Gransnet forums

News & politics

Driverless cars

(19 Posts)
henetha Wed 30-Jul-14 15:17:39

I see on the news today that driverless cars will soon be on our roads.
Honestly, the very thought is terrifying! And anyway the whole idea seems utterly pointless to me. What are we supposed to do? Send our car out for a little drive on their own so they don't get bored?
Seriously though, I suppose the idea is that we sit there using our ipads or reading a book while the car drives us to work/shopping/etc. But I'm sure I couldn't resist grabbing the steering wheel at every junction/traffic light/ little old lady approaching/ etc.
Are driverless cars meant to be safer than us humans? That is the whole point I suppose. But it's hard to believe, isn't it, that something won't go wrong while no-one is in control... result, chaos!
Maybe I'm missing something here.

Charleygirl Wed 30-Jul-14 15:24:29

I can still legally drive but I am slowly losing my sight. I was hoping when that did happen that the car would take me from A to B and I would not have to worry.

thatbags Wed 30-Jul-14 15:33:21

The ones going onto roads soon are experimental/test vehicles. When the design is perfected (or as near as damnit), I'd certainly use one except that they will probably be too expensive for some time to come.

henetha Wed 30-Jul-14 15:35:10

Oh, that is a good point Charleygirl. Yes, I can understand that it would be wonderful for people losing their sight. I am so sorry to hear you are and hope therefore that a driverless car will be really helpful for you in the future.
A far distant future, I hope. Best wishes to you.
Hen.

henetha Wed 30-Jul-14 15:38:23

I honestly cannot imagine myself sitting there calmly.....and anyway I love driving.
And yes, they will be dreadfully expensive I bet. (so they should be heavily subsidised for people losing their sight).

Galen Wed 30-Jul-14 15:52:01

Couldn't stand not bong in control. I don't even use the cruise control

merlotgran Wed 30-Jul-14 16:16:48

Oh No!! If DH gets his hands on a driverless car I'll never keep him out of the pub shock

Ana Wed 30-Jul-14 16:30:22

Now there's a point. Perhaps they'll help revive the dying pub trade!

Elegran Wed 30-Jul-14 16:34:03

I bet it will mean the roads all being dug up again to install the guidance systems. Edinburgh is only just back to ?normal? after the tram installation, I hope they don't volunteer to be one of the three to be chosen to test them.

HollyDaze Wed 30-Jul-14 17:46:50

For some people, I think they are an excellent idea - you know the ones I mean: those who think they can drive as they please and to heck with everyone else!

I would feel nervous of being in a driverless car - think of how computers break down, Sky boxes go on the blink, what if it got a bug and went out of control shock. When I think of people following their SatNavs straight into rivers and fields, it makes me shudder to think of tons of metal under the same type of influence.

Then again, I could just be too old to get with the technical age blush

Charleygirl Wed 30-Jul-14 18:03:37

Although it maybe a driverless car, I am sure that one person in it must have a valid licence in case technology does pack up temporarily. Provision will surely be made for the driver to take over.

The cost, as somebody mentioned. would be prohibitive. I doubt if I will be able to afford one in my lifetime.

There will be no more "doing the ton on the M1".

Iam64 Wed 30-Jul-14 18:45:30

No,no,no, I'd be terrified

kittylester Wed 30-Jul-14 19:16:41

I'd hate not to be in charge too, but for DS1, who could drive before his stroke, it would be a godsend. He might even be able to get a job as he wouldn't be exhausted by the effort of getting to a workplace! His spatial awareness was the reason for being refused a licence but that wouldn't matter in a driverless car. Bring them on, I say!! smile

newist Wed 30-Jul-14 19:45:12

My OH and I have just been talking about how these cars would work on a single track road, how will the technology work as to which car will pull in on passing places, it would be chaos and dangerous.

Purpledaffodil Wed 30-Jul-14 19:48:03

Good point kittylester. Mr Purple has been unable to drive for the last year due to Stroke 4 last May and then a nasty seizure in September. He is due to have a thorough sight check in September, so I am hoping he will be able to drive again as he is a terrible passenger. However on the news this am they said that a driving licence would still be required, so that would rule out people with strokes, epilepsy etc. Maybe in the distant future? Sad for your son though.sad

rosequartz Wed 30-Jul-14 20:18:13

I hate it when DH uses cruise control on his car, so a driverless car would fill me with terror. Perhaps I just like being in control.

merlotgran Wed 30-Jul-14 21:17:24

I won't use cruise control after a colleague was nearly killed when a couple of stupid kids chucked a lump of concrete off a motorway bridge. He was knocked unconscious but his car carried on and crashed into a concrete bollard.

I remember feeling a bit uneasy the first time I boarded the driverless train at Stansted Airport.

Charleygirl Wed 30-Jul-14 21:41:39

Purpledaffodil as far as I am aware, your DH must be free from having an epileptic fit for I think 6 months before he is allowed to drive again. I have no idea about strokes. Good luck.

Purpledaffodil Wed 30-Jul-14 22:38:46

Thanks Charleygirl. Sadly we have been down this route before as he had a stroke and post stroke fit seven years ago. He has to be fit free for a year, which is up in September, this is providing that he passes the field of vision test. His last stroke was in the occipital lobe which affects eyesight, but we are hopeful that his vision has recovered enough. Time will tell. sad