Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rocky the Cat is Given an ASBO

(4 Posts)
HollyDaze Sun 27-Jul-14 16:46:04

Rocky the fearsome feline has been slapped with an ‘animal ASBO’ - after biting people and squatting in neighbours’ homes.

The fearsome feline faced antisocial action after scratching an outside fence, biting two people and entering residents’ homes and refusing to leave.

Owner Samantha Davies has been told by Rotherham Borough Council to keep her four-year-old pet indoors after her local authority received verbal and formal complaints.

Samantha, 35, said the council action has been ‘ridiculous’. She said: 'Even if Rocky did do these things, it’s hardly what you’d deem to be antisocial behaviour.

'But where’s the proof? I haven’t seen a shred of proof that any of this even happened. I think the council need to concentrate on doing their job properly instead of following up rubbish like this.

Samantha’s next-door neighbour, David Willoughby, 65, said: 'He comes over to our house quite a bit, but we don’t have a problem with him. 'He did bite me once, but that was because he got stuck and was frightened. Sam was very apologetic about it afterwards and I didn’t have a problem.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fearsome-feline-rocky-given--cat-asbo--for-biting-and-refusing-to-leave-neighbours--homes-144221270.html#w7lUVLv

Do you think the council have overreacted or do you think they were right to take the concerns of neighbours seriously?

Ana Sun 27-Jul-14 16:55:12

I didn't think cat owners could be held responsible for the behaviour of their feline pets!

Charleygirl Sun 27-Jul-14 17:02:39

Correct Ana

HollyDaze Sun 27-Jul-14 20:08:48

Cat owners should be held responsible for their pets - I don't see why they should be treated any differently to other pet owners.

Cats are regarded rather differently to dogs under the law, as they are considered to have the 'right to roam,' which means that they are not expected to be restrained or managed at all times when outside of your home or property. However, you do still have a duty of care to take all reasonable measures to ensure that your cat does not damage another person's property or cause injury.

The Environmental Protection Act of 1990 also makes provision to intervene in cases where cats cause significant nuisance in their local area in terms of noise, fouling gardens, and smells.

www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/your-pets-and-the-law.html

My daughter had a problem with a tomcat coming into her house and spraying everywhere; the smell was appalling. Speaking to the owner achieved nothing (just the usual: cats go where they please) - can you imagine if it had been a dog going into their house and peeing.