Gransnet forums

News & politics

Valerie Trierweiler's Memoir

(6 Posts)
petallus Sat 06-Sep-14 12:15:53

I am not particularly in favour of kiss and tell but does anybody else think it's a bit much that Trierweiler has attracted such total approbation for publishing her memoir whereas Hollande went completely without criticism for his actions in getting rid of her for a new mistress?

petallus Sat 06-Sep-14 12:45:15

NOT APPROBATION, totally wrong word. I meant censure.

petallus Sat 06-Sep-14 12:48:04

Or even opprobrium.

FlicketyB Sat 06-Sep-14 13:03:32

Frankly I think they deserved each other. Anyway Hollande is getting so much stick from so many others because he has the lowest approval level ever known for an incumbent of office and the French economy is going to hell in a hand basket that I doubt anyone would notice whether or not if he was getting any opprobrium for cheating on his partner.

Bear in mind their affair started when he was still with Segolene Royal (to whom he was also not married). Hollande had a track record when she took him on. What did she expect?

She has chosen to behave in a way that may be familiar to us Brits but goes right against French culture, not just telling her story but including plenty of salacious and intimate details. As I said I think they deserve each other.

Mamie Sat 06-Sep-14 14:02:50

I don't think it is true to say that he went without censure. Maybe more for bringing the office of President into disrepute than for the affair itself, but people have very little sympathy for her, for the reasons that Flickety gave. There was plenty of discussion in the press and my neighbours had lots to say on the subject!

Soutra Sat 06-Sep-14 21:40:41

I also agree they deserved each other - rather like Chris Huehne and Vicky Price!
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!!
Just pray GNHQ doesn't decide to make it a book of the month!! (I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!)