Gransnet forums

News & politics

Overheard in Waitrose!

(67 Posts)
whenim64 Thu 24-Jul-14 20:29:55

This is funny. Apparently there's a Facebook page full of these comments. I want to know whether the woman overheard in the nearby Wilmslow Waitrose was a Gransnetter. grin

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2703863/Don-t-rummage-reduced-bin-golf-club-Hilarious-quotes-Waitrose-shoppers-collected-Facebook-page.html

kittylester Thu 24-Jul-14 20:46:51

I've seen this on fb when - it really made me smile!!

Lona Thu 24-Jul-14 20:53:04

Well, it definitely wasn't me when, as I don't play golf and I don't thank goodness have a husband! grin

Actually, I take great delight in using my Lidl and Aldi carrier bags when I shop in Waitrose, just so they know I'm not easy!

whenim64 Thu 24-Jul-14 21:01:06

I do, too, Lona. Anything will do. I love Waitrose as much as Aldi, but I do have to stop myself giggling when I hear pretentious comments like those.

Nelliemoser Thu 24-Jul-14 21:18:25

I was having a meal with my DD her mother in law and my Dgs. We women were talking about supermarkets. Toddler was repeating the names of supermarkets. Morrison's, Aldi Asda etc, so I tried hard to get him to say Waitrose just to show we were up market. He wasn't having any of that. He clearly has no pretensions. wink

Ana Thu 24-Jul-14 21:21:02

No Waitrose anywhere near me, thank goodness! grin

thatbags Thu 24-Jul-14 21:29:14

Be careful of inverted snobbery, ana wink

Penstemmon Thu 24-Jul-14 21:52:33

I go to Waitrose..it is nearest to me and smaller than the almost equally nearby Sainsbury. If it's speediness I need then I go to Waitrose, if it's saving a bit of cash it is a trip to Sainsbury. For work I sometimes go to a school opposite a Lidl and I always pop in for some tasty bargains. For many years I shopped in Tesco as it was the nearest.

I also use the independent butchers/fishmonger/greengrocer in town.

Occasionally I make silly remarks hopefully not as awful as some of the ones on the list..never sure what shop I am in! grin

Ana Thu 24-Jul-14 21:56:03

I can hardly be snobbish, inverted or otherwise, about Waitrose as I've never been in one! Bring back Macfisheries, is what I say...smile

janerowena Thu 24-Jul-14 22:00:27

Definitely, I was devastated when they closed down in Maidstone at the same time as our only independent fish shop. If you wanted fresh fish you had to drive to Hastings.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Jul-14 22:01:16

#blastfromthepast! grin

Charleygirl Thu 24-Jul-14 22:08:51

Waitrose is my closest and I love shopping there but I have just finished a largish online shop to Sainsbury. I know that I do not make similar remarks but the ones I read were funny.

Stansgran Thu 24-Jul-14 22:16:33

I'd love to make a memorable remark but I'm too ordinary. Waitrose closed down in Durham because Durham likes cheap. DH thinks giving me a treat is taking me to the Waitrose in Hexham. It's really the meal out on the way back but I don't disabuse him of that idea.

Lona Thu 24-Jul-14 22:24:06

Parking at Waitrose is free for two hours which is very handy, but I also buy my special milks and gf bread there.
I do like a rummage in the reduced section, and don't forget 8 choc ices for £1!

annodomini Thu 24-Jul-14 22:45:09

It's my corner shop. I don't think they're quite as pretentious here as they might be where you live, Lona! I usually buy bread from the reduced bins, mainly at the end of the week. Yesterday I was looking for fishcakes and found some at the end of their 'display by' period and substantially reduced.

whenim64 Thu 24-Jul-14 22:46:42

It's about the only space you can park your car in Wilmslow, isn't it Lona? I seem to spend my time driving round in circles looking for a spot, then give up the ghost and go to Waitrose. The local retail park with Aldi and Home Bargains is much more accessible these days grin

Anne58 Thu 24-Jul-14 22:47:32

My shopping seems to be divided between Waitrose and Lidl, with the odd provisions purchase from the village shop.

Nelliemoser Thu 24-Jul-14 23:22:44

I think Waitrose is a bit nearer to me than the ASDA I go to most often, but I use Asda most of all. I am not interested in appearing to be posh.

Lona Fri 25-Jul-14 08:42:04

when Parking doesn't really bother me as I usually walk into Wilmslow and do main shop at Lidl.

suebailey1 Fri 25-Jul-14 09:11:29

I think they are lovely comments - don't we love laughing at pretentiousness. My opposite of this occurred on Holiday in Tenerife in February this year. We were waiting in a queue for the bus when two well heeled couples joined us in the queue and began a conversation between them about their lovely villas in which they usually spent all winter, their fabulous homes in England etc etc etc. They both had multiple bags from the local supermarket but began a conversation about how much they loooovved Aldi. Eventually one of the ladies, large designer handbag, Ray Bans, Tod loafers began to wax lyrical about Aldi Chicken Kiev- 'you know the frozen one. We only have one and share it - its plenty' she said. Perhaps if I didn't have large food bills through feeding us enough fresh food to keep more than a sparrow alive we would have a Villa in the sun as well. LOL smile.

whenim64 Fri 25-Jul-14 09:20:52

She's probably right - someoof the portions in packaged food are far too big for one these days. I do an inline shop at Waitrose whenever they email me a voucher for £10 off my shopping. It works out cheaper than Tesco.

My nephew was in Waitrose yesterday and says all he could hear was customers cracking 'pretentious' jokes in the hope they'd be overheard grin

petra Fri 25-Jul-14 16:59:38

I always call Waitrose The Stepford Wives supermarket. For those of you who have seen the film it's the scene where the wives have been turned into Androids. They are all in the supermarket, full makeup, beautifully dressed and smiling sweetly. On meeting another android, the searing smile is turned on and they comment on the others purchases.
That's what our Waitrose is like. You just couldn't 'pop in there'

Penstemmon Fri 25-Jul-14 17:32:49

Gosh! Ours is not lime that.. all and sundry in the one here..once saw a girl in her onsie and teddy slippers..when I say girl she was too old for school!

merlotgran Fri 25-Jul-14 17:40:41

In our town there are more middle class parents of privately educated children in Aldi than Waitrose. grin

annodomini Fri 25-Jul-14 17:40:53

I frequently 'pop in' to our Waitrose. I did just that this afternoon and found a few reduced items that I didn't know I wanted! I often run into people I know from U3A or NWR and have a chat - but not about our posh houses or Mediterranean villas: more likely a bit of local gossip. And you should see the queues after the monthly U3A meeting, as Waitrose shares the Civic Centre car park.