Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russell Brand

(78 Posts)
thatbags Thu 11-Sep-14 15:20:41

I find this article, the first half of which is about Russell Brand's attitudes, very funny. I lost interest during the second half as I don't watch Newsnight anyway, but what the journo says about RB matches the sort of thing that has gone through my head when I've heard RB spouting. Except this is much wittier. Enjoy smile

TriciaF Thu 11-Sep-14 16:35:13

Spot on about RB - I like Rod Liddle's articles - he writes in the Sunday Times too . (Which I buy here at an exorbitant price but you've got to keep in touch!)
Also about football which I don't read.

petallus Thu 11-Sep-14 18:05:50

I only recently came across Rod Liddle in (I think) The Telegraph. Very witty and pleasingly irreverent writer.

Deedaa Thu 11-Sep-14 23:44:22

grin grin grin

janeainsworth Fri 12-Sep-14 03:08:25

The second part was very good too Bags. I liked this paragraph particularly:
"It was undoubtedly the case that under New Labour, ministers were loth to deviate from their scripts and disdained to answer questions directly, instead repeating the same old rubbish endlessly, often in a stream of weird non-sequiturs, as if they were contestants in a special version of Just A Minute for the educationally challenged. The then Chancellor, Gordon Brown, was especially adept at this approach."
grin

NfkDumpling Fri 12-Sep-14 07:38:05

Russell Brand - Newsnight? Really? It's a joke, yes?

Nancyb Fri 12-Sep-14 08:06:30

NfkDumpling why is it a joke, lets look at the past and what the government has achieved..NHS cuts Education Cuts MP'S taking advantage of their positions and useing government money to purchase houses for themselves, so called "Educated people" stealing,scandal after scandal

Not even Russell Brand could top that!!

He happens to be a genuine person that Actual Does Care.

gillybob Fri 12-Sep-14 08:07:09

I can't stand him (RB) or his croney Jonathon Woss.

Nancyb Fri 12-Sep-14 08:14:38

I would vote for him because he truly wants to make a difference for the better and does have peoples best interest at heart, how many present MP'S can we say that about, out of all present MP's, 2 maybe three.

thatbags Fri 12-Sep-14 08:16:42

He's a typical capitalist millionaire hypocrite and an anarchist. Anyone who says there's no point in voting in a democracy is saying something very foolish and simplistic. He's a middle-aged teenage rebel. Isn't it time he grew up?

GrannyTwice Fri 12-Sep-14 08:23:06

And got some trousers that leave something to the imagination. blush

Nancyb Fri 12-Sep-14 08:35:20

To be honest I do not know too much about Politics, and not exactly sure of all of RB's views, but in my opinion MP's are mostly hypocrites and I have no confidence in any present MP and so for me it can not get much worse.

gillybob Fri 12-Sep-14 08:38:14

Totally agree with you there thatbags

Nancyb Fri 12-Sep-14 08:38:51

thatbags you called RB a capitalist, you obviosly have not yet heard the news that the present government wish to privatise The NHS The Post Office and the list goes on.

Nancyb Fri 12-Sep-14 08:41:25

Whats wrong with being simplistic? and whats wrong with being a millionaire.

GrannyTwice Fri 12-Sep-14 08:42:28

I think what we have to ask ourselves is how are MPs selected in the first place and there are two main aspects to this. First of all, how they become candidates and secondly, the actual voting system. I think there are some good, hardworking MPs who sadly have been tarred with the brush of others. I'm impressed with Sarah Woolston(?) who was chosen as a candidate via the open primary system - she's bright, intelligent, hard working, independent minded and willing to challenge her leader. Wonder why DC has dropped the use of primaries?

TerriBull Fri 12-Sep-14 08:55:56

I really like Rod Liddle always read his column in the Sunday Times which makes me chortle, he such a great piss taker. I also recently bought his book, "Selfish Whining Monkeys", part of husband's birthday present, we have it by the side of the bed and he was reading bits out of it to me earlier.

Once upon a time I liked Russell Brand before he became the household name he is today. Now I can't stand him he's turned into a pretentious tosser, particularly when he is on a serious forum such as Question Time or Newsnight and if the producer of that thinks people will tune into listen to RB's musings in that stupid infantile voice, he's barking up the wrong tree, as RL said you might as well stick Joey (can't tell the time yet) Essex on.

Yes agree with you Bags, about time he grew up, don't know how Jemima Khan could work back from someone like Imran to RB, serious regression going on there!

thatbags Fri 12-Sep-14 09:05:56

Haha! Thank you terribull! Pretentionus tosser is what I meant by simplistic millionnaire capitalist. In short, nancyb, I don't believe he is really sincere. For a start, why would someone who despises democracy want to be an MP in an admittedly imperfect democratic parliament?

Elegran Fri 12-Sep-14 09:21:31

Did he have the tongue stud in when he was on Newsnight? I can never understand what he is saying (or Jonathon Woss either) and I can never forgive them for their gross taunting of "Manuel". Pretentious tosser indeed.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Sep-14 09:29:19

I thought it was a very odd article. Because it wasn't about Russell Brand at all. It was knocking Ian Katz. Did Rod Liddle covet the Newsnight job?

I think he used the Russell Brand thing to grab attention.

A new editor to a programme is bound to have a different strategy. Wait and see how it pans out.

petallus Fri 12-Sep-14 09:31:17

The thing is with Rod Liddle, he seems to despise The Guardian as well.

Lilygran Fri 12-Sep-14 09:40:46

That's very funny, bags grin. Use of RB by BBC is all part of their sad attempt to attract the yoof to programmes they don't watch. And what is so pitiful is that the yoof icons they use are often their parents' generation. Grow up, RB and BBC.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Sep-14 09:44:36

Where in the article does it say RB is going to have anything to with newsnight?

That interview was ages ago.

Am I reading the same article?

Liddle is simply suggesting the programme's interviews are going to be on the same level as the Russell Brand one. Smacks of journo jealousy to me.

petallus Fri 12-Sep-14 09:47:24

You could have a point there jingle.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Sep-14 09:50:28

Far be it from me to defend RB. But the article is just so unfair to him! Such mean tactics.