Gransnet forums

News & politics

Daily Mail story

(22 Posts)
Lilygran Thu 10-Jul-14 13:33:23

Thought I'd better warn those who do not read it! This mother is said to have spent £1000 on her daughter's prom experience. Daughter is aged 11. Would you? Would your DD or DDiL? www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2687240/We-spent-1-000-daughters-primary-school-prom-Mother-gets-second-job-cleaner-pay-11-year-olds-big-night.html

MiniMouse Thu 10-Jul-14 13:47:09

There are no words . . .

ninathenana Thu 10-Jul-14 13:51:43

NO,NO, and NO !

Greenfinch Thu 10-Jul-14 14:13:03

These proms are really getting out of hand and going down and down the age range. I was really fearful that my twin grandchildren would have one on their transition from infants to junior school but instead they are only having a disco ! Bad enough !

penguinpaperback Thu 10-Jul-14 14:20:48

Oh my Lord No! And I'm quite sure DD would say likewise. Let children be children for as long as possible. I think the teen proms are way over the top too.

janthea Thu 10-Jul-14 14:34:09

Far too young for such things. They are still babies not teenagers!

merlotgran Thu 10-Jul-14 15:16:43

Primary School Proms? How ridiculous!!

janerowena Thu 10-Jul-14 15:27:26

Good heaven's, what happened to the leaver's disco? If they were lucky? Or maybe a barbecue?

janerowena Thu 10-Jul-14 15:28:09

And why has my heavens acquired an apostrophe?

numberplease Thu 10-Jul-14 15:46:53

Wonder what her two teenage brothers thought about it?

PRINTMISS Thu 10-Jul-14 15:56:26

It really is beyond a joke isn't it. Once upon a time it was just a dance at the end of your time at school/college, and so it has progressed to being something which is probably out of the reach of quite a few people. My daughter's friend has twin girls, and neither of them went to the prom because of the cost involved. I have no idea how much my daughter paid for my grand-daughter's prom, but it looked expensive.

annodomini Thu 10-Jul-14 16:30:22

Ridiculous! I know my DiL wouldn't dream of spending that much. I think DGD is having a leavers' disco or some such thing. Their head teacher is very down-to-earth and a parent herself.

Iam64 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:07:09

I'm shocked, like everyone else. My daughters had a school leavers prom, and another when they left 6th form. Both had part time jobs, and I gave them a minuscule amount (in comparison with this daft story) towards their frocks. They did each others hair, makeup and nails - in fact our house was like a beauty parlour as various pals came to get ready. My anti US prom feelings were softened by seeing these girls having such a good time. I suspect the getting ready bit was the high spot of the evening.
One of those daughters works in a primary school, area of high deprivation. They had a leavers prom for the 10 and 11 year olds. The children all travelled in hummers, the girls all had hair and nails professionally done, and the boys had suits and evidently walked and talked like mini gangsta's. It's so wrong, let them be children a bit longer.

whenim64 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:32:13

No, no, no - it's all wrong. What are we teaching our children? Materialism seems to reach higher levels of stupidity. Let's teach our children to value each other and have fun, not engage in daft events that encourage them to be consumers and competitors before they've left infancy. sad

Aka Thu 10-Jul-14 17:48:28

Agree with all the above comments. This woman has more money than sense.

MiceElf Thu 10-Jul-14 18:01:18

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the staff room tomorrow....

GillT57 Thu 10-Jul-14 18:16:45

Apart from being daft, does an 11 year old really need her hair and make up done professionally? If her Mum thought that slapping make up on a child was a good idea, couldnt she just do it herself? It isn't difficult is it? the bit that bothers me the most though is the statement from the Mother about always wanting a little girl to dress up, what is the little girl would rather do something else like her brothers? Gender stereotypes abound.

feetlebaum Thu 10-Jul-14 18:57:39

I am so very glad that nobody tried to set up anything like these 'proms' when I was at school! My idea of torture... Not that I would have gone if they had.

Another duff idea from America...

rockgran Thu 10-Jul-14 18:59:03

At a recent family party I attended I was amused to see one little girl of ten arrive in a prom type dress and another in shorts and tee shirt. Within minutes the first one had changed into shorts and tee shirt so that she could enjoy running about with the others.

Iam64 Thu 10-Jul-14 19:03:24

Great rockgran, that's what we want to hear grin

Mishap Thu 10-Jul-14 19:32:23

I am so glad that my GC are all in small rural primary schools where this sort of nonsense would absolutely not be tolerated - quite right too.

Deedaa Thu 10-Jul-14 21:40:49

I think I could almost have tolerated the dress if it hadn't been for the fake tan !!! Why would you do that to a little girl? There just seem to be so many better ways of spending £1000 on a child. Thank heavens I've only got grandsons!