:07:39

Would n't it have been good if all the "just" wars we have fought recently had been simply to get rid of the evil people in these countries. Might not feel quite so bad about the loss of life amongst our servicemen then.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-May-14 12:09:26

I Wasn't actually going back that far in history petallus. grin Thinking more of present times.

TerriBull Fri 30-May-14 14:36:54

I agree with you jinglebell, the extremist fundamentalist side of Islam is very alarming and completely at odds with any free thinking Western society. The treatment they hand out to women, religious minorities, apostates and gay people is entrenched in the middle ages, when ironically they were far more forward thinking and tolerant than the Christian majority.

We must not allow this backward idealogy to take over by stealth which seems to be happening in certain areas. To hell with political correctness when horrors are being inflicted on women and children.

GillT57 Fri 30-May-14 14:47:11

surely 'political correctness' or understanding of 'cultural differences' should not enter into this? It is wrong in any interpretation of culture or religion to torture, murder any group of society because of their race, colour, religion, gender or sexual orientation. I think I get even more angry with apologists than with the perpetrators, if I was to declare that as part of my 'religion' it was necessary to skin a kitten alive/remove testicles from gay men/suffocate adulterers then surly I would be rightly condemned and jailed for it, so what is the difference if some old ignorant mullah declares that this particular atrocity be it FGM or stoning to death of a pregnant woman is a necessary part of the religion? And I am stunned by the silence from the Muslim community, who surely should be eager to distance themselves from this evil?

HollyDaze Fri 30-May-14 15:46:01

A rare occasion where I am left speechless!

I have just been reading the news and came across this article:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-27622710

In Arab culture, touching something sacred with a shoe is considered highly offensive.

The governor of Mecca, Prince Mishal Bin Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz, has reportedly ordered an investigation into the incident, and called for disciplinary action

So a policeman rested his foot against a rock structure and they are highly offended and ranting on Twitter but a young woman is pelted with stones until she dies is accepted and no-one was bothered enough to try to help her? Words fail me

POGS Fri 30-May-14 16:17:14

A thread was started on 16th May. In the News/ Sudan Female Doctor Get's Death Penalty For Apostasy

Janeainsworth kindly posted a petition site and a few GN's signed it.

POGS Fri 30-May-14 16:24:20

Please sign it. !

barbadosgan Fri 30-May-14 16:41:09

Please everyone sign the petition to stop this atrocity
www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/government-of-sudan-don-t-execute-meriam-yehya-ibrahim-for-being-christian-savemeriam?recruiter=103251240&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition