Gransnet forums

News & politics

YOUGOV polls - what is your experience?

(3 Posts)
JessM Thu 11-Sep-14 07:44:05

I joined up to YouGov a few weeks ago. If you remember they are an online polling organisation that conduct market research for whoever pays them.
YouGov gather demographic and other info about volunteers who sign up e.g. age, house ownership, postcode.
The idea of such research is either: they poll a particular group (e.g. home owners) or a "representative sample" (equal numbers of men and women) or a sample that represents the population.
Concerned about whether YouGov members as a group are representative of the population (you need to sign up, you need to have a computer etc).

I am also bemused by some of the question design. I had one last night about memory. One of the questions was about "which of these numbers do you always remember" (or was it never forget... anyway) . List included NI number, emergency services number, and a list of phone numbers. Including "dad's" " mum's" and "best friend". Smacked of a question designed, badly, by a first year university student. I pointed out in the comments that as "my dad" died nearly 60 years ago, he never had a phone number. hmm
Any other members members of YouGov - and how convinced are you by their output?

thatbags Thu 11-Sep-14 07:47:32

I did YouGov polls for a while but, like you jess, I thought some of the questions badly framed. The polls themselves got very repetitive — kept getting ones containing questions I'd answered several times before. It got rather boring, with loads of polls about stuff I'm not very interested in, so I quit.

janerowena Thu 11-Sep-14 12:47:47

I belong, and have done them for years - it all depends on what you put down as your interests. I had science and politics as some of mine, so my questions, it appeared, are better phrased than those set by people who said they were interested in films and computer games (as a male friend of mine informed me). By comparing notes with friends, I think we are selected to answer polls set by hugely varying companies.

My biggest gripe with them is that as soon as I start to near my £50 fee, the polls they send me suddenly start to drop off in number. From getting two a week, I haven't had a single one this month.