Gransnet forums

News & politics

The al-jazeera journalists.

(8 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-Jun-14 13:12:55

How can Egypt get away with this? Seven years in prison - for journalists! They have done nothing wrong. Without the likes of them we wouldn't know what was going on in the world, and the bad guys could get away with all the atrocities they liked! angry

story here

Eloethan Mon 23-Jun-14 16:25:07

jingle Yes, it's shocking, but hardly surprising under a regime that sentenced 183 Muslim Brotherhood supporters to death after a mass trial. Apparently, many other opponents of the current regime have either "disappeared", or are also awaiting execution, and there have been reports of torture being extensively used.

The UK and other countries are, I feel, partly to blame for what is happening. There was little criticism of what was in effect a military coup.

janerowena Mon 23-Jun-14 19:11:13

That explains such a lot! My nephew's girlfriend returned to Egypt last year because she was offered a job as a reporter there that was more secure than one she could get here. Then I noticed from her facebook page that she was back here, meant to ask what was going on - then in May she removed all her facebook pages, both work and personal. I bet her parents sent her back here. Unfortunately she and Dan are no longer together, now I can't be nosy and find out.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-Jun-14 19:14:29

I just hope our gopvernment does everything in their power to help them. And all the other governments of the free world.

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Jun-14 19:23:42

Yes, I agree it's shocking. Egypt was a great country and it's such a shame to see it closing in on itself. Al Jazeera provides an excellent news service. You'd think new regimes would want to use it to get their message out to the world, not gag and imprison their reporters. I wonder where it will stop.

janerowena Mon 23-Jun-14 21:30:36

I can't see that they ever reported anything that sounded biased to me. I always thought they were excellent.

Soutra Tue 24-Jun-14 08:34:07

This is appalling- we do not realise how dangerous being a journalist can be and too often take access to information for granted. What is happening in Egypt is chilling.

FlicketyB Tue 24-Jun-14 11:25:22

Of course they can get away it. They are a sovereign government elected under a dictatorship. The Egyptian government could have got away with it even more easily under the previously democratically elected government because it was democratically elected.

Governments once elected know what they can get away with and what not. Remember the Guildford Four and many other acts of injustice committed in this country, often with the full support of the public.