Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andy Coulson guilty

(57 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 24-Jun-14 16:09:29

Rebekah Brookes walks free...

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/24/andy-coulson-rebekah-brooks-phone-hacking-trial

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 20:07:34

Hope he gets a prison sentence, for all the harm he's caused.
Don't understand how the others got off. Charlie Brookes hid the computer with the information on after she had told him what was happening. That must have been an attempt to pervert the course of justice. Anyway, a jury decided otherwise.
PMQs should be interesting tomorrow.

Soutra Tue 24-Jun-14 20:12:51

Gobsmacked and not a little [angry| how on earth did she wriggle out of this?

Soutra Tue 24-Jun-14 20:13:43

angry was what I meant

Iam64 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:13:47

yes, I wonder what persuaded the jury to find R and CB not guilty. I'm not being judge and jury, honestly - just wondering.

Lilygran Tue 24-Jun-14 20:26:31

Only conclusion is that she must have been a hopelessly incompetent editor, not to know all this was going on! And why destroy all the records?

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 20:28:24

Interesting in the Guardian article. Cameron lied under oath to the Leveson enquiry.
www.hackingenuiry.org
Hacked off want as many as possible to sign their petition to get Murdoch to agree to the Leveson results. Not much chance of that, but if we sign up to it, at least he'll know the strength of feeling.

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 20:29:12

Sorry, missed out a q.
www.hackingenquiry.org

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 20:30:21

hackinginquiry.org/
This might do it.

petallus Tue 24-Jun-14 20:42:10

Well, RB does have friends in high places!

Ana Tue 24-Jun-14 20:44:21

Well, of course everyone will say that...grin
(Coulson being the 'sacrificial lamb')

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 20:45:34

Should there be an inquiry into Cameron and his lying under oath?
He's the friend Rebekah and Charlie have in high places.

Ana Tue 24-Jun-14 20:46:49

As if we didn't know...hmm

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 20:49:02

You didn't answer the question, Ana.

Ana Tue 24-Jun-14 20:52:54

Do I have to? hmm

Should there be an enquiry into Blair lying about the non-existent WMDs?

Cloud cuckoo land, durhamjen...

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 20:58:53

Yes, there should. There should be enquiries into both.
People have tried to arrest Blair. I wonder if anyone will try with Cameron.

durhamjen Tue 24-Jun-14 22:34:52

Murdoch is to be questioned under caution by the police.

thatbags Wed 25-Jun-14 08:12:47

Re the call for an enquiry into Blair's role in starting the Iraq war, I recently read an interesting article by Charles Moore in which he makes the following point:

'he did not “take us to war on the basis of a lie” – like virtually everyone in the West, pro- or anti-invasion, Mr Blair genuinely thought that Saddam did have weapons of mass destruction – he should have conceded that his famous intelligence dossiers were substandard.'

thatbags Wed 25-Jun-14 08:17:00

For those who are completely anti-Blair, here is another recent article, this one by James Delingpole.

Have to say, I thought CM's article better and more reasonable in every way.

petra Wed 25-Jun-14 08:44:16

It stinks!!! The Gaudian journalist who started all this was on Newsnight last night. He said that he had sat through the whole trail. He said that the prosecution case was very weak. Mmm, why was that then. He said that on the evidence he heard ( from the prosecution) he would have found them not guilty.
Still, all be forgotten in a couple of days, won't it.

annodomini Wed 25-Jun-14 09:14:22

The Sun's front page, shown on Newsnight last night, says its a 'Great Day for the Red Tops'. Brazen, aren't they! So Brookes has got off but not Coulson, nor a number of other journalists with still many trials to go. How does that make it a 'Great Day?'

JessM Wed 25-Jun-14 18:14:57

Bloody hell. Judge reprimands Cameron for putting out a statement before all the verdicts were in. Bad judgement piled on bad judgements.
Jury dismissed before it has delivered verdicts on all charges. Shocking. And a shocking waste of money.
It just does seem more like a Jilly Cooper novel than real life doesn't it.
RB has walked straight out of the pages - ravishing redhead from a humble background has stellar career. Once she went for intimate rides and had kitchen suppers with the highest in the land. Then she was thrown to the lions by crusty multi millionaire and was humbled in court. Then, to her amazement she's acquitted. I keep looking for the granite jawed cad with thighs of steel. But neither Cameron, Charlie nor Coulson fit the bill. Maybe Ross Kemp? .... oh no, I know, Tony!!!!!

whenim64 Wed 25-Jun-14 18:19:00

You couldn't make it up, could you? I'd like to know how David Cameron is going to explain away his sabotaging of the final stages of the trial.

Ana Wed 25-Jun-14 18:21:49

I doubt he did that on purpose. More a case of falling over himself to apologise before he was accused of not apologising soon enough...

Iam64 Wed 25-Jun-14 18:46:45

Poor old Dave grin Twice in recent times he's commented on a trial before it concludes. I was with him on Team Nigella, but what a silly boy!