Gransnet forums

News & politics

actor Robin Williams possible suicide

(67 Posts)
POGS Tue 12-Aug-14 00:22:52

I am so saddened by this news. Robin Williams was 63 and and 'it is being reported' he has committed suicide.

I think he was one of the best actors and a very fuuny man.

I always consider Good Morning Vietnam and the Fisher King as two of his best films.

Such a tragedy, he was so versatile and I should imagine loved by many people and many will be genuinely shocked and I think he will be greatly missed.

rubylady Tue 12-Aug-14 06:23:00

On reading your post, I googled this very sad news.

It is unbelievable, but yes, apparently died by asphyxia. Very upsetting, he was a wonderful man, very funny. My memories are of Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire, films my children have grown up with. And of course, Mork and Mindy when I was a kid. Nanu Nanu. I have adored him ever since.

He suffered from depression, alcoholism and drugs in his lifetime but he had a golden heart, even with the pig valve. He had the heart operation I am to have so he was my "go to" that he had survived and gone onto have a good life. I don't usually cry over Hollywood stars but Mr. Williams was in no way of the "normal" catagory, thank goodness.

R. I. P. Robin, goodnight, God bless. Xxx

Aka Tue 12-Aug-14 06:41:55

sad

whenim64 Tue 12-Aug-14 07:15:35

What sad news to wake up to. sad

Grannyknot Tue 12-Aug-14 07:26:52

Addiction, eh. Takes no prisoners. (He struggled with addiction since the Saturday Night Live days).

thatbags Tue 12-Aug-14 07:43:59

Thank you for those words, gknot. It wouldn't surprise me at all to discover that addictions can cause depression. Poor man.

Grannyknot Tue 12-Aug-14 08:15:25

... and the reverse too (as people with depression self-medicate to the point of dependency) sad

rockgran Tue 12-Aug-14 08:18:38

I was shocked to read this - such a sad waste. Poor man, ...and I feel for his family.

sunseeker Tue 12-Aug-14 08:20:22

Very sad news, I didn't like everything he did but there was no doubt that he gave 100% in everything he did

shysal Tue 12-Aug-14 08:32:57

I echo sunseeker's words. sad

feetlebaum Tue 12-Aug-14 08:33:29

Oh... shazbat!

His work was wonderfully manic - and the flip-side of that is, of course, depression...

Sad.

PRINTMISS Tue 12-Aug-14 08:35:44

The life of the 'stars' always seems to be so happy and care-free, but we now so often see the results of 'stardom'. It is not so much the getting there, as staying there, isn't it, and such a pity, when so many of them are very talented but have to have that little extra to see them through, which then becomes the addiction. I have always thought that coming off stage to tremendous applause, (or winning an Oscar for a film) then winding down from that euphoria must be a really difficult thing to do.

Iam64 Tue 12-Aug-14 08:44:46

So many of the folks who make us laugh seem to struggle with anxiety, depression, addiction or other mental health problems. The pressures that come with fame must be difficult to manage.

ffinnochio Tue 12-Aug-14 09:05:51

It's not fame that causes addiction, anxiety, depression. It just seems that way because fame is newsworthy.

Perhaps seeking fame is one way of avoiding one's own reality.

hildajenniJ Tue 12-Aug-14 09:06:46

Depression is a pernicious disease, it overtakes the whole person to such an extent that they feel totally worthless and lost. While doing my RMN training a staff nurse asked me which, of all mental health issues I would be most afraid of having, I answered her with depression. So sad that Robin Williams could see no way out of that black hole which had swallowed him. R.I.P sad

Grannyknot Tue 12-Aug-14 09:17:20

ffinochio but isn't it so that some career choices carry a higher risk of succumbing to addiction, anxiety, depression? I remember in a conference once listening to an addictions psychiatrist talk on that very subject, I think it was entitled The Butcher, The Baker, etc.

Certain stressful jobs do carry a higher risk - clinicians for one, air traffic controllers, police officers, and others.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Aug-14 09:20:58

It's very sad. Poor man.

whenim64 Tue 12-Aug-14 09:31:37

Your insightful comment rings very true, ffinocchio. So many people escape into a life that will distract them from what has made them depressed. I guess there'll be the inevitable media speculation about what made him depressed. A very sad time for his family and friends.

ffinnochio Tue 12-Aug-14 09:44:22

Yes, agreed gk . It's not just fame. Yet the self-medicating that often goes along with stressful jobs can mask underlying issues of mental health that have always been there. Not always, but often enough. Usually dominant in the helping professions.

It is a bit chicken-and-egg though.

Agus Tue 12-Aug-14 09:48:14

sad

Grannyknot Tue 12-Aug-14 09:54:09

...I never thought of it till now, but in a way, comedy or choosing to make people laugh is also a "helping profession".

Very sad - my children loved Robin Williams.

merlotgran Tue 12-Aug-14 10:01:42

Very sad. A very funny man. sad

henetha Tue 12-Aug-14 10:14:27

What a lovely man Robin Williams was, and so beloved by millions.
I am really sad that he has apparently taken his own life. Fame and fortune are no protection against depression and demons, are they

glammanana Tue 12-Aug-14 11:00:07

What sad news such a great actor. sad

KatyK Tue 12-Aug-14 11:01:38

Poor man and his poor family. sad Depression is a truly terrible thing, whether addiction causes it or it causes addiction. I would imagine he had the best possible care and best possible medication so it can only be imagined how bad he felt if this didn't help him. An actor friend of his has said 'I met him as a fan when I was 13 and he was so kind. I have watched him being kind to fans ever since.' Behind the painted smile......