Gransnet forums

News & politics

Top School

(9 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 16-Jul-14 01:37:24

Congratulations to St. Mary's C of E School in Moss Side, Manchester, which has been announced as Primary School of the Year. I cut my teeth as a social worker on this estate so I know first hand many of the difficulties of engaging with the local communities and I'm thrilled to read that the school has gained national recognition for its achievements.
Eighty per cent of pupils at the school don't speak English as their first language and the same proportion also come from very low income families. It just goes to show what can be done with inspirational leadership and a committed staff - I think teachers and pupils alike can be justly proud of themselves.
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/moss-side-primary-best-britain-7420760

MiceElf Wed 16-Jul-14 06:18:58

Well done those teachers, support staff and governors.

JessM Wed 16-Jul-14 07:21:10

Lovely picture and well done that school.
My niece lives in this area and it is very interestingly multi-ethnic with people from all around the world living together. There are parades of little shops and they tell a story. My favourite shop name The Pork Shop. Filling a niche that the halal butchers don't cater for smile
It is not amazing that there is a high proportion of English second language in this school though. It is becoming clear that children from immigrant communities are currently doing somewhat better than white working class children (a statistical average) and this is probably due to the attitude of the parents.
Spoke briefly to a lovely young man yesterday, just been to his graduation ceremony, grew up in the local indian restaurant. I said "well done" in Welsh and he replied Diolch. smile

Iam64 Wed 16-Jul-14 08:03:23

Well done that school, I lived just down the road in Whalley Range during the 70's and like granactivist, have worked in sw in that area. Great, great news.

Lilygran Wed 16-Jul-14 09:36:00

Good news about schools! Thank you, grannyactivist. Congratulations to St Mary's.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 09:49:10

That is so good. Well done the staff. That's a fantastic contribution they are making.

Well done the kids too. smile

Thanks for the link granny-a.

whenim64 Wed 16-Jul-14 10:10:17

Oh, that's great news. I worked at the local probation office, too, for three years in the 90s. A fantastic community with some really pro-active parents, teachers and community leaders wanting their kids to rise above the reputation that had been acquired because of gang rivalry.

Mishap Wed 16-Jul-14 10:19:24

Wonderful news.

grannyactivist Wed 16-Jul-14 14:30:22

Oops, my apologies - I should also have mentioned the school governors - no school does that well without a sterling group of them beavering away in the background.