Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Ruffley MP steps down ( but not til next year)

(8 Posts)
GrannyTwice Mon 28-Jul-14 21:25:43

www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/28/suffolk-conservatives-divided-mp-david-ruffley-assault

Interesting difference of opinions amongst Suffolk Conservatives re the definition of domestic violence

absent Mon 28-Jul-14 22:22:39

I love it. It was behind closed doors so no one apart from the two people involved really knows what went on but she was probably equally to blame. George Orwell where are you when we need you?

GrannyTwice Mon 28-Jul-14 22:34:23

Love the bit about only 'minority feminist groups' and the opposition thinking it was domestic violence. Gove is sorry to see him go...... confused

Iam64 Tue 29-Jul-14 13:34:07

You gotta laugh (not) angry

sunseeker Tue 29-Jul-14 14:03:57

I haven't been following this story so don't know exactly what happened, but, if as mentioned in the letter from the Dean of Edmundsbury Cathedral, the ex partner was "wincing in pain" then I would suggest the assault was severe. Surely we don't want someone in public office who is unable to control his anger.

Elegran Tue 29-Jul-14 14:40:59

Perhaps the local association chirman could clarify exactly what he does class as domestic abuse. He could stand still while a woman hits him repeatedly with increasing force and rate each blow with points out of ten. After the demonstration, those places where no mark had been left could be downgraded - clearly they could not have been as painful as he said if they left no trace.

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 14:53:02

order-order.com/2014/07/29/tories-tipped-that-ruffley-row-was-about-to-go-very-public/

Well there you go - still I expect things will get better now we've got some lookers with legs more women in the cabinet

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 14:57:08

And , recently we had a discussion somewhere about women only short lists etc - this constituency is one example of why women so often find it hard to get selected as candidates. It's true across all parties - the power of reactionary old men the officers in the local party will often weigh against the selection if women unless things like all women lists are brought in