poor kids

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 15-Jul-14 23:30:50

boy

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 15-Jul-14 23:32:09

rescuing birds

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 15-Jul-14 23:32:35

Just like our kids aren't they.

grannyactivist Tue 15-Jul-14 23:55:42

Yes, they are jingl - heartbreaking isn't it? A pox on all warmongers!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 08:55:31

Agreed.

ffinnochio Wed 16-Jul-14 09:05:55

Poignant links, jingle smile / sad

Oldgreymare Wed 16-Jul-14 09:51:46

So awful and so important that this carnage stops.

Penstemmon Thu 17-Jul-14 22:46:27

It is appalling. What I find disappointing is that, other than these few comments, the dreadful situation in Palestine has not stirred many GNers to comment. Unless I have missed a thread hmm

grannyactivist Thu 17-Jul-14 23:44:31

Penstemmon I know that my own feelings are of impotence, so perhaps others feel that too - the Israel/Palestine 'problem' has proved intractable for my whole life. My own sympathies are primarily with the Palestinians, but there are no winners in war and every person killed or injured is someone's child. sad

Oldgreymare Fri 18-Jul-14 09:35:03

Penstemmon I too have strong views, and have held back from displaying them on GN.
Like grannyactivist my sympathies are with the Palistinians. I
cannot get into the minds of the Israelis who, of all people, have had experience of living in a ghetto, of experiencing punishment far greater than the crime, and who now inflict such punishment.

Lona Fri 18-Jul-14 10:12:14

My best friend is of Jewish descent (although her mother wasn't) and she has lived part of her life in Israel.
I have to bite my lip a lot when she talks about the situation over there.

How anyone can justify the killing of children (or anyone for the matter) is beyond me.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 18:39:18

About time too Should have spoken out before. There is only so far you can take loyalty to your "friends". hmm angry

Penstemmon Fri 18-Jul-14 22:41:29

As you may know I am of Palestinian descent which is why I hold back as it is very hard to express feelings in a totally rational way. sad Thanks for posting it jingle

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Jul-14 22:48:47

OGM Me neither! you would think they would not do that because of their history. But the Zionist militants seem intent on inflicting their past traumas on the Palestinians. The Zionist version of the Nazi Lebensraum.

janerowena Fri 18-Jul-14 22:49:55

Yes, impotence. My father had to do national service after the war, and was sent to move Palestinians out of their homes when the Israelis were given their lands. He said he used to get back to the barracks at night and cry.

granjura Sun 27-Jul-14 12:55:39

Take time to listen- I've learnt a lot from this.

youtu.be/h9Q_8ZrYku4

jollyg Sun 27-Jul-14 13:31:46

It is totally against all humanity,

And our beloved TB the ME envoy is in UK celebrating his wifes birthday, it mid September BTW.

The scenes of destruction are beyond description.

Ban Ki Moon, UN is such a weak man as are all the other so called world associations in this matter.

They are all like TB too busy making money for themselves.

What a sad world we live in

granjura Sun 27-Jul-14 15:33:51

janerowena- this must have been awful for your dad. So many soldiers return from war, changed forever by the orders they had to obey and what they witness- and it follows them throughout life. Was he serving in the British Army? I didn't realise they were actively on the ground helping with what was nothing but ethnic cleansing. Tragic.

Iam64 Sun 27-Jul-14 17:00:00

Thanks for the links Jingle - it's heartbreaking isn't it. There have been demonstrations locally, against the bombing, and in support of the Palestinian people. Our MP is one of a number of MP's speaking out against the horrors inflicted on innocent children and their loved ones. The photographs of the destruction which are on all the front pages today shame the Israelis, in my view.

janerowena Tue 29-Jul-14 21:46:18

I found this granjura

'Only one of the Palestinian political parties was willing to limit its aims and accept the principle of territorial partition: The NATIONAL DEFENSE PARTY, led by RAGHIB AL-NASHASHIBI (mayor of Jerusalem from 1920 to 1934), was willing to accept partition in 1937 so long as the Palestinians obtained sufficient land and could merge with Transjordan to form a larger political entity. However, the British PEEL COMMISSION's plan, announced in July 1937, would have forced the Palestinians to leave the olive- and grain- growing areas of Galilee, the orange groves on the Mediterranean coast, and the urban port cities of HAIFA and ACRE. That was too great a loss for even the National Defense Party to accept, and so it joined in the general denunciations of partition.

During the PALESTINE MANDATE period the Palestinian community was 70 percent rural, 75 to 80 percent illiterate, and divided internally between town and countryside and between elite families and villagers. Despite broad support for the national aims, the Palestinians could not achieve the unity and strength necessary to withstand the combined pressure of the British forces and the Zionist movement. In fact, the political structure was decapitated in the late 1930s when the British banned the Arab Higher Committee and arrested hundreds of local politicians. When efforts were made in the 1940s to rebuild the political structure, the impetus came largely from outside, from Arab rulers who were disturbed by the deteriorating conditions in Palestine and feared their repercussions on their own newly acquired independence.

The Arab rulers gave priority to their own national considerations and provided limited diplomatic and military support to the Palestinians. The Palestinian Arabs continued to demand a state that would reflect the Arab majority's weight-diminished to 68 percent by 1947. They rejected the UNITED NATIONS (U.N.) partition plan of November 1947[click here for a map illustration], which granted the Jews statehood in 55 percent of Palestine, an area that included as many Arab residents as Jews. However, the Palestinian Arabs lacked the political strength and military force to back up their claim. Once Britain withdrew its forces in 1948 and the Jews proclaimed the state of Israel, the Arab rulers used their armed forces to protect those zones that the partition plans had ALLOCATED to the Arab state [click here for a map illustration]. By the time armistice agreements were signed in 1949, the Arab areas had shrunk to only 23 percent of Palestine. The Egyptian army held the GAZA STRIP, and Transjordanian forces dominated the hills of central Palestine. At least 726,000 of the 1.3 million Palestinian Arabs fled from the area held by Israel. Emir Abdullah subsequently annexed the zone that his army occupied, renaming it the WEST BANK.'

It was something that quite a few countries had been plotting between them, but we played a major part in policing the evictions. Yet another example of our not so glorious past being played down somewhat. The british soldiers were hated and feared as a result, my father was petrified the whole time he was there and survived several convoy attacks, one on Christmas Eve when making a forbidden pilgrimage to the site of the stable in Bethlehem. Of course they knew that it would be a huge draw for all the homesick Christian boys. Even so, my father was very firmly on the side of the displaced farmers.