Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cat's Heads

(16 Posts)
suebailey1 Mon 18-Aug-14 13:26:21

The Independent reports today that a bin bag full of cat's heads has been found near Manchester's curry mile.

rosesarered Mon 18-Aug-14 14:05:01

hmm

rosesarered Mon 18-Aug-14 14:06:02

I don't say this isn't true, but take some things with a pinch of salt [even cat curry.]

whenim64 Mon 18-Aug-14 14:10:47

There have been reports of pet cats going missing all around the Manchester area, sadly for their pelts to be used for fashion. I had yet another Facebook message just a couple of weeks ago. A neighbour here in South Manchester had a beautiful cat with white and grey fur which has been missing for about four months. It's a nasty trade in animals which doesn't get much publicity.

rosesarered Mon 18-Aug-14 14:17:01

Pet cats go missing all the time! When I lived in a small village in Devon several pet cats went missing, nothing to do with the fashion trade or Indian takeaways though.Run off, run over and foxes.You would have to have hundreds of cats go missing in an area to prove anything sinister was going on. If the bag of cats heads report is true however , then certainly they are going somewhere, or there is somebody with a cat grudge.This still doesn't mean that every missing Tiddles ends up this way.

ninathenana Mon 18-Aug-14 15:16:01

It has been reported in other papers too.

suebailey1 Mon 18-Aug-14 17:18:45

Witchcraft? Devil worship? Aphrodisiac trade?

ninathenana Tue 19-Aug-14 12:39:01

The worst possible scenario.........cat curry shock urgh !

sunseeker Tue 19-Aug-14 13:10:40

I knew there was a reason I don't like Indian food grin

Iam64 Tue 19-Aug-14 13:33:40

Ok folks, for me that's enough about cat curry.

I suspect that Wheni'm 64 is correct in her assumption that the cats were killed for their fur. The food on the curry mile is usually excellent, due to the quality of the ingredients used.

whenim64 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:24:51

Pedigree cat theft is in the increase - many will be sold illegally, some kept by the thief, some traded for their pelts. The US has legislation covering trade in fur products which get DNA tested, but the UK lags behind, especially with fashion items and fluffy toys sold as souvenirs, most of which are rabbit. China is the major exporter of cat fur products but several other countries are also involved and the UK is included. I thought about putting a link to a video about cats being traded but it's too disgusting to watch.

The bin bag of cats' heads could have been planted as a malicious act.

whenim64 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:26:29

London and the North-West of a England are the main hotspots for cat thefts.

nigglynellie Tue 19-Aug-14 15:32:38

I could hardly bear to read this as the connotations are just horrible. As a family we all love cats and the thought of this happening to any ones beloved pet or even a stray is just vile. We have just had the unenviable job of telling our 11 year old granddaughter that her kitten/cat got killed on the road outside our house while staying with us when they were on holiday. To say there have been plenty of tears is putting it mildly, but luckily no recriminations. At least we know what happened to little Ruby awful though it was, so much worse wondering what had befallen her.

rosesarered Tue 19-Aug-14 16:43:29

Glad we don't live in the North West or London then. Never eat curry anyway.Who knows what rubbish are in take-aways.

whenim64 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:11:11

Most of the restaurants on the Curry Mile don't do takeaways and some you can watch your food being cooked. They're really nice places, some fine dining, too. Fabulous food.

susieb755 Tue 19-Aug-14 22:09:29

Two of my cats went missing, and I searched everywhere - they were eventually found in a house by environmental health, where a lady had been stealing and hoarding cats. They were in a dreadful state, with dead cats and kittens also present, sadly they were thought too wild and distressed to bring back home, and lived their lives out at a very nice cat sanctuary semi feral