Gransnet forums

News & politics

Just read this sad tweet

(30 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Sep-14 23:30:09

" Retweeted by Robert Peston
Mark Urban ‏@MarkUrban01 33m

British hostage David Haines has been murdered by ISIS. And they have threatened another Briton on camera. They are goading UK to strike."

Poor man.

Soutra Sat 13-Sep-14 23:31:27

sad I am very sorry to hear that. B****rds.angry

Ana Sat 13-Sep-14 23:32:43

sad

merlotgran Sat 13-Sep-14 23:40:03

Terrible sad angry

Deedaa Sat 13-Sep-14 23:49:19

Beyond words sad

HollyDaze Sat 13-Sep-14 23:49:22

Very sad news. Nothing they do can surprise me anymore.

MiniMouse Sat 13-Sep-14 23:49:39

Oh how awful. Desperately sad for him and his family sad

Coolgran65 Sun 14-Sep-14 05:02:15

Very sad.

Mishap Sun 14-Sep-14 07:45:07

How dreadful. His poor family. It does look like deliberate provocation. I am glad that I am not the one who has to take these decisions. Such evil in the world. It makes me despair for the future for my very dear GC.

Kiora Sun 14-Sep-14 08:24:22

Cowards, cowards. How can killing a defenceless human-being be justified. Their murderers pure and simple. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

Iam64 Sun 14-Sep-14 09:00:01

words fail me

Soutra Sun 14-Sep-14 09:23:06

It is all very well politicians and religious leaders in the West decrying this barbarity, we also need Muslim leaders and religious men to speak out and condemn. As it stands attitudes can only harden between Muslims and non-Muslims.

suebailey1 Sun 14-Sep-14 09:25:53

Barbarians! We need Muslim leaders to come out publicly and condemn these acts and talk about the real teachings and meaning of the Koran.

thatbags Sun 14-Sep-14 09:29:47

I think some have spoken out against the barbarity. Let there be more of them speaking louder soon. And ordinary civilised Muslims. sad

Charleygirl Sun 14-Sep-14 09:38:31

I wonder how many other Britons are being held? Unlike France and other countries we do not pay ransom money to buy weaponry etc. for these barbarians. I rarely say it but in this instance "an eye for an eye" etc. I would love to give out a dose of their own medicine. The poor families.flowers

thatbags Sun 14-Sep-14 09:53:44

Ordinary Muslim speaking up.

nigglynellie Sun 14-Sep-14 12:03:38

I sometimes wonder if perhaps ordinary (what word can I use?) Muslims simply dare not speak out against these monsters as they could be targeted anytime anywhere. A bit like the IRA during the troubles. These 'people' are very frightening, and as we see will literally stop at nothing, and it's a brave (foolish?) person who will put their family from the smallest baby to the oldest granny in mortal danger. I don't know, it's just a theory.
These poor men, it doesn't bear thinking about, but even an idea of what you do and how you handle it is beyond me.

Nonnie Sun 14-Sep-14 12:20:54

They are cowards. If they think they are so right in what they are doing why do they cover their faces? Deep down they know they are just hugs.

nigglynellie Sun 14-Sep-14 12:30:50

They ARE cowards and thugs, but what in God's name do we DO about them? Backing off leaves them free to murder and terrorise anyone who differs from them in any shape or form, continue to support those who challenge them and there will be more of these dreadful murders. It is just a shocking dilemma for governments and seemingly insolvable.

Nonnie Sun 14-Sep-14 13:18:32

Whatever our political persuasion surely we must all feel how hard it must be for David Cameron to have to stand up and speak about this knowing that we cannot agree to ransom while also knowing how the families and friends are suffering. What a hard thing for anyone to have to do. To know that it was quite likely the murderer was a Brit and that more are held and could face the same fate. I am in pieces just thinking about it.

rosesarered Sun 14-Sep-14 13:44:32

The only answer is to bomb them . Air strikes all the time. No other answer to this.

soop Sun 14-Sep-14 14:54:26

I am of the same view point, rosesarered

whitewave Sun 14-Sep-14 15:03:32

What is happening at the UN? Surely there isn't a country who has any sympathy with this barbarity? So why is nothing being done?

The point is that not only are these high profile killings being carried out but also dreadful stuff to the different inhabitants of these countries.

GrannyTwice Sun 14-Sep-14 15:53:35

Russia backs Isis ( and Syria and Iran of course)

Coolgran65 Sun 14-Sep-14 16:06:59

I feel so much at a loss and so angry and sad.
The poor families of the two journalists and the aid worker.

There are so many Muslims all over the world who will be good people. I think they will be afraid to speak up. I wonder how many of these fanatical people are quietly living here in UK (and all over the world) amongst the normal Muslim community and watching and keeping note.
I said to my husband, what about uplifting the known fanatics here in the UK and ..... some form of internment .... yes, I know this is extreme.... I'm just thinking aloud. No doubt the innocent would be uplifted along with the fanatics, turmoil and protest or worse coming to our own streets.

Don't mind me, I'm just at a loss and rambling.