Gransnet forums

News & politics

Your not newsworthy Mr Paxman

(15 Posts)
Kiora Tue 19-Aug-14 17:54:20

I thought I'd find a post discussing this so if i'v missed it I apologise. But I think Jeremy Paxman got a bloody blooming cheek being so derogatory about what he calls the elderly during his stand up show at the Edinburgh fringe. It might be all a bit tongue in cheek and I don't mind a joke..even at my expense but has he looked in the mirror lately? He's no spring chicken himself. Apparently he thinks there are "too many old people living at the tax payers expense, cluttering up the place and they should be shoved off to dignitas clinics. I rather think there was a bit too much of my television licence fee paying his whopping pension/ wages/ salary and if he feels so strongly he should put it back into the public purse and live on his savings until his own state pension kicks in at 65 or perhaps he'll put his money were his mouth is at put that back into the state coffers too. After all he wouldn't like to be a drain on society. Shall we have a collection to send him to Switzerland. angry

Ana Tue 19-Aug-14 17:57:59

Another subject I can't get worked up about...I must be getting old! confused

Eloethan Tue 19-Aug-14 18:01:23

I presume he was trying to be ironic - as you say, he's no spring chicken himself.

Soutra Tue 19-Aug-14 18:31:40

Did you see his show yourself?

Mishap Tue 19-Aug-14 18:38:34

Has to have been ironic - I am no fan, but he is too intelligent to have meant this.

henetha Tue 19-Aug-14 18:47:02

It's the Edinburgh fringe. Don't take it too seriously.

rosequartz Tue 19-Aug-14 23:00:21

He probably thinks he is being hilarious, but perhaps he should have stuck to what he was better at.

At 64 perhaps he would like to start the queue. Yawn. Whatever.

rubysong Tue 19-Aug-14 23:40:37

Can anyone tell me what it is he is better at? I can't think of anything and certainly wouldn't go to see him doing stand up (which is supposed to be amusing).

rosequartz Tue 19-Aug-14 23:56:22

Being nasty, wasn't it?

Oh! No change there then, ruby grin

Soutra Wed 20-Aug-14 00:01:27

His TV series on WW I was excellent, the bok on which itceas based was also well researched and well written andhaving heard him speak at Althorp Literary Festival, he is also an articulate and entertaining speaker.
His show at the Fringe is a bit of light hearted tosh but I have yet to read a cimnent from anybody who clsims to have actually seen it.

henetha Wed 20-Aug-14 16:03:48

He was the only presenter who actually made me want to watch Newsnight. It's boring without him.

janerowena Wed 20-Aug-14 22:54:39

kiora I just looked it up, and he says that we could do with having a Dignitas clinic on every street corner. Well - I think he's right. I would love to have that option! If he feels as I do, he probably thinks it would do us all a favour! I am watching so many of my friends and family struggle with cancers and heart disease and alzheimers, I don't want to do that to my family. It tears families apart. One of my sisters is already saying that she won't help to nurse my mother.

Well you know what - I wish my mother would say, forget the inheritance, there won't be any left either for you or the nursing home at £1000 a week, I am going to spend it all in Switzerland while I do still have some dignity.

durhamjen Thu 21-Aug-14 00:55:14

From what I read, it was the first fringe show to be sold out, which actually was newsworthy. He had some interesting things to say about homelessness and religion, not all of which I agree with.
He also said that if you give people a chance they will be nice, so you could give him a chance, Kiora.

durhamjen Thu 21-Aug-14 11:15:16

An interesting bit of research about Dignitas.
www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/11046232/Nearly-quarter-of-suicide-cases-at-Dignitas-are-Brits.html

janerowena Thu 21-Aug-14 17:54:31

Yes, very interesting. I do think that the thought of the long journey must be very offputting - that's if you are allowed by an airline to make the journey in the first place. To pay for special staffing to assist on a plane costs a fortune, and so being allowed to die without pain and with dignity becomes yet another luxury for only the very rich.